Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #121
EBrewFro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus2048 View Post
I think the recipe in Extreme brewing is for Liquid malt extract. If you are using DME I think you should multiply by 0.8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddyBrew View Post
HMM really...I thought I read a post some pages back that used liquid and was disappointed. I'll have to investigate, thanks for the heads up.
I used DME but did a 5gallon batch and hit the gravity on the nose. What was your initial gravity with the liquid malt extract? And did you have a 6gallon batch?
Future: Strawberry Blonde (using locally picked strawberries)

Last edited by EBrewFro; 07-28-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #122
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Remember- the recipe in the book is not for an exact clone. That's a recipe based on one of the test batches (10 gallons) used to formulate the final AG recipe for this beer. The brewery also buys ingredients in bulk so there are lots of unknown variables.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #123
CastorRJ1
Recipes 

Quote:
Looks like I can by a half a gram of saffron for 7 bucks. Is a half a gram enough?
You have to be cautious with Saffron. There are definitely some
Saffrons that aren't full-blown Saffrons. If I remember correctly,
what constitutes REAL Saffron is the stigma and ONLY the stigma of the crocus
flower. Some companies mix the stigmas in with other parts of the
flower as a sort of "filler" which drives the cost down from way high
to reasonable. I remember watching and episode of "Good Eats" with
Alton Brown one night when he was making paella and he explained the
Saffron industry and what to be aware of. It's definitely worth a
watch in your spare time. Here's a link to his little bit on Saffron: http://bit.ly/orBGLs

Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #124
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I finally got around to brewing this today. The only deviation from the recipe is I did the 75 min boil with 2.5 gallons, as I don't have anything big enough yet to brew 6 gallons. Other than that I followed the instructions and topped off to 6 gallons. Pitching temp was 68 degrees. Target OG was supposed to be 1.086, mine came in at 1.058. Any ideas what could have happened? I mixed and stirred the wort and top off water for about 5 minutes to ensure it mixed well. The only thing I can think of is it was supposed to really be 5 gallons? Would boiling 6 gallons for 75 minutes boil off 1 gallon? However it shows it being a 6.5 gallon batch. Or is the Muscat grape juice figured into the formula even though you add it after 3 days?

I'm sure it's still going to turn out great, just confused why the OG came in so low.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #125
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I still haven't done this one. SOmeday.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #126
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I finally got around to brewing this today. The only deviation from the recipe is I did the 75 min boil with 2.5 gallons, as I don't have anything big enough yet to brew 6 gallons. Other than that I followed the instructions and topped off to 6 gallons. Pitching temp was 68 degrees. Target OG was supposed to be 1.086, mine came in at 1.058. Any ideas what could have happened? I mixed and stirred the wort and top off water for about 5 minutes to ensure it mixed well. The only thing I can think of is it was supposed to really be 5 gallons? Would boiling 6 gallons for 75 minutes boil off 1 gallon? However it shows it being a 6.5 gallon batch. Or is the Muscat grape juice figured into the formula even though you add it after 3 days?

I'm sure it's still going to turn out great, just confused why the OG came in so low.
anyone?
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #127
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the muscat juice sugar is factored in. Mine came out with a high abv. Brewed 6 gal in Feb and its still a little hot. I used dme instead of lme and my OG was 1.070.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #128
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcorpia View Post
I think the muscat juice sugar is factored in. Mine came out with a high abv. Brewed 6 gal in Feb and its still a little hot. I used dme instead of lme and my OG was 1.070.
Thanks I used LME. Glad to see I'm not the only one to miss TOG.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #129
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mixed in the Muscat last night. Holy heavy Krausen, yeasties are having an orgy with that stuff

Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #130
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Krausen is finally going down a little. Had me concerned for a minute. I have it in one of the new Coopers fermentors which is holds somewhere between 7-8 gallons with no airlock, it came right up to the lid before going back down some....whew!

Quick Reply