Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #971
tuckferrorists
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks160
Just whipped this up last week and I have a couple questions. It only bubbled for like 12 hours, is this normal or should I repitch? Do I add the spices before kegging or add them now? Thanks
Take a gravity reading. That's the only way to tell. Mine bubbled for at least 4 days, but who knows, you're fermentation may be finished. Also I added the spices when I transferred it to a secondary. If you don't plan on a secondary, just add while kegging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #972
franks160
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. What did you get for a final gravity?

Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #973
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks160
Thanks. What did you get for a final gravity?
Somewhere around 1.015 ish. I dont remember exactly.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #974
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks, moscoeb. One last question: in regards to when to add the spice tea, could you get away with adding it a few days before bottling to get the strongest possible flavor, or does it need the full secondary 7-10 days to marry with the beer/settle?

Primary: Big Bear IPA, Petits Jour de Chien Saison
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale, Little Bear Kolsch
Planning: RyePA, Nutella Stout

Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #975
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV
Thanks, moscoeb. One last question: in regards to when to add the spice tea, could you get away with adding it a few days before bottling to get the strongest possible flavor, or does it need the full secondary 7-10 days to marry with the beer/settle?
Yuri stated the later you add the spices the stronger they are. I guess you could add them a few days prior to bottling. Just make sure you mix it well. I'm going to bottle in a few days and it's been a week for me.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #976
WYOBrews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered but this is a pretty long thread. I was wondering if anyone has baked their pumpkin ahead of time and froze it to save time on brew day?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #977
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow...OK, this is very bizarre. Anyone else get an unusually high OG with this despite brewing according to the recipe? I brewed this today following the recipe almost to a T, only changing the extract version to a partial mash. My grain bill looked like this:

60 oz. pumpkin
3 lbs 8 oz. 2-row
8 oz. biscuit malt
4 oz. flaked wheat
3 lbs light DME
1 lb. 8 oz. pilsner DME

1 oz. US Goldings 4.9%

Mashed in 2 gallons of water at 162, temp dropped to 152 with grain and I left it for 40 minutes. I put the grains in 1.5 gallons of sparge water at 160, tea bagged, and then let it sit with the cover on for 15 minutes. Boiled all 3.5 gallons of wort on the stove, lost about .5 gallons to the boil, topped up with 3 gallons water in the carboy. Hopville's calculator says I should have come in around 1.054, which is damn close to what the OG is listed as. My OG? 1.089. Anyone see something I did wrong? What in the world caused such a huge bump in gravity, and what sort of results can I expect? I put in a 1 liter starter of 1469 West Yorkshire, but if the gravity is really that high will that be enough yeast to ferment out that much sugar? I'm at a loss here.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #978
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV
Wow...OK, this is very bizarre. Anyone else get an unusually high OG with this despite brewing according to the recipe? I brewed this today following the recipe almost to a T, only changing the extract version to a partial mash. My grain bill looked like this:

60 oz. pumpkin
3 lbs 8 oz. 2-row
8 oz. biscuit malt
4 oz. flaked wheat
3 lbs light DME
1 lb. 8 oz. pilsner DME

1 oz. US Goldings 4.9%

Mashed in 2 gallons of water at 162, temp dropped to 152 with grain and I left it for 40 minutes. I put the grains in 1.5 gallons of sparge water at 160, tea bagged, and then let it sit with the cover on for 15 minutes. Boiled all 3.5 gallons of wort on the stove, lost about .5 gallons to the boil, topped up with 3 gallons water in the carboy. Hopville's calculator says I should have come in around 1.054, which is damn close to what the OG is listed as. My OG? 1.089. Anyone see something I did wrong? What in the world caused such a huge bump in gravity, and what sort of results can I expect? I put in a 1 liter starter of 1469 West Yorkshire, but if the gravity is really that high will that be enough yeast to ferment out that much sugar? I'm at a loss here.
Did you stir/mix before reading? Hydro or refract? Temp compensation? Doesn't sound right. At 75% eff = 1.054 then 135% eff =1.088. Not possible.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #979
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo2569

Did you stir/mix before reading? Hydro or refract? Temp compensation? Doesn't sound right. At 75% eff = 1.054 then 135% eff =1.088. Not possible.
Check your Hopville volume and your actual volume did you put 5gal or 6.5gal into primary?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #980
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I shook the hell out of the carboy before taking the reading, and I took the reading with a hydrometer. I compensated for the temp, which at that point the sample was roughly 80 degrees in my stifling kitchen, and then even stuck the sample in the fridge for a little while to get it closer to 60 degrees and still got the same reading. The final volume was 6 gallons, and that was what I put into hopville for my batch size. I can show you the page here: http://hopville.com/recipe/1627906/spice-herb-or-vegetable-beer-recipes/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale It really seems like I did everything correctly. This is a head scratcher.

Quick Reply