Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - 100% Peated Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #51
Alchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fastenove, I didn't use rice hulls on this, being 100% barley. Same thought you had. I think you mash and brew will be fine and by no means ruined. Maybe a little more attenuated but that would be about it. And actually, I'd have to check my notes, but I recall my mash was much longer than the standard 1 hour - more like 2, so you only went over a little. You mashed out at 170-175 F right? And did the protein rests, correct? Overall, I think you will be just fine.

Kiwirevo, Way to go. Whatever works. Quick, hopefully not insulting, question. You mashed crushed grains, not whole grains, right? Given that OG, I would say so. Oh, and yes, it is makes a beautiful dense cap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #52
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yup, crushed, my local has all the grains available and crushes on request. I'm also making a part extract part peated malt whisky this week that's why I used the whisky yeast.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
Alchemist42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have my own update on this year's batch(es). I brewed two after my first one, believe it or not, it was not peaty enough for me. I used Simpson peated malt. After determining something was up (too mild) I found via research that Simpson's is a low phenol (5-10 ppm phenol) peated malt. Why it was good in previous batches, I just don't know. Regardless, I then hunted down Baird's Heavy peated distilling malt at 35-45 ppm phenol.

The resulting brew was much more what I wanted.

Now here is something interesting I found. After kegging, the the subsequent FG measurement tasting, I gave a token rinse to my hydrometer cylinder and took a sip....the that strong, ashy flavor that so many people note was there, in spades. I hold that something about having SO MUCH peated malt in the brew changes it's character in such a way that it's actually more approachable and balanced.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #54
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
I have my own update on this year's batch(es). I brewed two after my first one, believe it or not, it was not peaty enough for me. I used Simpson peated malt. After determining something was up (too mild) I found via research that Simpson's is a low phenol (5-10 ppm phenol) peated malt. Why it was good in previous batches, I just don't know. Regardless, I then hunted down Baird's Heavy peated distilling malt at 35-45 ppm phenol.

The resulting brew was much more what I wanted.

Now here is something interesting I found. After kegging, the the subsequent FG measurement tasting, I gave a token rinse to my hydrometer cylinder and took a sip....the that strong, ashy flavor that so many people note was there, in spades. I hold that something about having SO MUCH peated malt in the brew changes it's character in such a way that it's actually more approachable and balanced.
I'd agree with that, very much an acquired taste anyway but I brewed a partly smoked beer that was much more difficult to drink vs my 100% medium peated beer

Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I was waiting to hear back on some of your updates. I feel I need to try this. I was always a little sceptical about the virulent reaction to smoked and peated malts considering they do provide it in 55lb sacks! I always suspected that simple taste bias was at play, and that most simply had not tasted it, and made assumptions. (maybe I am too for that matter, in assuming it will be good, haha). Also, I can understand your take on that with plenty of peated malt, you can then appreciate the nuance of it, rather than a smaller amount that will likely clash and overpower an unsuspecting brew.

Since I have not really ever had a smoked beer (I am being told that Stone's smoked porter doesn't count) I will make a 1 gallon batch of this. I wish I had scottish ale yeast on hand...

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #56
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

We are diving in to the peaty depths. Just ordered the baird's and going to follow the original receipe. Will repost with our findings for future generations.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #57
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Brewed our peated ale last night. Used bairds and followed original instructions for toasting and mash. The house was full of smokey goodness, even the creature i mean swmbo liked it. She doesn't like anything. My brewing assistant the professor said it was a long complicated brew. I played pingpong and watched hockey so i thought it was really easy. I did check in with him saying things like "hows it going professor" and "attaboy professor". Will post in a month or so with results.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #58
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm just curious on the multi-step mash. Aren't those usually used for under-modified malts? I believe that the smoked malt should be fully modified, so would a single infusion mash work? Maybe 148-150 for 90 min.

I only ask because I was recently thinking about brewing something just like this, but wouldn't have planned on doing anything over and above my single infusion with a batch sparge.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #59
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
I'm just curious on the multi-step mash. Aren't those usually used for under-modified malts? I believe that the smoked malt should be fully modified, so would a single infusion mash work? Maybe 148-150 for 90 min.

I only ask because I was recently thinking about brewing something just like this, but wouldn't have planned on doing anything over and above my single infusion with a batch sparge.
I did single, works well, got one of my highest efficiencies that I ever got

Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #60
Alchemist42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I originally did this I could not find any data on peated malt, as to whether it was unmodified or not, so I figured better safe than sorry. And I really like decoction mashes.

And something about this peated malt, whether it the malt or the mash technique, I'm with Kiwirevo, this stuff gives me the highest efficiencies I've ever seen.

Quick Reply