Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Smoke & Wood-Aged Beer > All-Grain - 100% Peated Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
Alchemist42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

{head scratching}

Honestly, I would consider/suggest actually trying it as it first and then fixing it if you find a problem or issue. i.e. don't fix it if it isn't broken. You are proposing all these changes to something you have not even tasted. It's not that that I am attached to people not tweaking the recipe, but as a designer, I guess I have issues with someone making changes to something they've not tried, making assumptions as to how it is, and trying to 'improve' it based on guesses instead of 1st hand knowledge.

My first test batch went from 1.074 to 1.012. That is a lot of attenuation. Sure, it's not perfectly dry, but quite a bit. In some ways, I think your 50/50 is going to make it sweeter than if you just went 100%. So your response is to add sugar to dry out a recipe that was dry, but sweetened because you went 50/50.

Does that make sense or am I just coming across over protective of my recipe?

Have fun and good luck either way.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #42
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
Wow, I missed these last posts. Great to hear someone tried brewing this. Way to go Gordon. Isn't it rather amazing just how 'not peaty' it is given what the base it? I toasted the 2 lbs in a wok on my stove top. Just until the color changed to just about what your wort color is.

Yeah, it is a lengthy mash. Did you do a starch test or just follow my lead? Mine was starch test based.

So, it's been a few weeks now. How is it coming? Bottled or kegged yet?
It is kegged. When it had conditioned for just a few days I tried it and it was very peaty, but I liked it. Left it for a week and it was less peaty, more background malt was coming out and I could tell that the backbone of it was a very nice basic beer.
I have since pulled it out of the fridge and plan to let it sit for a couple of months and then have at it again.
This is an interesting beer and I do enjoy it. Would I brew it again? Not right away but maybe for a specialty event in the future

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
fastenova
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenova View Post
Alchemist - where in Oregon are you? I'm just getting into brewing beer - been doing mead for several years now - and am starting off with a Sierra Nevada Porter clone.

This sounds AMAZING. I am a scotch lover and think that once I graduate to all-grain brewing, I would love to try your recipe. I have several scotch enthusiast/beer drinking friends that would probably love a peaty ale.

Sounds amazing and thanks for the wonderful idea and for sharing!

Aaron
So, I've done several all-grain batches now, and I am planning on brewing this on my birthday in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to trying a decoction mash, and this is one I'll plan on bottling to enjoy over the next year.

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #44
fastenova
Recipes 

Brewing this tomorrow. I got a yeast starter on the stirplate vortexing away (that's a word, right?) and will toast the grain tomorrow morning. I was told to keep the grain moist during the process, but I'll look around on HBT for info on toasting grains in the oven. I'm REALLY looking forward to making this, I made a smoked IPA last Sat as well and it smelled great, can't imagine how awesome this one is going to smell in the kettle!

Cheers
Aaron

Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
Alchemist42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aaron, I can't speak of others keeping toasted grains wet, but I know I did not. YMMV and I suspect either would be fine. And actually, although I have no 1st hand knowledge of it, it does not make sense to me to keep something wet you are toasting. Can someone explain that? Toasting would get the grains to 300 F or so, but keeping them wet would only allow 212 F. Sort of like I can't see how wet bread could ever turn into 'toast'. It would just be hot wet bread.

Great luck with this. Would love to hear how it comes out and how you like it.

I'm starting to get a hankering to brew it again. Maybe for Oct 31.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #46
fastenova
Recipes 

Alright! Toasting these up dry in my propane BBQ in two glass Pyrex dishes now so I don't stink up the house. My back deck smells fantastic! I am looking forward to this. I'm following your recipe as close as I can, with the biggest variable being the level of toast on these guys. Did a 2L starter of WL028 and it's in the fridge now.

As far as keeping them wet, the guy at my LHBS was saying he's seen grains ignite before, and that is why he said that. He didn't imply that I should soak them, rather occasionally mist them with a spray bottle. I don't think it's necessary, to be honest, so we'll see how it comes out with no water, about 300 degrees.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #47
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Heating them thoroughly wet would make caramel peated malt.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #48
fastenova
Recipes 

Holy crap, finally got the boil going, just added my 60 min hops. Had a mini emergency at the house so the sacc rest was 2.5 hours instead of 1, and I had a seriously stuck spare. Took an extra hour to sort that out and I didn't get to vorlauf at all. I think the stuck spare was related to the super long mash...?

But, looks good, smells good, can't wait to finish this brew session and grab a cold one!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #49
fastenova
Recipes 

So any thoughts on whether this is going to be 'ruined' (not as tasty as it ought to be) at all by the super long mash? i.e. long mash = more fermentable wort = drier finished product. Alchemist, did you use rice hulls when you mashed this? I didn't think it would be an issue since there is no wheat or other 'sticky' fermentables like oats or something... But that may be different since the mash was like...3.5 hours in total, plus the time it took to get around the stuck sparge (30-45 min).

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #50
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I kicked off a tiny 3Litre batch with 1 kilo of medium peated distilling malt with safspirit malt whisky yeast 2 days ago. I can only handle these tiny batches of all grain at the moment but let's me try cool things like this. I put the malt in a grain bag in 5 litres 65ish degree celcius for 90 mins, then removed the grain and washed it with 1 litre of boiled water added about 10-15g of goldings and boiled for 90 mins. OG was 1.083 and it's bubbling away nicely. The foam cap is very fine compared to anything else I've brewed.
Also I only have a 3Litre fermenter so I ended up with too much to fit in there so put 500ml into another bottle and I'm going to dry hop it just for the sake of the test.

Quick Reply