Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - Loon Lake Smoked Porter (Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #101
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
BM, I was wondering if you would comment on my proposal above. I see earlier in the thread some people just added a couple extra lb's of smoked malt. I was considering doing this, or, as above, subbing out a portion of the munich for melanoidin and then covering the balance with more smoked..

Basically, I want to make exactly what you describe in the intro with a slightly higher amount of smoke profile, say at the 65% level that the beer you are tipping your hat to used. I too, like a rich porter, but not necessarily an "ABV strong" one, nor a cloyingly sweet one... This is what I find attractive with smoke. It adds a layer of nuance that is both strong, and weightless..

I'm probably just over analyzing this.
I think your adjustments are sound. I love Munich malt and this beer will be just fine with a bit more smoke profile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #102
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I think your adjustments are sound. I love Munich malt and this beer will be just fine with a bit more smoke profile.
I decided to play it smart and just add 2lb of smoked malt to the original recipe for a total of 7, everything else the same. (never used melanoidin malt before, and don't want to mess up) Thanks for your reply!!

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #103
woknblues
Recipes 

A smooth brew day. I had to sub out Willamette with Mt Hood LHBS was out. I figured a bit of Amurrikan noble hop and spiceyness might be good with the smoke. I have forgotton how much I do love the spicey variety of hops like hallertauer, Mt hood, etc... I mashed at around 155 or so, and didn't worry too much about dialing in my temps. (I misplaced the moving blankets that I normally use to keep the pot insulted, so I had to hit the burner a couple of times) so I know I drifted into the 148 range a couple of times. Ghetto decoction mashing?

I ended up with a 1.057 and pitched some washed sa-04 cake from an IPA I made. The sample was interesting. Nice roasty and smokey up front. I hope I kept some sweetness and that this thing doesn't dry down too much.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #104
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
A smooth brew day. I had to sub out Willamette with Mt Hood LHBS was out. I figured a bit of Amurrikan noble hop and spiceyness might be good with the smoke. I have forgotton how much I do love the spicey variety of hops like hallertauer, Mt hood, etc... I mashed at around 155 or so, and didn't worry too much about dialing in my temps. (I misplaced the moving blankets that I normally use to keep the pot insulted, so I had to hit the burner a couple of times) so I know I drifted into the 148 range a couple of times. Ghetto decoction mashing?

I ended up with a 1.057 and pitched some washed sa-04 cake from an IPA I made. The sample was interesting. Nice roasty and smokey up front. I hope I kept some sweetness and that this thing doesn't dry down too much.
nice, I look forward to hearing your progress

Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #105
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
nice, I look forward to hearing your progress
I finally made some space in my kegerator for this. Going to transfer to the keg tonight!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #106
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

was the SRM issue ever worked out with the Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt? It was about a 3 and the recipe calls for a 9.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 12-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #107
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have my sparge resting for this as I type. I've never made or had a smoked porter but the grain smelled excellent. I followed the recipe almost exactly, adding in one pound of 2-row for a little more strength. I'd have added rauch but only had five pounds. Next time I'll up the grain bill properly, but I still had 40% smoked malt. Looking forward to trying this beer! Kyle

Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #108
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 97 Posts

When I brewed this last year, I used 7 lbs smoked and 2 lbs Munich. It STILL (a year later) is smoky!! I love this recipe!!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #109
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I kegged this today. It finished at 1.024 and started at 1.060 (missed my normal 83% efficiency due to grain mill adjustment), for a total of 4.7%. The entire brew had no smoke until the final gravity sample. As soon as it went into the glass I was struck with a pleasant smoke scent. This one's a keeper! Thanks for the recipe. Kyle

Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #110
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW, I used the original recipe posted by BM and I'm getting no smoke flavor at all after about 3 weeks in the secondary and being on CO2 for about a week.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Quick Reply