Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #891
tuckferrorists
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb

Mmmm pumpkin cheesecake!! That sounds awesome!

Would the beer sitting on and fermenting on the pumpkin sediment pick up more taste than if it was filtered off? Or does it make no difference as all the flavor is imparted during the boil?
I have no comparison since I haven't brewed a pumpkin ale before. I'm hoping that it will settle more and really cake down at the bottom and the beer will rise up. It looks like I can only get about 3 gallons of actual beer at this point.

Anybody else who brewed this didn't strain the pumpkin out before putting in the fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #892
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I've been seriously questioning brewing this beer without pumpkin. That's a hell of a lot of trub and I've read numerous posts that make mention of the pumpkin not really giving off all that much flavor and that most of the pumpkin pie flavors come from the spices added.

Keep us posted if your trub settles down at all. I really would like to brew this with pumpkin, but not at the expense of having that much trub.

BTW, I'm planning on getting that Pampered Chef spice as well. My wife used to sell that stuff so I know how good it is!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #893
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It has been about 48 hours after pitching and all that pumpkin that settled is now dancing in the fermenter and my blow off valve is a constant stream of CO2. Not an extreme amount of kreusen yet.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #894
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

I just brewed this tonight, I was not able to strain it either. So I just poured it all in there! The wort tasted awesome!! I have high hopes for this one.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #895
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So what I read in these last 2-3 pages is that people who are doing the extract version are seeing a large amount of trub at the bottom of their carboy.

I assume since in All Grain, you mash the pumpkin, so do you still get a large amount of trub? I plan on doing this this weekend.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #896
tuckferrorists

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, fermentation has been kicking for another 24 hours, no sign of slowing, but a lot of the trub has settled even more and it appears as thought i have closer to 5 gallons of beer again.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #897
ChrisTags
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's good to know that the trub lowered a bit. Will be brewing tomorrow if I can find some cans of pure pumpkin, pumpkin pie filling is all I can find this time of year. Arghhhh

Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #898
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTags View Post
That's good to know that the trub lowered a bit. Will be brewing tomorrow if I can find some cans of pure pumpkin, pumpkin pie filling is all I can find this time of year. Arghhhh
Ah good point, I'll have to look tomorrow ahead of time to see if I can find some. I'm pretty sure I see canned pumpkin all year, I'll give it to my dog if he's hungrier than usual as a filler

Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #899
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot
So what I read in these last 2-3 pages is that people who are doing the extract version are seeing a large amount of trub at the bottom of their carboy.

I assume since in All Grain, you mash the pumpkin, so do you still get a large amount of trub? I plan on doing this this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckferrorists
Well, fermentation has been kicking for another 24 hours, no sign of slowing, but a lot of the trub has settled even more and it appears as thought i have closer to 5 gallons of beer again.
My trub has already dropped by at least an inch if not more in 24hrs. Looks awesome, tasted good from hydro reading, and smells great! I've got high hopes for this one.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #900
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Did you guys use a starter? Mynstarter jug already has lager yeast going for a Munich helles I'm doing Friday, with pumpkin ale on Saturday. I've never had a problem pitching my yeast into ales without a starter. I don't want to do this incorrectly though

Thanks

Quick Reply