Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #581
Xcorpia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot. This is going to be my next brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #582
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just brewed this one last night, but made a few substitutions...

I make 7 gallon batches because my fermenter (Got with the Cooper's starter kit) holds in excess of 8 gallons. Swapped the airlock for a blow off hose into a bucket of sanitizer. Then the 6.5gal carboys I have really hold almost 8, so a filtered 7 fits perfect with minimal headspace to reduce oxidation.

Anyways, so my recipe was 7 gallons, and here's how I did it:

10.9 lbs Light LME
1.4 lb Caramel Malt
11.2 oz Biscuit Malt
5.6 oz Flaked Wheat
6 15 oz cans of 'Farmer's Market' Organic Pumpkin Puree
1 oz Goldings for the full boil
1 tsp Irish Moss with :15 left
1 pkg Fermentis Safale S-04

1. Pumpkin went in a 9x13 pyrex dish in the oven at 350 for 40 mins (longer, because there was more, and it was thicker than a cookie sheet would have been). I put it in before it was preheated, then timed :40, then shut it off and let it sit in the warm oven during the steeping.

2. Grains steeped 40 mins at 150 degrees. (I've had success with higher OG and better malt flavor with the extra 10 minutes).

3. Crank to high, added pumpkin.

4. Boil started, added Goldings.

5. Made 2 spice teas, each around 1 cup. 1.5tsp in each cup. (secret family pumpkin pie ratios.. makes incredible pie). The first cup was spread out evenly across the boil, the second was at flameout.

6. Added the LME at flameout. (I used to add it into the boil, but I was told all this does is darken the beer and does little else to the final product).

7. Chill, transfer, cold water filled to 7 gallons, rested, pitched.

1.070 OG

It smelled incredible in my kitchen, between the pumpkin in the oven, the spice tea, and the awesome grain selection. However my girlfriend still can't appreciate the "beer stink".

Pictures:

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Next: Black Pepper ESB, Grapefruit Hefeweizen
Fermenting:"First Born" 123 Minute IIPA
Bottled/Kegged: "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #583
Hovercar
Recipes 

I'm loving the look of this recipe, but I have been thinking:

I've had several pumpkin ales and in each case my major complaint is that they don't have the body I envision. I always figured a pumpkin ale would be really heavy and chewy, like a porter or stout, or... you know... a pie

Looking at some of the pictures, the FG and ingredients, I'm thinking I might want to make this, but somewhat heavier. Would I be crazy to add some oatmeal or just malto-dextrine? I might like to darken it up somewhat too. I'd love to brew a pumpkin ale that is really reminiscent of a pie.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #584
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercar View Post
I'm loving the look of this recipe, but I have been thinking:

I've had several pumpkin ales and in each case my major complaint is that they don't have the body I envision. I always figured a pumpkin ale would be really heavy and chewy, like a porter or stout, or... you know... a pie

Looking at some of the pictures, the FG and ingredients, I'm thinking I might want to make this, but somewhat heavier. Would I be crazy to add some oatmeal or just malto-dextrine? I might like to darken it up somewhat too. I'd love to brew a pumpkin ale that is really reminiscent of a pie.
Go buy a bottle of Imperial Pumking from Southern Tier. 9%. Tasted like a pie, heavy sicky sweet mouthfeel too.

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
Bottled/Kegged: "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #585
Hovercar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextasy23 View Post
Go buy a bottle of Imperial Pumking from Southern Tier. 9%. Tasted like a pie, heavy sicky sweet mouthfeel too.
Based on that description, that's exactly the beer I'd like to brew. I've had their Creme Brulee so I have an idea of what they're capable of.

High-gravity, heavy mouthfeel, thick and chewy. Any ideas what I might add to the recipe to achieve it? I'm still pretty new to this, so I'd be guessing at what grains to add/increase in quantity. Oatmeal for mouthfeel, some darker grains? I don't want to butcher Yuri's recipe, just heavy it up

Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #586
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I actually just had one as I was brewing my Pumpkin Ale. (Brew pot on the right there )

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM

Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #587
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreetBeers View Post
+1 to this. Thanks, Yuri and the rest of the contributors. Going to do my first pumpkin beer in a couple of weeks and it will owe almost everything to this thread (reserving a modicum of credit for the brewer).

Oh, and I'm thinking about going Saison with it.
Did you ever "go Saison" with this? I'm thinking about it, and wondering if you tried it?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #588
LiquidWheel
Recipes 

Question on this beer...I'm trying to find a good time to brew. On many pumpkin beers, people say that the flavor (specifically the spices) tend to disappear after awhile in the bottle.

Curious if anyone has any experience on how long this one should last, and what may be the sweet spot in terms of when its best to drink after bottling?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #589
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

This beer is definitely best fresh. I usually serve it within a month of brewing. It always drops clear fairly early for me. After a few months, the flavor will definitely change. It's not bad, but the pumpkin fades REALLY fast, and the spices become muted shortly thereafter.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #590
LiquidWheel
Recipes 

Good to know, appreciate it!

Quick Reply