Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas Ale (Great Lakes Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1028
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
17.09 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Christmas!
Recipe update for Fall 2011!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1028 or WLP013
Yeast Starter: Basic
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: ~30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: ~15
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes:

[size=+2]Christmas Ale (Great Lakes)[/size]
[size=+1]21-B Seasonal/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer[/size]

Original Gravity: 1.072 (1.026 - 1.120)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (0.995 - 1.035)
|=================#==============|
Color: 14.71 (1.0 - 50.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 7.09% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|==============#=================|
Bitterness: 28.6 (0.0 - 100.0)
|============#===================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
12 lb 2-Row
1 lb White Wheat
1 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
.25 lb Special Roast Malt
.15 lb Roasted Barley

1.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

1.0 lb Honey @ flameout
2 ea Cinnamon (stick) - add at flameout
2 oz Ginger (fresh) - add at flameout

Mash at 154 for 60min

Taste your hydro samples and evaluate spice character. You can toss a few cinnamon sticks and a few teaspoons of fresh ginger in secondary if you need a boost.

EDIT 9/27/13* From Great Lakes Website this year
Ingredients:
MALT
Harrington 2-Row Base Malt:
Allows color and flavorfrom other specialty malts to come through; makes for a very clean beer
Wheat:Adds body and head retention
Crystal 45:Contributes to copper color and addssweet caramel aroma and flavor
Special Roast:Contributes subtle hints of toasty andbiscuit flavors
Roasted Barley:
Added in small amounts to contribute to overall complexity and color without overwhelming
HOPS
Mt. Hood:
U.S. Provides subtle spicy and earthy aromas
Cascade:Used as an aroma hop; citrusy aroma complements beer’s heavy spices
SPICES
Honey:An adjunct to add strength and fresh floral notes
Cinnamon:Imparts festive aroma and flavor
Fresh Ginger:Adds spicy aroma and flavor
ABV 7.5%
ABW 6.0%
IBU 30
GRAVITY 17P

Not too different here. They just used Mt. Hood this go round which is a hallertau relative.

Sounds awesome. Do you keep the cinnamon and ginger in the primary for the 10 days for just while cooling of the wort?

Sounds awesome. Do you keep the cinnamon and ginger in the primary for the 10 days for just while cooling of the wort?

I put them both in at flame out and also I also toss a few cinnamon sticks and a few teaspoons of fresh ginger in secondary. Let me know how yours turns out.

I added it after primary was done, but you could also add it in towards the end of the boil. Not sure whats best...

I added it after primary was done, but you could also add it in towards the end of the boil. Not sure whats best...

i'd vote for flameout for the extra ABV kick. Candycanes is an interesting idea, could make a syrup for the primary. Someone else should try this before me so I don't ruin a batch expirementing...

i'd like to try this recipe this year, where do you guys buy your grain? i'm having a hard time finding all the ingredients at the same site.

I suppose you could do either or even brown sugar. Neither is going to impart much flavor, specially honey. I would go with brown sugar to try to get a holiday flavor out of it. I just went with corn sugar.

I get my grain from my LHBS - Perfect Brewing Supply (www.perfectbrewingsupply.com). The 2-Row that they have is from Rahr (Minnesota). Special roast and roasted barley are from Briess (Wisconsin). I assume they gave me Briess Crystal 40 and Rahr White Wheat (they also have Gambrinus Organic Wheat Malt), but would have to check my receipt. They also have local honey. I got whole ginger and cinnamon sticks from a local market. Hope that helps.

I mashed at 154 for 60 min. I'm fairly new to AG and therefor have little info/reason to back up that decision...

I see on the Great Lakes website that this is listed as 40 IBU. Any reason your recipe is at 21 IBU? Thanks!

Hmm, I guess it needs a little tweaking. I researched every other clone recipe I could find and got as much info from the brewers and put together my best effort. I'm hoping to make it as close as possible with input from everyone who takes a stab. If you have hop schedule suggestions I would be receptive.

I get my grain from my LHBS - Perfect Brewing Supply (www.perfectbrewingsupply.com). The 2-Row that they have is from Rahr (Minnesota). Special roast and roasted barley are from Briess (Wisconsin). I assume they gave me Briess Crystal 40 and Rahr White Wheat (they also have Gambrinus Organic Wheat Malt), but would have to check my receipt. They also have local honey. I got whole ginger and cinnamon sticks from a local market. Hope that helps.

you think something like this might work?

Screenshot-1.png

Hmm, I guess it needs a little tweaking. I researched every other clone recipe I could find and got as much info from the brewers and put together my best effort. I'm hoping to make it as close as possible with input from everyone who takes a stab. If you have hop schedule suggestions I would be receptive.

Here is my hop schedule for my GLCA clone.

2.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 34.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

Also, what all info did you get from the brewer at GL?

Would love to know what they said and how our grain bills compare.

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.52 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.50 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.50 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 3.75 %
0.08 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.60 %
1.25 oz Ginger Root (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.50 tsp Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.75 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 13.13 %
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Hey folks, I've been studying all of the Christmas ale threads on here, I'm an extra brewer for now, can i follow the above and do a partial grain, essentially sub DME for the 9 lb pale malt? thanks in advance!

I emailed them this recipe:
Christmas Ale

Size: 5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.077 (1.000 - 1.100)
Terminal Gravity: 1.019 (1.000 - 1.100)
Color: 12.19 (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 7.67% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 21.0 (0.0 - 50.0)

Ingredients:
12.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb Midwest Wheat Malt
.5 lb Crystal 45
.5 lb Special Roast Malt
1.0 lb Honey
2.0 tsp Cinnamon (stick) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2.0 tsp Ginger (fresh) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

Yeast: WLP007 Dry English Ale

and they responded with this:
"You are actually very close with your recipe!! We actually use a higher percentage of wheat and crystal 45, a lower percentage of special roast, and a small amount of roasted barley. We also use Wyeast 1028 yeast. With that you should be pretty close. Good Luck!!"

if you boil honey, it becomes sugar, so its a waste, if your gonna boil it just use table sugar. Add honey after primary fermentation is done (or winding down)

When will you add the honey? I've read some places tend to add it at flame out, others at the 30 minute mark.

If brewing this with extract and specialty grain, which extract should be used? Also, what is the fermenting time and temperature?

I add the honey at flameout. Some recomend doing it in secondary because much of the honey aroma and flavor is driven off in c02. Its been well balanced for me at flameout though.

Gator. You can pretty much always sub 2row with light extract

I converted this to a partial mash and did a couple of other slight adjustments. Bottled it yesterday and it tasted great at bottling. I could drink it out of my primary all night. Pretty excited about how this one will be after it's been bottled a few weeks.

Maxam,
I wanted to follow up and thank you for this recipe. I brewed this beer over Thanksgiving and it turned out great, very close to Great Lakes. I used your basic grain bill although I used 40L crystal malt rather than 45L. I also upped the bitterness to about 30 IBU:
1 oz Hallertau (4%) 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5%) 30 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5%) 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5%) 5 min
I added the honey at flameout and did not add any ginger or cinnamon to the secondary.
Although I was pleased, I may increase the hops a bit more next time to balance the cinnamon a little better. Overall very happy, thanks again for sharing!

Well I missed christmas on this one but its done. Kind of.. and I need some tips. I just cracked open my first 2 bottles the other day, no carbonation and no head. This is only my 4th batch so I'm still learning. Any tips on what I can do to? I had it fermenting at about a 68. Bottle storage has been the same. After all the weeks in the fermenters could the yeast have settled and not worked on the priming sugar? Should I add more yeast and recap? It smelled so good at bottling...

2 weeks is not a suffient bottling period. Although i have had trouble this year with the 1028 carbing as well. Never in the past before. Give it at least 2 more weeks and try gently rousing the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Back