San Juan Island Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluWtrBrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
sorry
Final Gravity
sorry
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
sorry
Color
Honey - Gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
16 at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Very strong taste of honey and complex grains. (no honey in recipe)
Ingredients:

3.5 gal Washington Springs Spring Water
4 Lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Vienna
8.0 oz Crystal C20
1 lb Franz San Juan Island 9 Grain baking mix containing whole (WHEAT, OATS, TRITICALE, BARLEY, FLAXSEED, AMARANTH, RYE, CORN MEAL and SUNFLOWER SEEDS)
0.75 Oz Centenial Hops 60 minute boil
0.5 Oz Goldings
3/8 cup dark molasses for priming.

First let me apologize. My hydrometer was broken when I made this. I would not have posted it except that it turned out great for such a strange grain bill. I bought the baking mix on on the spur of the moment. I never expected it to turn out so good.

FWI, I do 2.5-3 gal batches with BIAB in a 20 quart kettle with a large bag that fits the kettle and then some.

Put all the water in the kettle and bring to a boil. Flame out. Drop in the BAIB bag and add the whole grains. Cover and soak with no insulating wrap until the temperature reaches 158F. Dough-in the malted grains. My starting mash temp was 152F. Wrapped with an afghan and placed on the counter-top. Let mash sit stirring every 15 minutes and checking temperature. The mash passed a starch test at 75 minutes. Final temp 145. Removed grain bag and drained (no squeeze as it looked like mush).

Returned to fire and brought to full rolling boil. Unbelievable hot break, watch out unless you like to clean the stove! Added Centenial hops after break. Added Goldings at 50 minutes. Dropped into a sink full of ice water. Final after boil was about 2.75 gal or a little less.

At 100F strained to primary and aerated. Aerated every couple of hours by stirring vigorously. Cast Nottingham at about 75F. Covered, locked and fermented in primary for 16 days at about 65F. Racked off to bottling bucket and added ¾ dark molasses in one cup of water micro-waved for 3 minutes. Bottled.

I actaully used to bake with that alot when i lived up there. Can you detect any hint of the amaranth taste? I Have some growing , and I've hear malted or unmalted it can have a really great nutty flavor.
I would totally try this recipe if i oculd get my hands on those grains still, maybe ill have to make a down south version, or call up some old friends.

Back