Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #211
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzUM View Post
For the extract recipe, what's the point of baking the canned pumpkin if you're just going to boil it for an hour? Seems that boiling it for an hour will cook it plenty and may even be able to pull more taste out of the pumpkin. No?
Baking will caramelize some of the sugars in the pumpkin, something boiling doesn't generally do.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #212
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hops substitution question?

I like this recipe. I am going to start it tomorrow. I have some fresh hops from a friend. I would like to know if I should use them instead of the Kent Goldings. Looking for some advice. I have Fresh Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, and Zeus. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #213
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Use the cheapest ones. This beer isn't about the hops.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #214
quixand
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yuri,

Do you recommend Spiced Pumpkin offal, or spicing the plain pumpkin before baking it to impart more "seasonal" flavors to it?

*edit*
http://www.verybestbaking.com/produc...s/pumpkin.aspx

That look good?

Last edited by quixand; 09-29-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #215
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

Yuri,

I racked to secondary from primary today (I use a white bucket for my primary) and I noticed that there wasn't much of a krausen ring left behind. There was a small 3/4" band around the top of the beer but it was pretty much clean above that. This is only my 3rd batch but the previous 2 I have done had a much larger ring almost all the way up to the lid.

I was worrying that the initial fermentation may have stalled? On the other hand, maybe this particular recipe has a less aggressive fermentation? My airlock was bubbling away for 3 or 4 days so I'm probably worrying for nothing but I was just wondering what you thought or if anyone else had any thoughts

Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #216
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

quixand - you spice the beer, not the pumpkin. Use the 100% pumpkin, not the pie mix.

TBL - you need a hydrometer. There's no way to diagnose your beer based on the information you gave above. First, RDWHAHB (it's probably fine). Then, get a hydrometer.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #217
goetzUM
Recipes 

Default pumpkin substitutes

When looking around for canned pumpkin today, I found that the rumors of a pumpkin shortage are indeed true. I'm in Portland, OR and could not find canned pumpkin at Fred Meyer, Wild Oats, or Zupans. A search online from someone that emailed Libby's revealed this response:

Quote:
Dear Ms. Bouldin,
Thank you for contacting Libby’s® 100% Pure Pumpkin.
I am sorry that you are having a difficult time finding Libby’s Pumpkin. Due to unfavorable weather conditions last fall, some of the pumpkin did not meet our high quality standards. Therefore, our harvest was smaller than typical and you may have some difficulty finding Libby’s Pumpkin.
We are in the process of harvesting our pumpkins and you will be able to find it in all sizes within the next few weeks.
We appreciate your interest and hope you will visit our website often for the latest information on our products and promotions.
Sincerely,
Tara Williams
Consumer Response Representative
Ref: N17000232
I was curious about whether I should buy some of the normal orange jack-o-lantern style pumpkins that went on sale in the last couple weeks, but, after again doing some internet research I discovered that may not be the most appropriate option. It seems that Libby's Dickinson Pumpkins, the kind they use for canned pumpkin, are actually a variety of Curcubita moschata, a family of squash that includes the butternut squash, but not jack-o-lanterns. So, if you're looking for actual pumpkin (not canned) to use, a butternut squash may be the best option available. The orange flesh approximates the taste of Libby's Pumpkin better, and it's far easier to cook than the typical Jack-o-lantern Pumpkin (which falls under the family Curcuibita Pepo along with many other decorative gourds).

More info:

Quote:
It turns out that some canned pumpkin is actually – gasp! – squash. Some manufacturers make "pumpkin" puree from one or more kinds of winter squashes such as butternut, Hubbard, and Boston Marrow, which can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color.

But before we start crying fraud, it is interesting to note the rather fuzzy distinction between pumpkins and squashes. There are three varieties of winter squashes: Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita maxima, and Curcubita moschata. C. pepo includes the gourds we traditionally think of as pumpkins, such as the kind used for jack-o'-lanterns. Hubbard and Boston Marrow squashes fall into the C. maxima category, while C. moschata includes butternut squashes as well as the Dickinson pumpkins used by Libby's, the producer of most of the canned pumpkin in North America.
And more:

Quote:
According to Merriam-Webster's definition, a pumpkin could be any of these squash; Cucurbita pepo, Cucurbita moschata, or Cucurbita maxima. Both other brands of canned pumpkin on the shelf, Libby's and One-Pie, use Dickinson pumpkins (C. moschata), 30-100 lb. tan pumpkins known to be good for canning.

On the surface, the Dickinson pumpkin, Libby's variety, is unappealing. A misshapen, pale sibling to its brighter-colored brethren, the oblong Dickinson averages 20 pounds. It has ridges streaking the rind and looks more like a butternut squash. When ripe, the fruit's skin tends to be a dull gold or tan.

But inside, the sweet-smelling flesh is burnt orange. In comparison to other varieties of pumpkins, there is more flavorful meat per pound: The rind is thinner, the seeds are fewer and the hollow core inside each fruit is smaller.
So, since I can't seem to find any canned pumpkin anywhere, I'm planning on making it much easier on myself and am going the butternut squash route.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #218
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

so i took a reading today and my gravity was right at 1.015.... apparently everything went smoothly

Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #219
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can also use Atlantic giant pumpkins to make pies, or beer. I was reading about one of the breweries that uses Atlantic giant for it's pumpkin additions. I've backed off using the pumpkin as a mash tun, too much time involved. I still wonder what leaving the skin on would do though.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #220
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I now have 12 pumpkins harvested from my garden this year. Surprising thing is, I planted no pumpkins. They came up from seeds from last year when SWMBO allowed the decorative pumpkins to rot in the front garden. I pulled many of the early plants out of the garden and threw them over the hillside behind my house. They took root again and I now have 12 decent sized pumpkins. I plan to use them to make this recipe up in the next week or so.

I had wanted to get this brew going earlier, but so many things to do and so little time to do them.

Is the recipe in the second post on page 1 (AG) current? Have the changes over time been recorded or updated, so that the recipe listed is the most up to date?

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Quick Reply