Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #191
ThaBrewFather06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proboscidea
I made a 3-gallon batch of this, and it's fermenting at Day 6 right now. A couple of learnings so far:

1) Didn't want to spring for Alexander's Muscat concentrate, so I looked for a grocery stores equivalent. Ta-da: Welch's White Grape Juice concentrate, available in some stores (got mine in Safeway). White, not purple, because of the color. We'll see how it turns out. It may be a bit more "grape"-y than using muscat concentrate, and if does turn out grape-o-rama-riffic, perhaps scale back next time.

2) Added the grape juice concentrate on Day 5. This made the krausen go crazy. Like, the 3-gallon batch in a 5-gallon bucket is touching the lid today (Day 6). So, be prepared for that to happen maybe. I'm using US-05 BTW.

3) Didn't add saffron. The recipe's small amount won't affect the taste one way or another. And the beer is already yellow, so ... meh. Although if we're futzing with the recipe anyway, and want the beer to be yellow-yellow instead of beer-tan-yellow, some may wish to consider turmeric as a cheaper alternative, if you already have some lying around from Indian cooking, for example. Warning, though: it does have a more assertive flavor than saffron. Sort of mustard-rutabaga-ish. Since I already altered the grape juice component, I didn't screw with adding turmeric here. Too many variables.

We'll see how it turns out.
I really feel that the saffron adds quiet a bit of flavor. I have had recipe both ways and there is a BIG difference in the taste. I feel this is the one thing you cannot leave out, it is NOT just for color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #192
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post
I really feel that the saffron adds quiet a bit of flavor. I have had recipe both ways and there is a BIG difference in the taste. I feel this is the one thing you cannot leave out, it is NOT just for color.
I'm Spanish, I grew up with Saffron in my dishes. I agree whole heartedly that there is a distinct flavor to it, even in the tiniest amount.

People use some common sense here, it's not the MOST EXPENSIVE AND PRIZED SPICE ON THE PLANET just because it lends a pretty color to things...If it were just color, there's other cheaper alternatives.

It lends a subtle earthiness to dishes, you only need a little because it is pretty potent.

I love it "A few springs can't add much to things, so I left it out..."IN COOKING we only add a few strands to things, you DON'T Need to dump pounds of this stuff. It's not like some cheap artificial flavoring agent that folks dump willy nilly. It's not something you hamfistedly use in things, used with discretion and subtlety.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #193
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I hear ya. But at the same time, a few sprigs costs a million berjillion dollars, and El Cheapo here wants to see if that expense can be circumvented.

Personally, I'm not looking to make a clone. I'm much too crappy of a brewer to ever hope anything will taste like the stuff it's supposed to, even with the right ingredients. But if it tastes good in general -- if the grocery store white grape juice is not cloying, if it tastes okay without the saffron, if it's balanced and drinkable -- then I'm happy. I like the grape-ness in DFH's brew (interesting & unique), so if mine comes out tasting okay (not a clone, but not vomit-inducing either), I think it would be a semi-valuable data point to share my substitutions & results for the benefit of the more, ahem, "frugal" brewers here. If it turns out barfy, I'll be honest and say so. But on the other hand, if it does turn out barfy, it's probably my technique and/or the grocery store grape juice as opposed to the lack of saffron. I can't wait to try it, though! Yum.

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #194
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If you're ever for a lack of ingredients you'd be surprised how cheap stuff is on amazon as far as bulk/rare spices are concerned. Happy Brewing.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #195
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proboscidea
I hear ya. But at the same time, a few sprigs costs a million berjillion dollars, and El Cheapo here wants to see if that expense can be circumvented.

Personally, I'm not looking to make a clone. I'm much too crappy of a brewer to ever hope anything will taste like the stuff it's supposed to, even with the right ingredients. But if it tastes good in general -- if the grocery store white grape juice is not cloying, if it tastes okay without the saffron, if it's balanced and drinkable -- then I'm happy. I like the grape-ness in DFH's brew (interesting & unique), so if mine comes out tasting okay (not a clone, but not vomit-inducing either), I think it would be a semi-valuable data point to share my substitutions & results for the benefit of the more, ahem, "frugal" brewers here. If it turns out barfy, I'll be honest and say so. But on the other hand, if it does turn out barfy, it's probably my technique and/or the grocery store grape juice as opposed to the lack of saffron. I can't wait to try it, though! Yum.
Trader joes has enough for four five gallon batches for 8$ . That's 2$ per batch. Not so expensive.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #196
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post
Trader joes has enough for four five gallon batches for 8$ . That's 2$ per batch. Not so expensive.
And you know...it's very good to actually cook with the rest.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #197
planetb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am about to make this, Any suggestions on what light malt extract to use? Also what type of Clove Honey would someone suggest? My local store has a store brand for $3.99 a pound..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #198
GluStick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Midas touch

Hey all, i went ahead and brewed this recipe up about a week ago now. It seems to be doing well in the primary fermenter. I followed the recipe exactly and i have high hopes for this one, probably because it was so expensive to brew But again, i have high hopes. There has been no crazy krausen or anything yet like i have read about. This is but my third brew that ive done, im a noob still but i have a good teacher that is always in touch. I have never had the commercial brew, but i have heard good things and am excited to try the finished product.

Quick Reply