Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - StoneHedge, Oak Aged IPA (5-Gallon AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #21
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I've never had an issue with sanitation when it comes to brewer quality using wood chips. However, I do like to let them soak in just enough bourbon to cover them for a day or two. Then I toss the whole mess into the fermenter.
I brewed this recipe last weekend. Can't wait till it's ready. So, I need to soak the oak chips in bourbon?? If so, you might consider putting that detail in the recipe or else oak-newbies like me will not know to do it!

Thanks again for the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #22
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrew

I brewed this recipe last weekend. Can't wait till it's ready. So, I need to soak the oak chips in bourbon?? If so, you might consider putting that detail in the recipe or else oak-newbies like me will not know to do it!

Thanks again for the recipe.
If you don't want to add a liquor to the oak flavor, you can boil the chips in water in the microwave. Use a very small amount of water (just enough to cover the chips). You only need the microwave running on high for like 30 seconds.

Then let it cool for a minute and run the microwave once more.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
If you don't want to add a liquor to the oak flavor, you can boil the chips in water in the microwave. Use a very small amount of water (just enough to cover the chips). You only need the microwave running on high for like 30 seconds.

Then let it cool for a minute and run the microwave once more.
In the end, I decided not to soak them in bourbon. I was scared about the bourbon-liquor flavor coming through in the beer. So, I steamed the chips on the stove. The beer has been on the oak for almost 2 months now. I'll probably keg it this weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
millsware
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I've been thinking of experimenting with FWH and oaking, so this recipe looks perfect. One question, I put the recipe into BrewTarget and it is only calculating 30.8 for the IBU's, what am I missing?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
GoNova

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsware View Post
I've been thinking of experimenting with FWH and oaking, so this recipe looks perfect. One question, I put the recipe into BrewTarget and it is only calculating 30.8 for the IBU's, what am I missing?
Mine is in the keg and carbing. The oak flavor is way stronger than I expected. Completely overpowers any hop flavor/bitterness. I have been mixing it with a very hoppy IPA I have on tap and that takes it about to where I had hoped it would turn out. I let mine sit on oak about two months. I guess that's too long for my taste. But I guess it's all about what you're looking for.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
tbeggs15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is a great idea I am going to give it a shot next weekend!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Brewing it up!!

Favorite Beer Dagger Falls Sockeye Brewery in Boise, ID

Tyson Beggs

Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
ckwatkins
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe back in December and have been enjoying it for the last two months. If you are on the fence about making it you better get off, this beer is awesome. I followed the recipe exactly as it was written, but switched to 2-Row for Marris Otter. Also, I soaked my once of oak in a couple shots of gin for a few weeks before dumping it in the secondary. I aged it on that ounce of medium oak cubes for 2 months and looking back I wish I would have done it a little bit longer. All in all, a great beer.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
labarr12
Recipes 

OK, so I'm a newbie at partial mash (I've only done extract kits in the past) and I am a little unclear on the timing.

I think I understand how to actually do the brewing (I have awesome instructions from a friend of mine!), but once the brewing is done...

The original recipe says dry hop 10 days and oak 28 days. So do I let my batch go through primary fermentation, transfer to another vessel to dry hop 10 days, then transfer to another to oak? So the secondary fermentation is actually done in 2 steps? And I don't have a kegging system, so how long should I bottle condition? The usual 4-6 weeks?

Thanks for all the info! I'm really looking forward to trying out this recipe!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #29
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarr12 View Post
OK, so I'm a newbie at partial mash (I've only done extract kits in the past) and I am a little unclear on the timing.

I think I understand how to actually do the brewing (I have awesome instructions from a friend of mine!), but once the brewing is done...

The original recipe says dry hop 10 days and oak 28 days. So do I let my batch go through primary fermentation, transfer to another vessel to dry hop 10 days, then transfer to another to oak? So the secondary fermentation is actually done in 2 steps? And I don't have a kegging system, so how long should I bottle condition? The usual 4-6 weeks?

Thanks for all the info! I'm really looking forward to trying out this recipe!
I think you got it all correct. Dry hopping should be its own process, as should the oak aging. Bottle condition this beer the way you normally would.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
SaevaVeritas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks incredible thanks for the OP its going to be a perfect fall brew...perhaps enjoyed around a camp fire!

Quick Reply