Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #901
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot
Did you guys use a starter? Mynstarter jug already has lager yeast going for a Munich helles I'm doing Friday, with pumpkin ale on Saturday. I've never had a problem pitching my yeast into ales without a starter. I don't want to do this incorrectly though

Thanks
I personally did not as I didn't have the time or a grommet to even make a starter. So I just pitched my yeast. I used WLP002. Good krausen and lots of activity in less than 24hrs.
I do plan on trying starters and see if I notice a difference. I know almost everyone on here recommends a starter for all fermentations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #902
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
I personally did not as I didn't have the time or a grommet to even make a starter. So I just pitched my yeast. I used WLP002. Good krausen and lots of activity in less than 24hrs.
I do plan on trying starters and see if I notice a difference. I know almost everyone on here recommends a starter for all fermentations.
Thank you. I never brew two at once, my buddy is getting some gear so we will be making a second batch. I plan on using starters for all my recipes from here on too after reading about how much better it is fro the taste and overall quality

Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #903
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I didn't use a started either, and I had activity much earlier than I usually do. pretty excited to spice and keg. I plan on transferring to a secondary after ten days, then holding for three weeks before I keg.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #904
Dmatson89
Recipes 

I'm going to try a recipe somewhere between the thunderstruck pumpkin ale and it's big brother lady rumpkin pumpkin rum ale. So here's what I came up with after reading both threads. Let me know what you think

SMASHED RUMPKIN: PUMPKIN RUM ALE (PM)

6 gallon batch OG around 1.066

MASH:

(mash @154 degrees 60 min)

2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lb Belgian Biscuit Malt
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
1 lb Floor Malted Mars Otter, ( pre-toasted on a cookie sheet for 20 min @ 350 degrees)

FERMENTABLES:

6 lbs organic light LME (60 min)
1 lb Brown candy Sugar (60 min)
58oz Pumpkin, Canned, baked (see notes, half 60 min and other half 30 min)
¼ cup Molasses (baked with pumpkin)

HOP SCHEDULE:

1.5 oz Goldings (5.0% AA 60 min) 15 IBU
0.5oz Goldings (4.0% AA 5 min)
0.5 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

NOTES:

Pumpkin "pie": 2x29 oz cans of pumpkin baked at 350 for an hour with 1/4 cup molasses and two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice

Pumpkin spice tea: 1.25 tsp of quality pumpkin pie spice mixed with 6 ounces of spiced rum prepared on brew day but added at secondary along with a vanilla bean or two that has been split and soaked in rum for few days.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #905
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Update after 72 hours since fermentation began, this is what the trub has settled to.

image-2267703490.jpg

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #906
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

When I plug the AG recipe fermentables into BeerSmith, and convert to what I am looking to brew (only 3.0 gallons as a test run), I get:

OG Est 1.053
FG Est 1.014
ABV Est 5.11%

The Color, IBUs are spot on though

I obviously didn't add the pumpkin to the recipe, so I think this is where I am missing some sugars? I don't really see how to add it so I am curious if this is an Actual OG/FG or if I am just not as savvy with BeerSmith

Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #907
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmatson89 View Post
I'm going to try a recipe somewhere between the thunderstruck pumpkin ale and it's big brother lady rumpkin pumpkin rum ale. So here's what I came up with after reading both threads. Let me know what you think
I like the idea of the spiced rum. I highly doubt you'll get much flavor of it in the beer, but maybe that'll turn out very nicely with just a hint of spices

Seems like it will be high in alcohol content, which might take away from the spice flavors. You should be modeling this off of an Amber, which it's highest OG should be 1.060, I would even see if you could get down to 1.055. I would just worry that when you taste all you'll get is a strong alcohol/somewhat cinnamonny beer. You don't want to overpower what you're trying to do: bottle pumpkin pie! The alcohol is just an added bonus

I would take out the candied sugar, which would lower your OG estimate. I'm not a big fan of using it in the first place. I've used it once and I think it should only be used if you're shooting for a very high ABV, and even so, there are other (better) ways to get sugar present. I just don't like the flavor it seems to put into the beer.

Good idea with the molasses. I may try that with my pumpkin ale.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #908
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckferrorists View Post
Update after 72 hours since fermentation began, this is what the trub has settled to.

Attachment 69627
Thank you for the picture. It gives me a good idea of what to expect. That's still an awful lot of trub and I wouldn't expect it to go down much further. I think if I brew 3.0 gallons I should be able to get 2.5 out of it. I could go on the safe side and just brew 3.5 too- that way I won't siphon any of the trub during bottling trying to get every last drop!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #909
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't mean to overwhelm this thread with my postings, but I thought this might be a useful tool for people.

Many have said on here that they've had a hard time finding pumpkin around this time of the year, since it's not really a hot seller at the moment. I went to the website for the product that the OP used for this recipe and there is a store locator for you to see where you can buy it

http://www.verybestbaking.com/General/WhereToBuy.aspx

Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #910
Dmatson89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot

I like the idea of the spiced rum. I highly doubt you'll get much flavor of it in the beer, but maybe that'll turn out very nicely with just a hint of spices

Seems like it will be high in alcohol content, which might take away from the spice flavors. You should be modeling this off of an Amber, which it's highest OG should be 1.060, I would even see if you could get down to 1.055. I would just worry that when you taste all you'll get is a strong alcohol/somewhat cinnamonny beer. You don't want to overpower what you're trying to do: bottle pumpkin pie! The alcohol is just an added bonus

I would take out the candied sugar, which would lower your OG estimate. I'm not a big fan of using it in the first place. I've used it once and I think it should only be used if you're shooting for a very high ABV, and even so, there are other (better) ways to get sugar present. I just don't like the flavor it seems to put into the beer.

Good idea with the molasses. I may try that with my pumpkin ale.
I may cut the sugar by half but I still want it to be a little bigger ABV beer. I'm not exactly sure what the OG was I plugged it in last night but was at work when I put this online today so I'll have to double check when I get home

Quick Reply