Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > Extract - Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #101
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You're right on to just sub out the extract with enough 2-row to get the gravity. The honey increase may be from a mash temp setting in Beer Smith or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #102
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just had this for the fist time tonight. I thought it was ok, but the SWMBO LOVED it. As I'm sure most of you know, it benefits your obsession greatly if it can also appease her . I skimmed most of the thread and didn't see this discussed, but has anyone tried this with simple white grape concentrate (maybe welch's)? I'm poor and a cheap ass, so spending $4 instead of $15 appeals to me . (BTW: as long as it is decently close, that is what matters. SWMBO probably won't be able to tell much of a difference).

Further, has anyone tried this with a higher carb level? Maybe it was just my pack, but I feel like if this was more carbed it would be a better beverage.

Thanks for you suggestions!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #103
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure you'd have the right sugars in the "simple white grape concentrate" you're talking about using. If you get it from a wine kit, then yes, but then that'd be more expensive than a can of the right stuff. When you say Welch's, do you mean the frozen kind? If so, be advised that very little of the ingredients in that are actually grape juice. The muscat grape juice in the DFH version isn't just for flavoring, it's mainly for fermentable sugars to add gravity.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #104
EBrewFro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBrewFro View Post
My brew of this has been in the fermentor for a week now. I'm about to transfer to the secondary. I used 8lbs. Light DME and because of what seems to be a nationwide lack of simcoe hops right now I just used some left over Northern Brewer hops from my last brew. Oh and I did a 3.5 gallon boil and topped off to 5 gallons in the fermentor, I mixed the solution very well and got a good OG so it's definitely not a 6 gallon batch. My OG was 1.0865 (i put the 5 there because it wasn't quite 1.087 but almost). I used a small pinch of saffron, roughly 20 threads worth. I was able to get the proper grape juice concentrate from the wine section of northernbrewer.com.

I didn't put a blow off hose on it but I did have a little bubble out of my airlock the night after adding the grape juice. No explosion though. My primary is a 6 gallon fermentor so maybe the extra headspace helped out there.

I'll keep everyone posted on how she turns out.
It's been bottled for 3 weeks to the day. My carb levels are still low, very little head when initially poured which quickly dissipates. There is a constant release of bubbles which indicates it is carbonating just hasn't gotten to where it should be yet.

The color is a rich golden with almost an amber tinge. Probably a skosh too much saffron. Very clear beer, can see perfectly through it. I would have assumed some kind of filtering process was done other than just secondary fermenting if I were evaluating someone else's beer.

On the nose it's got a bit of an estery smell that blends with the smell of the grape juice. Other than that it's malty sweetness, not sure I can even pick up on the hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth but I can feel the alcohol down my throat. The taste is very malty sweet as would be expected with a slightly dry finish.

I think once it's carbonated fully the harshness of the alcohol feel will go away. Also, I think this beer is going to need to age at least two months before all the sweet flavors have mellowed and blended.

This beer isn't where I want it to be yet but I'm very anxious. I'll post another tasting review in a month-ish. Oh, my FG was 1.015 making this a ~9.5% beer
Future: Strawberry Blonde (using locally picked strawberries)

Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #105
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My best of luck for you. I still don't really like mine, its been done since February.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #106
cygnus2048
Recipes 

Hello guys, new to this forum but have been brewing for a little over a year now. Midas is one of my favorite beers and finally gave it a try about a month ago. I thought I would share my results. I used the recipe verbatim from the Extreme Brewing book and all my SG's here are shown temp adjusted. My OG came in at 1.077 so I did not hit the expected 1.086 but I thought that number includes the muscat which was a later addition. I found some information on the web which said a 46oz can of Alexanders Concentrate will produce a gravity of 1.080 - 1.090 in 1.5gal. I used 1 liter in 5.5gal so I figure it adds an additional 17 points to my gravity yielding an effective starting gravity of 1.094. If the FG is 1.026 as the book says, the ABV should be almost exactly 9%. Now the 5oz of priming sugar will add another 0.5%, approximately, for a finished ABV of 9.5%.

I fermented in a temp-control chamber at 70F for both primary and secondary. When I racked to secondary my SG was 1.023, already below the expected 1.026, but not by much. However, after racking I did notice some resumed air-lock activity, albeit a slow bubble rate. I just bottled this past week and was very surprised that my FG was ~1.014. Including priming sugar this will come in at about 11.2%!!! I tasted it and it tastes very good already but definitely not as sweet as the real thing and the alcohol is more pronounced which seems to back up the calculations.

So my question to any of you is... Do I have incredible-hulk yeast or something here??? I used the Wyeast 1056 and wasn't expecting this kind of attenuation. Why did it ferment out so dry? Also, what could I have done to stop it at 1.026? Re-heat it a little to kill the yeast? I know filtering would work too to remove the yeast but then I couldn't bottle condition. Thanks for any insight.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #107
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine came out pretty dry and boozy also. I've been aging it sine February and it tastes like strong semi dry white wine.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #108
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have found my next brew! This one will be brewed in about 3 weeks!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #109
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Finding and pricing all the ingredients. The DME I think I need is Muntons DME light, would this be the correct choice?

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #110
Xcorpia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Absolutely.

Quick Reply