Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
Reddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Just basic 2-row...nothing else needed for that side of it...Since the original is simply light malt extract and nothing else.
How much do you think for that OG? I'm thinking of trying something like this but with apple instead of grape.
Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Midas Touch Update

OK so being a new brewer we have some good news and some bad news. I bottled all 5 gallons of it in 12, 16, and 23 oz bottles. It has been conditioning for almost 3 weeks now. I was on my couch watching tv the other day and POP came from the closet where the beer was. 2 of the bottles blew up. After researching a little bit I found out that White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast has an attenuation of 80% or more. I started with a 1.062 gravity. But after 3 days I added the muscat concentrate which added a ton of sugar to the batch. I had a hard time finding anything on the web that showed how much gravity this added to the beer (I think one website showed it adds .005?). My FG was 1.022 which was high but I figured this was about 2/3 fermented so I thought I should be ok. These are the steps that I followed and I think I know what the error was. I fermented for 7 days and then put it in the secondary for 3 weeks. I believe I took it off the yeast too early and it didn't hit a lower FG. After 3 weeks in the secondary it was still bubbling but slower and the gravity stayed at 1.022. I put the 12 oz bottles in the fridge for now hoping that they won't blow up. The 16 and 23 oz bottles are really thick so hopefully I should be ok. The problem is that the beer is super carbonated. The good news is that it tastes good so far. It is still green but I can taste a little bit of the honey and the muscat makes it dry. Reminds me a belgian style that uses honey (Barbar). The saffron doesn't come through that much but it is a powerful spice so I didn't want to overdue it with too much.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

When figuring out your expected FG on this beer it is pretty safe to just use the malt. The sugars in the grape juice and honey will completely ferment so they don't contribute to the FG.

The muscat juice concentrate is 68 Brix, which translates to 68% sugar. You can estimate the SG it adds by using the weight of the juice times 0.68 and treat it as sugar.

Craig

Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
Valorale
Recipes 

Got some questions that I hope the more experienced guys can answer

This is my 2nd brewing attempt, last one was a euro bock kit so im still a bit new, thought this one looked easy enough though.

1. Edit: Had a fermentation question but Revvy answered it in another thread

2. Have questions here "After the most vigorous fermentation subsides (about 3 days), add the White Muscat grape juice concentrate. Rock the baby again." So I open up the fermentation bucket, dump the concentrate in it, how much should I shake it up? Will the yeast consume a lot of the sugar in this juice?

3. Ferment for 5 to 7 more days then rack to secondary fermenter. is this just for clarity?

Last edited by Valorale; 04-28-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
Halaster
Recipes 

I typically leave mine in the primary for 2 weeks, then move it over to the secondary. Depending on the brew I leave it for 2 weeks. For a high grav IPA with 6-10 oz of hops I leave it for 2-4 weeks in the secondary.

Typically if I am dry hopping I'll go 2 weeks in the secondary before adding the dry hops for 2 more.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #16
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

This is one I brew quite a bit of. Mrs Zac just loves it, and everybody who has tasted it really likes it. I'd have to check mt brew sheet, but I think I use 6lbs or 2-row & thats it.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
moeron15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Very interested too... I keep pushing this one back. Mostly because saffron is pricey as hell!!! What's the concensus... Will it be good without it? Can anything sub for it?
Just started a variation on this today. I found a .5g package of saffron at the local Indian spice store for 4.99. Doesn't seem like a deal killer at all. I'm going to substitute loganberry juice for the grape juice and see what happens =). I'm also going to use 4.5 lb of British 2-row and 4 lb of light DME.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
Joe_in_GA
Recipes 

My wife and I love this beer. I think I'll try to make it soon. Quick question: do you need to boil or sanitize the grape juice somehow before adding it to the fermenter, or do you just pour it in?

Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
shadowmage36
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just make sure the juice is pasturized and preservative free. You should be just fine then. And the recipe calls for concentrate, not actually juice, so be careful of that, too.

So many things to keep track of...Not enough space to write about it anymore.
Just click the stupidly large link below to see:

Two Ravens Brewing

"Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."
-E.A. Poe, "Lines on Ale"

Follow me on Twitter: @tworavensbrew

Member of the American Society of Brewing Chemists
http://www.asbcnet.org

Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
nbspindel
Recipes 

marking this to brew this weekend. Looks great! any ideas on where to get saffron cheaper? i just found .06 oz for $20!!! its gonna be costly.

*Bayou Brewhouse, established 2009*

Quick Reply