Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #521
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
brewed a version of this last night (extract), an "Imperial" version in an attempt to get closer to the Avery Rumpkin. From the recipe I used an additional pound of DME, one pound of brown sugar, one pound of pure maple syrup, a full pound of biscuit malt and a half pound of wheat. I doubled the hops to balance it (used a late addition for more aromatics vs. bittering). The pumpkin was baked for an hour with a light layer of molasses and spice on top. I used the Trappist Ale yeast (WL500) in a 3-liter starter. The spice tea consists of 12 oz of black rum with two tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice; it is sitting on the side for the secondary. OG came in at 1.084 It took off right away and is going like crazy. I hope my simple sugars are not too much for the yeast. I was going to add them later, but read that as long as you keep them to 20% or less of total fermentables it should be okay.

Very interesting convection currents in the wort during cooling. .. .
I'm interested to see how yours ends up. That's a lot of sugar, and I'm worried that it would be a bit thin when the final product is done, but I guess we'll have to see. Interesting take on the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #522
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Let me know how the BIAB session goes. What's your strategy with the pumpkin?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #523
deaton83
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Let me know how the BIAB session goes. What's your strategy with the pumpkin?
Going to toss the pumpkin in the grain bag with all the grain. Should be fine, right?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #524
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton83 View Post
Going to toss the pumpkin in the grain bag with all the grain. Should be fine, right?
it will turn to mush and leak out of the bag, rendering the bag useless for the pumpkin

Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #525
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Actually, that's probably the best you're going to do. The same thing that beninan mentions happens in a more traditional mash/lauter setup, hence the massive trub after fermentation.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #526
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

How long before this starts to settle out? I just went in after eight days of fermentation to take a gravity reading, it was much the consistency of split-pea soup. I would like to get as much of this gunk to the bottom before racking to secondary. Sample tasted really good and came in at 1.018; still some krausen floating on top.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #527
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton83 View Post
I used fresh pie pumpkins that were cut in 1/2, then roasted for 1.5 hours at 375. After cooled, I scooped flesh out and mashed with a potato masher. It was not the same baby food consistency as the canned pumpkin, and if I were you, I'd try this route b/c I dont't think it would leak out. You're going to need around 10-12 lbs of pumpkins before roasting to get the (+-)4 lbs of cooked pumpkin you need (of course that's if you go this route). good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #528
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

One other thing to consider... don't use a nylon paint bag to filter the pumpkin. Although it does a great job of filtering, it is so fine that it just plugs up... then all you have is a bag of wort that is heavy and drains EXCEEDINGLY slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #529
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright folks.. I did the extract version it was my second ever brew. After 3 weeks in the bottles, I'm drinking it and it's wonderful. Exactly what I want out of a pumpkin ale. Lots of Ale characteristics, the pumpkin comes through and the spices are subtle. I had a veteran brewer friend tell me he really likes it, and he normally doesn't like "fruit/spice" beers.

My only concern is that there is very little head retention which I thought the flaked wheat was supposed to help with. It's gone after a minute.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #530
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 437

53 pages. Sounds promising.

I have pumpkin left over. This sounds tastey. Could you use a barley grain bed as a filter after your last sparge to separate the pumpkin fibers?

Quick Reply