Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - 100% Peated Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #61
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed this quite some time ago, maybe a year or so if memory serves. We had the last pint this weekend and I have to say that this gets better with age although die hards may prefer the younger more robust version.

With age the great beer under the peat began to peek out more. Clean malt, a touch of hop (my addition), a good mouthfeel, all topped with a gentle peatiness. I'm thinking that I should make this again and simply store it away.

Thanks for the recipe and concept.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
I brewed this quite some time ago, maybe a year or so if memory serves. We had the last pint this weekend and I have to say that this gets better with age although die hards may prefer the younger more robust version.

With age the great beer under the peat began to peek out more. Clean malt, a touch of hop (my addition), a good mouthfeel, all topped with a gentle peatiness. I'm thinking that I should make this again and simply store it away.

Thanks for the recipe and concept.
I was thinking I might batch age this one. How does the hop character play? I'm a hop head, but I understand that they might compete with the peat. I was considering doing a single FWH addition.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #63
TAK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
I toasted the 2 lbs in a wok on my stove top. Just until the color changed to just about what your wort color is.
Can you give some more details on this process? How hot.. medium/low? About how long did it take to get this color? I assume you stay on top of it, stirring continuously.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #64
TAK
Recipes 

I just cracked open a bottle of my small batch 100% peat smoked malt ale. Although the peat smoke is in your face at the nose, the palate is surprisingly and pleasantly clean. I made this batch because I hade 5 lbs of peat smoked malt and decided not to use it in the brew I purchased it for, but after tasting this, I'd make it again at full scale.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #65
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I brewed this in april of 2013 and just cracked another bottle open. Its fun to drag this beer out for beer lovers that have tried everything. Because there is nothing like this beer anywhere that I know of. At a year and a half it has mellowed a bit, the beautiful smokey goodness and sweetness is still there in full force. The smoke monster has been tamed a bit, but still has claws and fangs. I think the true potential of this beer will be revealed after 3-5 years.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #66
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Haha. I took a bottle of a high percentage peat smoked beer to work last year and put it on the tasting panel. It was an 11%abv barley wine. It was rather oxidized at this point (three years) and the peat gave someone the impression of McD's bbq sauce, I think, was one comment. Makes me want to do it again but all peat malt like this recipe.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #67
Chops1867
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Brew board I was on years ago had a member "Mr. Peat." Everything he brewed had peat. I've used a few ounces in a Scottish ale before, can't imagine 100% of the grain bill.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #68
BrewinBromanite
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post

Aside from all that, I'm near giddy to get this into my keg - Laphroiag's ale cousin

I saw this thread and started reading the posts in backwards order, from most recent back to the beginning. I love scotch, including really heavy peated scotches, and was just about to ask how this compares to something like, say, Laphroiag, on the peaty scale?

Low and behold, the first post. Does this actually compare (as far as peaty aroma / peaty flavor goes) to something like Laphroiag? I've only ever used a few ounces at most of peated malt in any of my HB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #69
TAK
Recipes 

Holly dead thread, Batman.

FWIW, I ended up brewing this sometime in '13. Completely relate to some of the most recent posts.
After at least a year of age, the distinct smokey character is still there. It's fun to pull out a bottle every now and then. This thing naturally ages.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #70
BrewinBromanite
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So does the aroma compare to opening up a bottle of Laphroiag or similarly peaty scotch?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS