Winter Seasonal Beer Jolly Roger Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
3000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
42 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65
Tasting Notes
Wow! This is tasting great, fresh hop aroma with the sweet notes of the munich
This beer is modeled after the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale which is a seasonal beer made in Seattle. 9% ABV it is not for the weak, tasting at 8 weeks there was no alcohol warmth and it tasting really nice. I was planning on bottling the whole batch of this because I didn't think it was going to be drinkable until next winter buy quite the contrary, this stuff is great! I hopped it up more that initially planned in prep to store it and still have hop character but so far I like it the way it is.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.10 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.81 %
0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.80 lb Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
1.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (90 min) Hops 56.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.80 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.70 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F

Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!

Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!

The MO should go good with the WLP007, giving you a almost earthy taste in the end. Hope it turns out good for you. I remember it being amazing fresh, but lost it's luster with time, I like the hops though. I actually still have a couple bottles of this and had one about a month ago. It is essentially a barleywine now but too much sediment in the bottle because my process at the time. Good in it's own right though.

Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?

Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?

no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?

humann_brewing said:
no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?

I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.

I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.

most definitely, I would imagine for a 2.5-3g batch, you are looking at something like 5-6lbs but that is just a guess there are tons of online calculators or better yet, buy beersmith.

humann_brewing said:
most definitely, I would imagine for a 2.5-3g batch, you are looking at something like 5-6lbs but that is just a guess there are tons of online calculators or better yet, buy beersmith.

I use the calculator on hopville.com I'll definitely look in to beersmith though. My recipe came out like this

8lbs 8oz light DME
13oz crystal 75
13oz caramunich 60

1oz chinook 90min
1oz cascade 30min
.75oz chinook 30min
Flame out
1oz cascade
1oz chinook
Dry hop
1oz cascade
1oz chinook

Wlp007

That gives me an estimated abv of 8.1% and an ibu of 67. I dropped the ibu's a bit just based on my personal preference but kept everything else the same as your recipe. I'm pretty excited to make this, hopefully it'll turn out good. It's been almost a year since I've tasted Jolly Roger so I don't remember the flavor exactly. The one thing I do remember is how smooth it was and it had a good kick to it. One more question, I'm not sure the purpose of a 90 minute boil. What's the advantage to it in a beer like this? I'm guessing there must be a reason for it with a big beer like this. And is it necessary for an extract brew?

I use the calculator on hopville.com I'll definitely look in to beersmith though. My recipe came out like this

8lbs 8oz light DME
13oz crystal 75
13oz caramunich 60

1oz chinook 90min
1oz cascade 30min
.75oz chinook 30min
Flame out
1oz cascade
1oz chinook
Dry hop
1oz cascade
1oz chinook

Wlp007

That gives me an estimated abv of 8.1% and an ibu of 67. I dropped the ibu's a bit just based on my personal preference but kept everything else the same as your recipe. I'm pretty excited to make this, hopefully it'll turn out good. It's been almost a year since I've tasted Jolly Roger so I don't remember the flavor exactly. The one thing I do remember is how smooth it was and it had a good kick to it. One more question, I'm not sure the purpose of a 90 minute boil. What's the advantage to it in a beer like this? I'm guessing there must be a reason for it with a big beer like this. And is it necessary for an extract brew?

not a particular reason for the 90m boil, just did them at the time but you could do a 60m if you wanted too. Might toss in a few extra chinook pellets in your first addition though.

humann_brewing said:
not a particular reason for the 90m boil, just did them at the time but you could do a 60m if you wanted too. Might toss in a few extra chinook pellets in your first addition though.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get a chance to brew it. I've got a few in line ahead of it right now but I'll be knocking them out in the next few weeks

Drinking this now. It's great. It's still a couple days away from full carbonation but it's nice. I had forgotten to dry hop it until it was kegged and the dry-hopping hasn't yet fully taken effect yet either. Can't wait to taste test against the real thing. It's gonna be really good as it ages and gets carbonated. For what it's worth, my OG was 1.087 and my FG is 1.020.

image-565233802.jpg

Drinking this now. It's great. It's still a couple days away from full carbonation but it's nice. I had forgotten to dry hop it until it was kegged and the dry-hopping hasn't yet fully taken effect yet either. Can't wait to taste test against the real thing. It's gonna be really good as it ages and gets carbonated. For what it's worth, my OG was 1.087 and my FG is 1.020.

It looks great, may be a tad on the sweet side finishing at 1.020 but still nice. Congrads!

Funny enough, I have almost all of the ingredients for a batch of this... Might have to add it to my pipeline to drink in time for Christmas/New Years. :)

humann_brewing said:
It looks great, may be a tad on the sweet side finishing at 1.020 but still nice. Congrads!

It is a little sweet, but I like Winter beers to be sweet. It's not cloying at all, though. My OG was just too high.

Funny enough, I have almost all of the ingredients for a batch of this... Might have to add it to my pipeline to drink in time for Christmas/New Years. :)

wow, I saw this post earlier but didn't realize it was the infamous bulldogbrewer. Honestly this is a exellent fresh beer as it comes off as a IIPA, semi balanced and ages like a barleywine.

Basically the batch I did, I had planed on aging all of it but as soon as I tasted it fresh, well only only bottled 2 of the 5 gallons. That was a few years back now and I have a bottle or 2 left. They are a little oxidized but if you can get past that along with all the gunk in the bottle as my process was not that good back then and there is a lot of sediment in the bottle, it is a great beer. I will finish the few bottles I have left this winter.

That's me, infamous :)

I'm thinking I will likely brew this one up sometime after next weekend. Should be a good IIPA for christmas and maybe age out as a barleywine. Nice.

I took this to a local homebrew fest and others agreed it was a clone of Jolly Roger.

I finally got to compare to the real Jolly Roger before killing the keg. It's very close, mine was more hoppy. Even after a month since dry-hopping it, it's got a nice strong aroma. Next time I'll cut all (boil and dry) the hops a little and I bet its a perfect clone. I'll make this every year!

I took this to a local homebrew fest and others agreed it was a clone of Jolly Roger.

I finally got to compare to the real Jolly Roger before killing the keg. It's very close, mine was more hoppy. Even after a month since dry-hopping it, it's got a nice strong aroma. Next time I'll cut all (boil and dry) the hops a little and I bet its a perfect clone. I'll make this every year!

That is great to hear, thanks for sharing. I never had a chance to put this side by side but in my mind, I knew it would be more hoppy but that was intended for me at least. I wonder if they even dry hop it, probably not 7 years ago but I bet they do now.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, glad you like it. I spent quite a bit of time researching this one and the brewery was not very nice about sharing any info, I was just guessing based on taste descriptions and the style (19A).

Back