Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > Extract - Barleywine with whiskey-soaked oak chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Extract - Barleywine with whiskey-soaked oak chips

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Weast
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Coopers
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1 hour
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8-10

deleted *****

Last edited by Pete08; 04-30-2009 at 03:03 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
Hello, new guy here. My F.G. and primery fermentation are only guesses right now, get that out of the way. At the risk of being flamed, here goes; my second batch ever is a barleywine that I mixed and matched from different recipes. After being put in the fermenter Sunday night at 9:00, it has been very busy since about 5:00 Monday morning.

My question is, ever since I saw a particular recipe for barleywine that called for whiskey-soaked chips, I wanted to do this for mine. I soaked some chips in water, then blackened (think charcoal) them on the grill the other night as I was cooking ribs. Into some whiskey they went, awaiting their call to duty. The recipe calls for the chips to be placed in the secondary fermenter. I plan to follow this. Does this sound okay to you experienced fellows to place my whiskey-soaked oak charcoal chips in the secondary, or did I blacken the chips to much? I'd rather not have a hopefully good barleywine ruined by this experiment.
Hmmm...blackened? Sounds risky, if you ask me. I've put toasted oak chips in bourbon before, then added that to a winter ale, but I'd be a little scared of the "charcoal" flavor in a barleywine.

How much DID you blacken them?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I just went with plain old oak chips. I put them in bourbon at the same time that I pitched the yeast and will let it soak for the 3 week primary then put it in the BW when I rack to secondary.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

delete *****

Last edited by Pete08; 04-30-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

delete*****

Last edited by Pete08; 04-30-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
northernjerry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anybody ever skipped the chips and just added a few onces of whiskey at bottling/kegging time? I've seen a bourbon Porter recipe that did this.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
madtowndmb1
Recipes 

Hey guys, I'm new here, but this is what I did.

I made a barleywine and I'm aging it on old scraps from whiskey barrels from Kentucky. So here was my process on this, I cut the slates from the barrel into 10" pieces. Then I seperated the back from the inside, I don't want the dirt, of course. Then I soaked the pieces in Bourbon and water(to reactivate the flavors) for about 2 days. Then I boiled them to sanitize, and boil off the alcohol. All you want is the flavor, not the hotness I think it would add if you left it like it is. It's still aging now, It'll be on those for about 3 months. I can smell the bourbon flavors coming through the bubbles in the airlock!

As far as oak chips, I've used the same method for wine-making. They soak them for a day, then put them in the oven on broil until the edges are black. Then boil them, then into the secondary. They were in there for 2 weeks and it was great. I used an ounce for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
dropitlikesitshot
Recipes 

@madtowndmd1: how did your beer turn out with the soaked/boiled oak chips? Can you tell me how you boiled the chips (i.e. poured soaked chips into pot and boiled for 20 mins)

Thanks

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

man, necro-threads are the name of the game today

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
perrypainter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First of all strat thru marshall, barley wines are often aged for at least a year. Therefore in this case it makes sense to inquire about older threads. Second, at least you can't complain about people not using the search bar.

Quick Reply