Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #201
Spyd3r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I highly recommend intentionally undershooting the spices during your brew day and adjusting to taste with the "tea" method.
Well ****...I didn't put any spice in during the brewing, and am waiting to add them in the secondary like the recipe stated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #202
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just FYI, I found the canned pumpkin here in NC at Harris Teeter.

Also, for all those who converted down to a 5 gallon batch, or Yuri please chime in also...how much pumpkin do you recommend to mash with?

Last edited by dmbnpj; 09-24-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #203
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just pulled this from primary and racked onto spiced tea...It sat on the trub for about 2 weeks and I plan to let it sit another 2 in the secondary.

Gravity was on point *I did the extract version*.

Question though...Is this one of those beers that tastes amazing from the hydro sample but tastes amazingly awesome after carbing up? I tasted the sample post spice tea addition and man it was on freaking point!

Can't wait to knock some back on thanksgiving!

My plan to make this a little extra fancy is to make a mixture of crushed gingerbread, cinnamon plus(very little), and some orange colored decorating sugar and coat the rim of the glass margarita style...Just to be festive

Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #204
Spyd3r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

3 days into fermenting and the temps are holding solid at 68F. Bubbling has slowed to 1 every 8-10 seconds. I plan on waiting another week until the rack to secondary/spice tea.

I'm gonna do it right this time, and probably swamp cooler the secondary as well. I have a surprisingly perfect fermentation chamber in my house that I didn't even think about prior to this brew. It's a fairly large linen cabinet in my bathroom. Ambient air temp is 72F.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #205
ThinBlueLine
Recipes 

I brewed this on Tuesday and it smelled awesome! I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon plus during the last 5 minutes of the boil and it smelled like I was cooking pumpkin pie in my garage!

I couldn't find canned pumpkin anywhere. I live in Tulsa OK and every store I went to told me that they havent been able to get any in. I even went to Dallas this weekend for a football game and looked there but they seemed to be out as well.

If anyone else has had a problem finding the canned stuff this is what I did: I bought 1 medium sized baking pumpkin and cut it in half (the grocery stores should have whole pumpkins now). I scooped all the seeds and "gook" out of it and placed it on a baking sheet open side down. The pumpkin then went into the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. You'll know its about done when the shell starts to sag and the pumpkin begins to exude a watery substance. Once it was cool enough I used an icecream scoop to scoop all of the pumpkin meat into a food processor. Make sure you dont get any of the skin in there. I pureed it till it was the consistency of the canned stuff and from there I followed Yuri's instructions... IE spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes before adding to wort.

Correct me if I'm wrong Yuri but I think this should come out pretty close to the canned stuff. Either way, it's the closest I could get with the apparent shortage we've got going on

Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #206
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For folks in Portland, I couldn't find Libbey's canned pumpkin at any of the conventional supermarkets, but I did find organic canned pumpkin at the Food Front co-op. You could also try New Seasons, I bet they have brands other than Libbey's. And, randomly, Portland Pet Supply on Hawthorne is selling 100% pumpkin in cans, meant for people who want to give their dogs something to calm their stomachs. Heh.

I'm going to try Yuri's 6 gallon version tomorrow, just have to find that cinnamon plus and I'll be set! Is that something you can buy in stores, usually?

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #207
FuelshopMcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No pampered chef stuff is not something you will find in stores you have to order it but you can easily make it yourself or probably just get away using that pumpkin pie spice mix which smells about the same *you can find this easily*.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #208
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok cool, just brewed up about 6 gallons of this, no problems sparging thanks to the rice hulls! I went with Wyeast 1099, and a teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice. I plan to add more spice, lactose, and possibly pumpkin extract at bottling if I think it needs it. Definitely going for a sweet pumpkin pie sort of flavor.

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #209
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just racked mine to keg last night and wow the Pumpkin is back! The flavor must have been covered by the yeast still that last time I took a sample because its back baby!

Now I need to force myself not to start drinking it yet!

shat happens

Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #210
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm planning on using real pumpkin, in fact I may mash in one and then ferment in one (but only 1 gallon fermenting in a pumpkin in case it goes sour). I wanted to put my electric element in the 3rd one I grew and boil in it, but I think the pumpkin would just sag and leak during the boil.

Anyway as for the addition of pumpkin to the mash, would leaving the skin on be a bad thing?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply