Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #781
scratchex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Tasted a sample of the batch we brewed yesterday & I must say it tasted amazing. The pumpkin & the spices really come through quite nicely. It's not quite ready yet but from the sample I can tell it's going to be an awesome brew. Should technically be ready next Monday; the kegged batch that is. We were able to bottle some of it as well but those won't be ready for another couple of weeks.

Also just finished installing the taps on our "Keezer"

http://www.chrisgomezphoto.com/austi...1bfc#h35741bfc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #782
makisupa
Recipes 

My Thunderstruck is starting to carb. I kegged and charged it about 6 days ago. My final gravity came in a bit high (1.020) yet the beer seems a bit thin and lacks any sort of chewiness. Thought it might have a thicker mouthfeel with a FG that high.

Details: Brewday was exactly four days ago from this post. I pitched Wyeats 1968. Gravity hit 1.020 five days later and the beer cleared as well. I agiated in the primary for another week but the gravity remained. I racked to a secondary, and left it there for ten days. The beer feremented at 65 for 4-5 days and then I ramped it to 70.

JONATHAN HEALEY | CINEMATOGRAPHER - EDITOR
A VIEW OF YOU | FAST, NIMBLE, RELIABLE PRODUCTION
W: AVIEWOFYOU.TV | FB: FACEBOOK.COM/AVIEWOFYOU

ON TAP: Damn The Man Black IPA, Compo Kiwi IPA
SECONDARY: Saison Vin, Saison Zin, Compo Tripel
PRIMARY:

Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #783
refect
Recipes 

Made the extract version of this about a week ago. Just racked to clear the other day so i tasted a sample and it was amazing! However, i was looking at the brew tonight and i noticed a faint, kinda white in color, oily film developing on the top. It wasnt across the whole top. Just kinda blotched. Could this be oil from the spices? I fermented with WLP002 yeast at 65 degress. Brew is still sitting at 65 degress as it clears. Gravity was around 1.012 when i racked, and the sample didn't taste sour or strange. Before i racked, I boiled 1 cup of water for 5 mins then pulled it off the burner and added spices (i used spice island's pumpkin pie spice blend) to let them steep as it cooled. I then dumped the spiced tea into my sanitized carboy and racked onto it. I hope it is not an infection starting. This beer tasted amazing when i took a sample as i racked. Would be a shame for it to turn sour on me Any input on this? Guess i will just keep an eye on it to see if the film worsens..

Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #784
rebrandsoftware
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to add my opinion on this wonderful autumn beer: fantastic! Everyone loves it, I love it, and if you really want to make it outstanding rim your glass with a small bit of brown sugar! MMmmmm!

This will be an annual brew for me, thank you so much for the recipe!

-Mike

P.S. I can taste the pumpkin. Don't brew this without the pumpkin. I heard the BetterBrewing podcast about the pumpkin adding nothing and I think they got it wrong.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #785
lonepalm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wanted to share some pics of this brew. Needs 2 more weeks to condition but mighty tasty now.

Brewed on labor day and sat in primary for 10 days then another 14 in secondary.

Needs to be started the 1st of August.

image-2731106753.jpg   image-862369333.jpg   image-981900255.jpg  

Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #786
teetee523
Recipes 

Brewed the extract version of this beer and it's been almost 4 weeks bottle conditioning. We tried it earlier on and before bottling and it had a weird aftertaste to it, almost medicinal. I think it was the spices that needed some time to mellow out. Just tried one last night and that flavor has faded quite a bit and now is really good! Slightly sweet and spiced but not overwhelming. But in our case, it needed longer bottle conditioning to let the spices mellow out.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #787
thetmaxx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by refect View Post
Made the extract version of this about a week ago. Just racked to clear the other day so i tasted a sample and it was amazing! However, i was looking at the brew tonight and i noticed a faint, kinda white in color, oily film developing on the top. It wasnt across the whole top. Just kinda blotched. Could this be oil from the spices? I fermented with WLP002 yeast at 65 degress. Brew is still sitting at 65 degress as it clears. Gravity was around 1.012 when i racked, and the sample didn't taste sour or strange. Before i racked, I boiled 1 cup of water for 5 mins then pulled it off the burner and added spices (i used spice island's pumpkin pie spice blend) to let them steep as it cooled. I then dumped the spiced tea into my sanitized carboy and racked onto it. I hope it is not an infection starting. This beer tasted amazing when i took a sample as i racked. Would be a shame for it to turn sour on me Any input on this? Guess i will just keep an eye on it to see if the film worsens..

Mine is doing the same thing, thought it was going to sour, but it tastes pretty good.

I used the McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice. It seems like it has too much Cinnamon Spice to it, but we are only 2-3 weeks in bottle.

2011: 95 Gallons
2012: 100 Gallons
2013: 10 Gallons
Fermenting: Cream Ale, Smoked Chipotle Porter, Flanders Brown
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Oaked RIS, IPA, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Black IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof4age View Post
Begin pumping with the tip half in, half out.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #788
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

could one just add the spices along with the priming sugar, then add to the bottling bucket?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #789
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrandsoftware View Post
P.S. I can taste the pumpkin. Don't brew this without the pumpkin. I heard the BetterBrewing podcast about the pumpkin adding nothing and I think they got it wrong.
Agree 100% that the pumpkin is mandatory.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #790
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pumpkin and Cinnamon.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-963243192.jpg  

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider