Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #501
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just dumped the spices in secondary instead of making the spice tea. Should this be ok?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #502
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #503
natural
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Brewed a batch up today of the extract version. Since it has been months since I have done an extract batch, I had a senior moment. When I was at the LHBS I grabbed a 5 lb bag and a 1 lb bag of DME, figuring that I had .25 lb at home. Then to my surprise, I noticed the LHBS sold 6 lb bags of DME so I put the 5 lb bag back, but kept the 1 lb bag. After cooling I checked my hydro and had a OG of 1.066... DOH! I didn't figure out what I did wrong until I was entering everything into Beersmith. OOPS.. 7.25 lbs DME... Ohwell, diluted to nearly 6 gallons, and split the difference. Then I realized I forgot the Whirlfloc. Ohwell, no biggie there. This was also a last minute batch, so I didn't have time for a starter. So we'll see how she goes.

Also, thank God I didn't do the AG version. The pumpkin was such a PITA with just the extract. Smells great though. Looking forward to this one wrapping up.

Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #504
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Doesn't the recipe call for 6.25lbs for a 5 gallon batch? If i'm reading it correctly haha.

** Wait wait. I'm an idiot.
Yep, thats why I ended up 13 pts too high! And yes I am an idiot! After diluting it to 6 gallons I ended up with an OG of 1.059. Might end a tad sweet with WLP002, but ohwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #505
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

After reading this thread and experiencing the Rumpkin from Avery (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/aver...-oh-my-200649/) I just have to make this one, perhaps boost up the fermentables a bit and make the spice "tea" with rum.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #506
fugazzi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazzi View Post
Just brewed a pumpkin pie spice beer with no pumpkin (couldn't find any). I scaled the 2nd recipe down to a 5g, and added the spices per instructions. I'll update when it's ready to drink.
Hey, just had a taste of this, a month from brewing. The spices are light but noticible, and smell exactly like pumpkin pie. I brewed a simple apa, so this beer is sessionable as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #507
natural
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm a little worried about being able to find Goldings where I live. I am going out tomorrow to search for some. If I can't find any, any suggestions on what I could sub it out with?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #508
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

An update...The beer we brewed a while back didn't end up being ready for the lobster party but sat in the fridge for a week or so and tasted good so we decided to bottle...I had some leftovers in the keg. I been pouring off a pint or so a night and I must say the (bottom) of the keg is the best. Or the (top) of a full one. Cheers tell next year. Unless my batch doesnt turn out. Then another 5 gallons for winter.

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #509
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tried my first one after a week in the bottle.
Man, is it ever sweet. Almost wish I'd used US-05 instead. Really nice spice flavor which is stronger than I thought since I dialed back a bit on the spice tea.

Hope it gets a bit better with age.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #510
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tried 2 pints last night. I get a well rounded pumpkin and spice. I would like a little more spice in the nose, but this is definitely going to be made again and again! Thanks Yuri!!!

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Quick Reply