Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #651
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I am using canned pumpkin and plan on cooking it for an hour as suggested. Question I have is can you cook it the night before? Was planning on brewing this Sunday, but where it looks more and more like MA is going to be under water from Hurricane Irene and I brew outdoors, I have to brew Saturday instead, but have limited time that day and knowing that that it could take several hours to drain the mash, was looking for some time savers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #652
DarkUncle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey all,

Will be doing this one this weekend hopefully. My ingredients are on the FedEx truck enroute.

So my only question now is that since the recipe was updated it is now no longer recommended to add ANY spices to the boil at all? Only during the clearing (secondary) phase as a "tea"?

I may have missed this "tea" term somewhere in this monstrosity of a thread. Are the spices added to a hop bag and simply dropped into the secondary vessel? Or are the spices placed into a hop bag and steeped into hot water like tea and the liquid is thereby poured into the secondary vessel?

If either is the case, are there any worries about sanitizing either the spice ingredients or the liquid "tea" that's essentially thrown right in?

Thanks!

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #653
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yuri do you recommend adding the spice tea to the keg?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #654
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Read the recipe notes in the first post as well as my post on the previous page to answer the last two questions.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #655
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm sorry I didn't see anything on the previous page about adding the spices to the keg.

So I guess "clearing time" would be time spent in the keg. Thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #656
Jwash1705
Recipes 

Yuri
I pitched wlp002 with a yeast starter and I have absolutely no activity in the air lock after 3 days. My question is could it be done? And if it is a stuck fermentation should I wait to check gravity until at least a week/2? Sorry if these are rookie questions and thanks for your help.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #657
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakudwn View Post
I'm sorry I didn't see anything on the previous page about adding the spices to the keg.

So I guess "clearing time" would be time spent in the keg. Thanks
To better answer your question, it depends. If you use a single fermenter and rack directly to a keg, then you may consider adding the spices to the fermenter during the last few days before racking. If you rack to another fermenter or bright tank, add the spices then. I prefer to leave the solids from the ground spices in the bottom of a fermenter, but if a few cloudy pours don't bother you, you can add them when kegging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwash1705 View Post
Yuri
I pitched wlp002 with a yeast starter and I have absolutely no activity in the air lock after 3 days. My question is could it be done? And if it is a stuck fermentation should I wait to check gravity until at least a week/2? Sorry if these are rookie questions and thanks for your help.
Yes, it could be done. Many ales have the bulk of fermentation done after 3 days. Check the gravity as much as you want. Your beer won't be ready to move until at least week two.

See this post (among many others like it):
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/no-...5/#post2767938

Old 08-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #658
teetee523
Recipes 

I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed, I looked at alot of the earlier pages and then the last few pages but couldn't seem to find an answer. For the extract recipe, it seems like a full boil, is this correct? We only can do a 3 gallon boil with our equipment and then usually add water to the fermenter, would this work with this recipe? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #659
strangebrew55
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea it works, I brew all my beers in 3-3.5 gal batches then add cold water to the rest of the wort to get the desired amount. It's a better method because you can add cold water to the wart to help it cool faster before pitching your yeast.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #660
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebrew55 View Post
Yea it works, I brew all my beers in 3-3.5 gal batches then add cold water to the rest of the wort to get the desired amount. It's a better method because you can add cold water to the wart to help it cool faster before pitching your yeast.
I do the same thing and I also just brewed a pumpkin ale 2 weeks ago. 3 gallon boil and topped it up with cold water to 5 gallons. Took the first taste/gravity reading after fermentation and it is AWESOME!!!!

DO IT!!!!!!!!

Aim small miss small.

strangebrew55 Likes This 

Quick Reply