Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/)
-   -   All-Grain - Fireside Porter (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/all-grain-fireside-porter-385781/)

JLem 01-30-2013 02:34 AM

All-Grain - Fireside Porter
 
** note this if for an unconventional 3.5 gallon batch size **

OG: ~1.060
FG: ~1.014
IBUs: ~50

Grist
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt - 57.62 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Smoked Malt (Rauchmalt - Weyermann) - 19.21 %
1 lbs Munich I - 12.80 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat - 6.40 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt - 3.20 %
1.0 oz Black Malt - 0.77 %

Hops
5 g Columbus [14.50 %] (60 min)
14 g Columbus [14.50 %] (30 min)
14 g Williamette [4.80 %] (15 min)
14 g Williamette [4.80 %] (1 min)

Misc
0.5 oz Oak Cubes, Hungarian, Med Toast (in primary)

Yeast
SafAle (Fermentis US-05)

Mash Schedule
Single Infusion, 152F, Batch Sparge

TrustyOlJohnson 07-30-2013 07:42 PM

How has this turned out?

JLem 07-31-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpcook1
How has this turned out?

I loved this beer. Honestly I could find nothing wrong with it and wouldn't change a thing. At this risk of sounding immodest, it also got rave reviews from a smoked porter aficionado at my LHBS - he made a direct comparison to Alaskan Brewing Company's Smoked Porter.

I should make this again soon :)

TrustyOlJohnson 08-01-2013 12:43 AM

I am finishing up a batch of Loon Lake Smoke porter which is very heavy on smoke and I was looking for a recipe that is smoky, but not as much, and I want to add bacon too it. This may be the perfect recipe for that

Malty_Dog 10-17-2013 08:03 PM

Thanks for the recipe OP, I also like the batch size. I'll put this on the list, hopefully sooner rather than later!

JLem 10-18-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpcook1 (Post 5390890)
I am finishing up a batch of Loon Lake Smoke porter which is very heavy on smoke and I was looking for a recipe that is smoky, but not as much, and I want to add bacon too it. This may be the perfect recipe for that

Did you try it? I'd love to know how using bacon turned out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malty_Dog (Post 5592892)
Thanks for the recipe OP, I also like the batch size. I'll put this on the list, hopefully sooner rather than later!

I think I've decided to brew this up next - will make for a wonderful winter beer. Let me know how yours turns out if/when you decide to brew it.

Malty_Dog 10-18-2013 07:34 PM

Question on the oak cubes. Having never used them, should I soak them for a few days in vodka? I see me brewing this no later than mid-November. I totally agree about this as a winter beer. Kicking back by an outdoor fire with a brew like this - sounds pretty heavenly.

JLem 10-19-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malty_Dog (Post 5595701)
Question on the oak cubes. Having never used them, should I soak them for a few days in vodka? I see me brewing this no later than mid-November. I totally agree about this as a winter beer. Kicking back by an outdoor fire with a brew like this - sounds pretty heavenly.

Here's what I did with the oak - put the cubes in a glass jar, just cover with water, put in the microwave and give it a whirl for a minute...then another minute....(just make sure that it has boiled during that time - if not, go another minute or two)...carefully take the jar out (it will be hot) and decant the now brown water and dump the cubes into the fermenter.

This is a technique I learned from one of the Brewing Network podcasts with oak (and wine yeast) expert Shea Comfort. That's also where I learned about using the oak in the primary - the idea is that it doesn't lend too much oak flavor, but the tannins add to the mouthfeel.

Malty_Dog 11-05-2013 01:26 PM

Order placed through Morebeer, will be brewing in latter part of November :mug:

JLem 11-06-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malty_Dog (Post 5640317)
Order placed through Morebeer, will be brewing in latter part of November :mug:

Excellent! Let me know how it turns out. I think this is going to be my next brew as well. :mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.