Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #171
sathrovarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerj81

Yeah, make sure it says "not from concentrate" but I would consider reducing it by half or so by cooking it in a pot on the stove. That will reduce the volume, concentrate the sugars, and sanitize it all in 1 shot.
Yeah thats a good idea. Do you know what is the volume of the Alexander's Muscat?
And another question - I bought saffron but I think the threads are shorter than normal, does anybody knows how much saffron this recipe calls for in milligrams? Or maybe in teaspoons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #172
zimmerj81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr

Yeah thats a good idea. Do you know what is the volume of the Alexander's Muscat?
And another question - I bought saffron but I think the threads are shorter than normal, does anybody knows how much saffron this recipe calls for in milligrams? Or maybe in teaspoons?
The volume of Alexander's is 46oz. As far as the saffron goes, I'm pretty sure I used a 1/2 teaspoon. I'd have to check my brew notes to be certain. I wouldn't recommend going by weight as your food scale isn't accurate enough for accurately weighing mg's.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #173
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerj81 View Post
The volume of Alexander's is 46oz. As far as the saffron goes, I'm pretty sure I used a 1/2 teaspoon. I'd have to check my brew notes to be certain. I wouldn't recommend going by weight as your food scale isn't accurate enough for accurately weighing mg's.
Oh, I thought ounce is used only as a mass unit... Thanks.
Are you sure half a teaspoon is enough? Because on Mr. Beer's recipe (which is very similar) they are using half a teaspoon for only 2 gallons and this recipe is for 5.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #174
zimmerj81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr

Oh, I thought ounce is used only as a mass unit... Thanks.
Are you sure half a teaspoon is enough? Because on Mr. Beer's recipe (which is very similar) they are using half a teaspoon for only 2 gallons and this recipe is for 5.
Northern Brewer said 46oz..pretty sure it meant 46 fluid oz. I checked & I only used 1/2 teaspoon of saffron. A little bit goes a long way. I used mine in the boil & I definitely noticed a color contribution. However, I either read in the article posted in this thread from a Dogfish Head brewer or on a Brewing Network show featuring Sam Calagione that they only use the saffron after primary fermentation for its aroma.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #175
azoteman213
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hello fellow homebrewers! Just to give an update. I bottled this beer on June 7. I was having carbonation issues (i.e. beer not carbonated after a 3 weeks). I started rousing the bottles every now and then and last week when I opened the bottle it finally had some head and some bubble nucleation on the bottle of my wine glass. I do not know if it was the rousing or just the amount of time it has been in the bottle. When it was flat it was good, kind of like drinking still mead or wine, but did not feel like beer. Now that it is carbonated I feel the flavor has improved and I finally feel like I am drinking a beer. If you bottle condition this beer, please be patient and you will be rewarded. I am just sorry I am down to my last bottles (I probably should have used only 12oz bottles instead of both bombers and 12oz). Hopefully I still have a bottle left a month form now so I can taste it with more carbonation. I crash cooled my last batch and added the same amount of priming sugar and still got carbonation in two weeks. I am no yeast expert, but I am blaming the higher alcohol content for the slow carbonation (I guess the yeasteas can get drunk too) Good luck with to all those that will brew this and those who are still aging some bottles. And if patience fails, there is always kegging. Happy brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoteman213 View Post
This is how I did a 5 gallon all grain batch. I brewed it on April 18. I used 13 pounds of pale malt and mashed at 148F (I was worried about attenuation). I added .50 oz of Simcoe at 60 minutes and the 10 threads of saffron at flameout but did not add the honey in the boil. The O.G was 1.061. On the third day of fermentation I added ~2 pounds of mesquite honey (some was left int he bottom of the jar so it is less than that) and the 32 oz of Muscat grape juice concentrate. With this addition and the assumption of 2 pounds of honey I calculated 1.092 OG using beer smith to calculate the gravity of the honey (14 points) and I used the brix to caclulate the amount of sugar added (1.89lb sugar = 1.017 points)*.

I pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 1056 and fermented between 18C and 19C for the first few days then dialed it in to 18.5C and 19C for the remainder of the fermentation. I transferred to secondary on June 7 and crash cooled it between 3C and 5C until today when I bottled it. The F.G. was 1.006. It had a noticeable honey aroma so I am looking forward to tasting it and sharing the results in a couple of weeks.

I wish all of you happy brewing and I hope you can enjoy your brews soon!

azoteman213

*To calculate the gravity contribution of the Muscat grape juice in a 5 gallon batch:

Since Brix is sugar as a percent by weight (or mass if you want to be accurate), it is important to note the weight (or mass) of Muscate grape juice being added and not the volume.

Can of Muscat grape juice contains 4lb

(32fl.oz/46fl.oz) * 4lb = 2.78lb

Since it is a (wt/wt%) you could use the pounds directly to find out the amount of sugar being added:

2.78lb * 0.68 = 1.89lbs of sugar

If you use BeerSmith and input this amount of sugar it should give you a S.G of 1.017
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #176
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbspindel View Post
IMHO, i'd skip it. although i haven't had the original, haven't tried mine (with a hint more than what the recipe calls for), nor have i tried it without. So, i can't compare the outcome. Doesn't seem like it does much though.
After having a good amount of the commercial stuff the saffron definitely isn't for taste, but color, and the weird hard-on producing satisfaction of trying to replicate a brew from ancient times.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #177
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I just read every post on this thread!!!!! This beer is amazing from DFH I will defiantly be trying this brew in the near future. Does anyone know how long it needs to carbonate in bottles before it gets right?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #178
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

After having a good amount of the commercial stuff the saffron definitely isn't for taste, but color, and the weird hard-on producing satisfaction of trying to replicate a brew from ancient times.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for this epic brew

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #179
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

This costs 15$ per 4 PK to buyi think I can duplicate it for 50$ for 5 gal.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #180
mmjguerrilla
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06
This costs 15$ per 4 PK to buyi think I can duplicate it for 50$ for 5 gal.
It's on bro. We're making still as soon as your red sky ale is done!

Quick Reply