Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
killerhertz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm confused. Are we supposed to just strain the wort before transferring to primary as usual? We don't need to use a grain bag do we? I imagine the pumpkin flesh is very chunky and will be a huge PITA for a fine mesh strainer...

I plan on brewing it this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #72
6fiddyv
Recipes 

Brewed this back in Dec 07. Tried a bottle last week. In the beginning it was not that good, but letting it mature has done wonders. Crystal clear orange color and really tastes good.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #73
McNasty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed 10 gallons of the AG yesterday. Everything went well. The only thing is I skipped the ginger root, because I couldn't find any. I can always make a tea and add it later. Or should I just skip it? I guess I'm asking if the ginger makes a noticeable difference or is it safe to skip. All the other spices smelled really good when I put them in the boil. I hoping this will be my best beer yet.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #74
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I skipped the ginger root, but added 1/2 tsp ground ginger instead

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #75
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

I'd like to make my next batch a Pumpkin Ale...& I'm interested in this recipe. Here's the thing...I'd like to do it without having any leftover ingredients (SWMBO is already not happy w/ beer equipment and bottles taking up room in our already crammed apartment)...so that means buying 2 3lb bags of DME and using a full oz of hops instead of .75. So compared to the original recipe...I'm under -.25 DME & +.25oz hops. Anything I could do (aside from buying more DME/using less hopes) to make it less bitter?...Could I just add sugar to the boil?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #76
mkw87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
I'd like to make my next batch a Pumpkin Ale...& I'm interested in this recipe. Here's the thing...I'd like to do it without having any leftover ingredients (SWMBO is already not happy w/ beer equipment and bottles taking up room in our already crammed apartment)...so that means buying 2 3lb bags of DME and using a full oz of hops instead of .75. So compared to the original recipe...I'm under -.25 DME & +.25oz hops. Anything I could do (aside from buying more DME/using less hopes) to make it less bitter?...Could I just add sugar to the boil?
It might be good with a bit of brown sugar added to it, I would consider that (or 1/2 to 1 cup of honey, or both )

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #77
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been thinking about doing this recipe and I printed one out a little while ago but it is different then the recipe in this thread but with the same name.... The older one that I have I am not sure where I got it from (it was somewhere on this site) but it has a lot more spices, more and more hops. Was this an old version that has now been modified to to this current recipe?

The old recipe that I had has
1oz Cascade (60)
1oz Cascade (20)
1oz fuggles (15)
1tsp allspice
cloves
only 30oz pumpkin

and some other spices too. Does this sound like an old recipe???? Oh and I am going with extract.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #78
mkw87
Recipes 

I transferred to secondary today, it tasted a LOT like water. I think I'm gonna get some pumpkin spice and maybe some brown sugar to add to it while in secondary. Any suggestions on improving flavor?

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #79
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Bears, I just took mine from the primary after 5 weeks. I dont think an extra .25 oz of hops would hurt it. I could smell more pumpkin than I could taste and it had very little spice flavor. I think this is gonna make a nice light drinking beer.
mkw, This is a light tasting beer, if you add brown sugar, it will either kick off fermentation again or make it sweet. Be careful adding spices It could easily mask the more subtle flavors that will become more apparent as it ages.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #80
McNasty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw87 View Post
I transferred to secondary today, it tasted a LOT like water. I think I'm gonna get some pumpkin spice and maybe some brown sugar to add to it while in secondary. Any suggestions on improving flavor?
I brewed a hefe that tasted a LOT like water once too. I tried it while taking a gravity reading. But it ended up fine with tons of flavor when it was finished. I'm still a beginner but I bet yours will be fine.

Quick Reply