Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #501
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #502
natural
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.

Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #503
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.
Yep, thats why I ended up 13 pts too high! And yes I am an idiot! After diluting it to 6 gallons I ended up with an OG of 1.059. Might end a tad sweet with WLP002, but ohwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #504
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

After reading this thread and experiencing the Rumpkin from Avery (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/aver...-oh-my-200649/) I just have to make this one, perhaps boost up the fermentables a bit and make the spice "tea" with rum.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #505
fugazzi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazzi View Post
Just brewed a pumpkin pie spice beer with no pumpkin (couldn't find any). I scaled the 2nd recipe down to a 5g, and added the spices per instructions. I'll update when it's ready to drink.
Hey, just had a taste of this, a month from brewing. The spices are light but noticible, and smell exactly like pumpkin pie. I brewed a simple apa, so this beer is sessionable as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #506
natural
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm a little worried about being able to find Goldings where I live. I am going out tomorrow to search for some. If I can't find any, any suggestions on what I could sub it out with?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #507
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

An update...The beer we brewed a while back didn't end up being ready for the lobster party but sat in the fridge for a week or so and tasted good so we decided to bottle...I had some leftovers in the keg. I been pouring off a pint or so a night and I must say the (bottom) of the keg is the best. Or the (top) of a full one. Cheers tell next year. Unless my batch doesnt turn out. Then another 5 gallons for winter.

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #508
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tried my first one after a week in the bottle.
Man, is it ever sweet. Almost wish I'd used US-05 instead. Really nice spice flavor which is stronger than I thought since I dialed back a bit on the spice tea.

Hope it gets a bit better with age.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #509
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tried 2 pints last night. I get a well rounded pumpkin and spice. I would like a little more spice in the nose, but this is definitely going to be made again and again! Thanks Yuri!!!

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #510
Squid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
I just dumped the spices in secondary instead of making the spice tea. Should this be ok?
Perhaps. I figured the reason for making the "tea" is to sanitize the spices. Hope you don't wind up culturing some untasty microbes!

Also, the hot water probably helps release more spice flavor. No?

Quick Reply