Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - Loon Lake Smoked Porter (Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #71
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdropper
update....just cracked open one of those bottles and...good news and bad news.
good news....the flavor is great, came around nicely. even have a solid hint of smoke.
bad news....it's flat. it's been priming for two weeks in the garage, temp around 60-65. maybe that's not warm enough? i seem to be having issues with either over carbonation or under carbonation lately. frustrating.
I'd try somewhere warmer. I usually use Coopers carb tabs. Haven't had an issues with them, better to wait three weeks in my experience. I did batch carb with priming sugar on my Coconut Porter and it's overcarbed. Not awful just too much. I used 5oz table sugar, probably should've used 4.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #72
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

so i just checked my notes and i guess it's only been carbing for 10 days...so maybe not long enough? hope that's the case cause that flat beer was pretty tasty.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #73
Chavi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauritz View Post
I brewed a 5 gal partial mash of this with the recipe below.

5 lbs Rauch malt
1 lbs caramunich
1 lbs Crystal 40
1 lbs American Chocolate
4 lbs Liquid Light Extract
0.5 oz Northern Brewer pellets (60 min)
0.75 oz Willamette pellets (60 min)
WLP007 Dry English Ale

OG 1.052
FG 1.018

I fermented for 3 weeks; primed it with a pre-measured packet of priming sugar from a Williams Brewing kit; conditioned for 3 weeks.

The first taste was awesome. Now the beer is over carbonated and foams like crazy when opened and poured (no explosions yet). It still tastes good but has a very weak mouthfeel.

I'm not sure if it wasn't finished fermenting when I bottled it or if a slight heat spell is the cause of the over carbonation. I've moved this summer and haven't got a good read on temperature ranges of the new apartment.

I will definitely brew this again come late fall early winter. I'm thinking of upping the smoked malt as I would like a smokier taste but I'm not sure if the super-fizz is burning off some of the smoke or not. I may also use a different yeast as I chose to dry ale to build up a cake for an imperial porter.
I am very interested in making this smoked porter. Is this a good partial grain recipe? Can anyone comment on it?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #74
Nine_Notches
Recipes 

I made this recipe with 50% smoked malt Green Bullet and Goldings as my hops. OG 1.051 FG 1.017 mashing at 158.

There was no noticeable smoke taste or smell during the mash. After reading some of the other experiences within this thread, I was interested in how the flavour would develop throughout fermentation hence I tasted this regularly throughout fermentation. It took about two days before the smoke taste really started to come through and after a week it was tasting incredible straight out of the carboy with an obvious but not overpowering smoke flavour - just what I was after. I fermented for two weeks, however over the last two days the smoke flavour disappeared - at bottling it was barely noticeable.

After two weeks in the bottle the smoke flavour was still non existant. At three weeks I can just pick it out, but it is only barely detectable and if I didn't know it was there I would probably miss it. The basic porter flavour is great and so I will be happy if it remains as is. However I was aiming for an obvious smoke flavour so am hoping that it will punch through with a few more weeks in the bottle.

I am guessing that the smoke flavour varies from grain to grain and also age, I got mine from the link below (from NZ). I guess I will know for next time whether to use more or not. Will post back if the smoke flavour gets any stronger. I should also note that I primed for 2.1 volumes and this batch is still under carbonated. Though it was my first time batch priming and I am a little scared I didn't mix the priming solution enough. With more drinking I guess I will find out !!

http://www.thebrewhouse.co.nz/webapp.../215726/613548

Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #75
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Are the hops important here? I plan on bittering with whatever since there's no flavor or aroma additions, probably Chinook or Nugget. Considering two pounds of Rye in here also, DuClaw's Imperial Chocolate Rye Porter is awesome.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #76
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Are the hops important here? I plan on bittering with whatever since there's no flavor or aroma additions, probably Chinook or Nugget. Considering two pounds of Rye in here also, DuClaw's Imperial Chocolate Rye Porter is awesome.
No. This is not a hop-centric beer. Use whatever you have to achieve the proper IBU's. That said, I'd shy away from the "stronger" flavor hops (like nugget). Even at 60 minutes, that strong aroma profile might come through and interfere with the subtle smoke tones.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #77
KidDynamite
Recipes 

I brewed this a few weeks ago and just cracked my first bottle: it tastes friggin' AWESOME right now.

my question for the field is: will the smoke taste intensify over the next few weeks? or will it fade?

I bottled and bottle conditioned (with maple syrup, cause that's how I roll)

Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #78
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite
I brewed this a few weeks ago and just cracked my first bottle: it tastes friggin' AWESOME right now.

my question for the field is: will the smoke taste intensify over the next few weeks? or will it fade?

I bottled and bottle conditioned (with maple syrup, cause that's how I roll)
What recipe did you use, the OP? I plan on using 5lbs of Briess smoked when I make this.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #79
KidDynamite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
What recipe did you use, the OP? I plan on using 5lbs of Briess smoked when I make this.
yeah - I scaled down the OP's recipe to my 2.5 gallon size.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #80
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Question for those who kegged this. Did you notice any lingering smokiness in the lines or keg after moving on to your next beer? I plan on trying a smoked beer in the next few months, but wasn't sure if I should keg or bottle...

Quick Reply