Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 AM   #111
danorocks17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i'm surprised that they use/recommend 1056 for this beer. I have some and i would have thought that they used a Belgian yeast. My wife bought me a 4 pack for xmas, and at first i didn't like it, but it grows on you

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #112
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcorpia View Post
absolutely.
ty!
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #113
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just had my daughter price Spanish Saffron at the grocery store she works at....$20 for .06oz

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #114
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 37

why has no one posted beer Pr0n of their home brew?

I love me some DFH Midas Touch and will have to brew this some day.

-=Jason=-

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #115
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddyBrew View Post
Just had my daughter price Spanish Saffron at the grocery store she works at....$20 for .06oz
If you live close to a Trader Joes, I believe they sell saffron threads for around 5 or 6 bucks. I'm not sure how many, but it would be more than enough for this brew

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #116
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorocks17 View Post
If you live close to a Trader Joes, I believe they sell saffron threads for around 5 or 6 bucks. I'm not sure how many, but it would be more than enough for this brew
TY I'll check it out.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #117
cygnus2048
Recipes 

Default Midas clone update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddyBrew View Post
Finding and pricing all the ingredients. The DME I think I need is Muntons DME light, would this be the correct choice?
I think the recipe in Extreme brewing is for Liquid malt extract. If you are using DME I think you should multiply by 0.8.

I finally tasted mine tonight after two weeks bottle conditioning. I did a side-by-side comparison with a genuine 2010 Midas and I must admit I was disappointed. While I thought it tasted very good, it did not hold up to the real Midas. The taste of my clone compared to the genuine was pretty close, however, the nose was totally different. The original had strong sense of honey and grapes while mine was much more subdued. Mine is still under-carbonated and if it truly clocks in at ~11% then I'm not sure the 1056 yeast-ies can really finish the job. I did a gravity check on the genuine compared to mine and measured ~1.020 vs. 1.014. Not much difference there but I definitely notice more alcohol and less sweetness mine compared to the genuine.

In general, it is a good beer and I like it. If it carbonates completely I will be satisfied. While not the genuine, it is still good and I foresee me trying again in the future. I suspect that my grape-concentrate addition fully fermented while in the original they stop fermentation early and preserve a lot more of the muscat character and sweetness while preventing it from becoming so dry. Hopefully time will only improve this beer.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #118
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus2048 View Post
I think the recipe in Extreme brewing is for Liquid malt extract. If you are using DME I think you should multiply by 0.8.

HMM really...I thought I read a post some pages back that used liquid and was disappointed. I'll have to investigate, thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #119
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus2048 View Post
You are correct sir, ordering the items today!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #120
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Looks like I can by a half a gram of saffron for 7 bucks. Is a half a gram enough?

Quick Reply