Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty Beer > All-Grain - Daddy's Little Helper Christmas Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this this past weekend. I hope I didn't leave too much spice in the kettle - it had more aroma than the carboy does. When I rack to keg, I may boil a cup of water and add a little bit more spice.

The yeasties are chugging away!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
zuko51
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I haven't really got into all grain brewing yet but this beer sounds like it would be amazing! Any suggestions for using extract and grain?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
Brewed this this past weekend. I hope I didn't leave too much spice in the kettle - it had more aroma than the carboy does. When I rack to keg, I may boil a cup of water and add a little bit more spice.

The yeasties are chugging away!
First taste today - not much spice flavor. I think my fear of leaving too much spice in the kettle is confirmed.

I think I'm going to boil a cup of water, add some more spice, cool it, and chunk it in. Any thoughts about this?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
hotbrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
First taste today - not much spice flavor. I think my fear of leaving too much spice in the kettle is confirmed.

I think I'm going to boil a cup of water, add some more spice, cool it, and chunk it in. Any thoughts about this?
it's not supposed to have a heavy spice profile. The rest of the spices should be singing backup to the ginger. If you don't taste any ginger then you messed up somewhere.

I would throw all the spices into a spice ball and boil 3 or 4 cups of spring water for 5 minutes. leave the spice ball in there and cover the pot as it cools. When it gets to room temp, take the spice ball out and pour it into your bottling bucket or keg. Then rack on top of the spice water.

On Twitter @hotbrew

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm a lil preocupied with worrying about being killed by the mob because a homeless priest ran off with all of our drugs!"

Quick Reply