Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas in Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this today, smells so fruity, but has a heavier alcohol taste now than when I secondaried. This will be great for Christmas!

Brewed this today and it's in the fermenter. I may pull it out of primary after 7 days though instead of 14. But I still plan on secondary for 14 days and aging at 38 for a while until Xmas Parties.

moved mine to secondary today - took a little taste and it's great so far. I did ferment mine a little higher (72) for more banana flavor. Seems like the 1214 has banana flavor anyhow from reading about it though.

Anyways, pretty anxious for this beer.

I caved in and tried a bottle too early, not even a month! A little green, too much ginger, but that was my fault on the secondary addition. Some delicious hints of fruit notes.

I did this recipe to, now i am in secondary, and the raw taste is incredible. I had 1.078 OG and 1.014 Gravity after primary fermentation.
I used a yeast that i harvest from a comercial beer (Pater Lieven - Bruin ) because i didn`t had other solution.
Olso i used Saphir hops instead of Spalter ( out of stock at my local shop) and some Magnum to achieve the recipe bitternes.
Instead of candy syrup i used home made candi sugar, and because of this my color isn`t so dark.
Can wait to feel it after secondary finish.

Thanks Poobah58 for sharing this great recipe.

Just kegged mine

very alcoholic, very gingery....definitely needs aging but that's why I'm kegging it on November 16th. I can't wait to taste this at christmas

I bottled mine, added a second vanilla bean for 5 days more to improve the flavor, but with no efect. The zante curants are dominant in mine beer, in future i will not use them. I can wait to taste it after aging, and maybe the condiment flavors will rise up.

Pissed!!! My XMAS beer is sour! My Pumpkin Saison has also soured. First infections in over 130 batches... Think I have found the problem. At least I hope so!!!

that sucks. Mine is finally carbed up but it tastes a little strong at the end still. Hoping that fades.

Had a bottle of the 2013 batch over the weekend. Time was good to this brew.

Very good I tried it again today after its fully carbed up. The only regret I have is that I think I should have just made it a tad darker. Mine came out brown but for all the vanilla and Christmas flavors in it I feel like it should be darker.

Brewing up a batch right now! Scaled this down to 3-gallons as it's my first all grain (BIAB) after six extract batches. Really looking forward to this one!

Bottled tonight. Cardamom was a little strong. I should've added another vanilla bean. Hoping it mellows out a bit before Thanksgiving. I imagine that it will. I'll follow-up. Thanks again for the recipe! :mug:

Poobah, how long do you let this one mature? I see 14d in secondary for the extra spices. I'd let it sit for longer but that's just me. Once bottled, I reckon all these spices would warrant at least 4-6 weeks of cellaring before it all comes together.

Poobah, how long do you let this one mature? I see 14d in secondary for the extra spices. I'd let it sit for longer but that's just me. Once bottled, I reckon all these spices would warrant at least 4-6 weeks of cellaring before it all comes together.
I usually give it a month in the keg before tapping. We brew 1st or second week in October and its ready 1st week of December.

I made this recipe last year in september, second week, and i can say that after 9 months of ageing it become good, with spices blending good.

Cracked one open. The spices have mellowed out and everything is starting to blend well. I think I might brew up another batch here in the next couple of months so I have plenty to hand out this winter. Thanks again Poohbah!

I've been searching for a Winter/Christmas beer to brew. This recipe looks delicious but seeing that it will be November, 22nd before I can brew it, it will be far past Christmas before it's ready. Will this be too heavy of a beer to tap in January/February?

Also, is the recipe in the OP updated to reflect the changes I've been reading in this thread?

Thanks!

P.S. If you have other suggestions for a quicker grain to glass Christmas Ale, please point me in the right direction.

I still use the original recipe. Change up the hops with what I have. Been using WY3787 the last few years. Kinda like it better. I tap near XMAS and is a fine beer in Jan/Feb!

I still use the original recipe. Change up the hops with what I have. Been using WY3787 the last few years. Kinda like it better. I tap near XMAS and is a fine beer in Jan/Feb!

Thank you Sir. Plugging this into BS and checking my LHBS for ingredients.

A few questions if I may:

1) Do you have any water treatment/profile suggestions?

I use RO water and treat accordingly.

2) I notice in the OP there are two different boil times (75 vs 90). Which one is the latest?

3) I have only done batch sparking, is this OK? If so, how long and at what temp?

Thanks!

Thank you Sir. Plugging this into BS and checking my LHBS for ingredients.

A few questions if I may:

1) Do you have any water treatment/profile suggestions?

I use RO water and treat accordingly.

2) I notice in the OP there are two different boil times (75 vs 90). Which one is the latest?

3) I have only done batch sparking, is this OK? If so, how long and at what temp?

Thanks!

1. I shoot for this: Ca 50, Mg 7, Na 5, SO2 75, Cl 60, HCO3 0
2. Been doing 75 min boil.
3. Doesn't matter if you fly or batch sparge. Mash temps are the same. See OP. If 1-step is desired go with 150F for 90 min.

Poobah,
I have a question regarding Mash pH.

1) How do you target and control the mash pHwhen doing a multi step mash?
2) Do you add your Ca additions to the mash volume or in the kettle?

Poobah,
I have a question regarding Mash pH.

1) How do you target and control the mash pHwhen doing a multi step mash?
2) Do you add your Ca additions to the mash volume or in the kettle?

I use Bru N Water and treat both ma sh and sparge water. I have a RIMS and Herms system so I use a temperature mash. Makes life easier.

I use Bru N Water and treat both ma sh and sparge water. I have a RIMS and Herms system so I use a temperature mash. Makes life easier.

Gotcha. I decided to go with a one step infusion mash this time. Mashing right now. Preparing my boil ingredients.

Appreciate the help!

Have had this in the keg for about a week and am thinking I may need to add a little ginger to the keg. It just doesn't seem as flavorful as the last time I brewed it

Just read this thread... Was hoping people would be brewing in 2019 by the time I got to the end. Still a fun read.

Anyone brewing this? Also, OP, did you figure out the cause of your infections a few years ago?

Back