Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > Partial - Whiskey Barrel Bourbon Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is the hops very pronounced? 70+ is WAY higher than I ever go, but I will give it a try if it is balanced. This was going to be next on my list. Thanks!

Bottled:Orange Hefeweizen, Special Bitter, Blue Balls Belgian Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad1Guy View Post
Is the hops very pronounced? 70+ is WAY higher than I ever go, but I will give it a try if it is balanced. This was going to be next on my list. Thanks!
I think it's pretty well balanced as far as hops and malts go. Most comments have been that it's heavy on bourbon and oak. I really like this level of bourbon, but next time I may consider cutting back slightly on the oak. But maybe not too.

But don't be turned off by the hops, the 10%+ alcohol and bourbon is enough to keep them in check. Plus, Warrior is a rather clean bittering hop.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
mdoyle1268
Recipes 

Using Warrior is there any grapefruit coming through? I had the Warrior in a pale ale and was not a fan because grapefruit isn't my thing. I am guessing with a 60 minute boil after the addition not much comes through.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoyle1268 View Post
Using Warrior is there any grapefruit coming through? I had the Warrior in a pale ale and was not a fan because grapefruit isn't my thing. I am guessing with a 60 minute boil after the addition not much comes through.
Warrior is a very clean bittering hop, which is why I used it. I don't taste any citrus in this beer at all.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does this beer rival Dragon's Milk or Backwoods Bastard? Those tend to be on the sweeter side with a distinct Bourbon flavor that I hope to find.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
Does this beer rival Dragon's Milk or Backwoods Bastard? Those tend to be on the sweeter side with a distinct Bourbon flavor that I hope to find.
I've never gotten around to trying Dragon's Milk, but I can say it is not really quite like Backwoods Bastard. The bourbon character may be similar, but the heavy amount of oak and roasted malts this beer has gives it a much woodier/roasted and somewhat dryer taste than the sweet Scotch ale that Backwoods Bastard is based on.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
mdoyle1268
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
I don't think that it would be a rival to Dragon's Milk but it is definitely good. A lot will depend on what bourbon/whiskey you decide to add. I actually used Ballantines Scotch and think mine turned out awesome. I did not soak the chips like most people do and just boiled them as directed then added 6 ounces to the secondary.

Last year I bought 5-6 bottles of Shipwreck Porter and this year if it finally comes back out I will probably just get 1 to compare. Been a while since I have had one but think what I produced is just as good. 2 cases for the price of a 6 pack has me feeling good about it even if it turns out Shipwreck is better than I remember.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
piercebrew
Recipes 

brewed this last weekend. Excited to see how it turns out... wish I had an actual bourbon barrel

Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
FireDawg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebrew
brewed this last weekend. Excited to see how it turns out... wish I had an actual bourbon barrel
This was my first homebrew and I have to say, added 1.5 oz of Jim Bean before bottling and 2 months later it was a great stout. You won't be disappointed.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
NMSU4ever
Recipes 

Likes Given: 26

That looks good!

Quick Reply