Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #161
womencantsail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 81
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default


I searched through the thread but didn't see anyone asking/answering this question:

I am going to be building a mash tun out of a cooler in a few days and plan on making this recipe and using the baked, canned pumpkin. I was wondering if putting the pumpkin in a nylon grain bag and then putting that in my mash tun would help out at all on the slow sparging that has been mentioned repeatedly?

__________________
womencantsail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #162
ThatGuyRyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Elmhurst, IL
Posts: 637
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by womencantsail View Post
I searched through the thread but didn't see anyone asking/answering this question:

I am going to be building a mash tun out of a cooler in a few days and plan on making this recipe and using the baked, canned pumpkin. I was wondering if putting the pumpkin in a nylon grain bag and then putting that in my mash tun would help out at all on the slow sparging that has been mentioned repeatedly?
I just brewed this on Saturday and with a pound of rice hulls and I had no problem sparging at all. It was a little slower but not the 4+ hours some had.
__________________

shat happens

ThatGuyRyan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #163
womencantsail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 81
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Do you just throw the rice hulls in the mash with all the other grains and the pumpkin? Or do you put them in after steeping the grains?

__________________
womencantsail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #164
k1200rsvt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 76
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


I have a couple of questions...I am fairly new to homebrewing and completely new to this forum. I bought the ingredients for the Extract version of this ale last night, but wasn't thinking and only bought 6.25# of Malt Extract Syrup. Based on what I have read online I believe I should have multiplied that by 1.2 and bought 7.5# since the recipe calls for Dry Malt Extract. As I thought through it I had three thoughts and am looking for a more experienced brewers opinion as to which is the best...

1.) Brew it with 6.25# thus being low on fermentable sugar and ending up with a lighter less alcoholic end product.
2.) Go back to the store and buy more Extract.
3.) Add some molasses to the boil (probably about a cup - 12 ounces) to make up for some of the lost fermentable sugar. I have seen other pumpkin ale recipes that include molasses.

Any suggestions as to which would be best...#2 is obviously the safest, but I am kind of curious about the molasses.

Thanks.

__________________
k1200rsvt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #165
ThatGuyRyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Elmhurst, IL
Posts: 637
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by womencantsail View Post
Do you just throw the rice hulls in the mash with all the other grains and the pumpkin? Or do you put them in after steeping the grains?
I threw the hulls in with the grains before the mash.
__________________

shat happens

ThatGuyRyan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #166
ThatGuyRyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Elmhurst, IL
Posts: 637
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200rsvt View Post
I have a couple of questions...I am fairly new to homebrewing and completely new to this forum. I bought the ingredients for the Extract version of this ale last night, but wasn't thinking and only bought 6.25# of Malt Extract Syrup. Based on what I have read online I believe I should have multiplied that by 1.2 and bought 7.5# since the recipe calls for Dry Malt Extract. As I thought through it I had three thoughts and am looking for a more experienced brewers opinion as to which is the best...

1.) Brew it with 6.25# thus being low on fermentable sugar and ending up with a lighter less alcoholic end product.
2.) Go back to the store and buy more Extract.
3.) Add some molasses to the boil (probably about a cup - 12 ounces) to make up for some of the lost fermentable sugar. I have seen other pumpkin ale recipes that include molasses.

Any suggestions as to which would be best...#2 is obviously the safest, but I am kind of curious about the molasses.

Thanks.
I am pretty new also but I would either get more DME or use some sugar. Molasses may impact the flavor.
__________________

shat happens

ThatGuyRyan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #167
o0weno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 53
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


HEADS UP!

I just got back from a three store shopping search to find canned pumpkin. According to Fred Meyer (NW Walmart-ish chain) Libby's had some sort of mix up at the manufacturing plant and it's going to be a month before the next batch hits the stores. The place I found it in only had three cans on the shelf.

Get your pumpkin now, or order online if you plan on making this.

__________________
o0weno is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #168
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 536
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
Reviving this one...On page 3 there is a conversion for 5 gallons. I plugged the 15 gal recipe into BeerSmith and came out with these numbers:

Brew Type: All Grain
OG: 1.053
IBU: 14
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.67 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % (I get around 68%)

7.70 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.83 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.92 lb Biscuit Malt
0.37 lb Wheat, Flaked
1.10 lb Rice Hulls
60.00 oz Pumpkin (Canned) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.82 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)
0.55 tsp Clove (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.55 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.10 tsp Allspice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.10 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Anybody else get different #'s when converting down to 5 gallons?
I came out with:

Brew Type: All Grain
OG: 1.053
Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Volume: 3.53 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.67 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.83 lb Biscuit Malt
0.33 lb Wheat, Flaked
60.00 oz Pumpkin (Canned) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.92 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 ginger root
0.50 tsp Clove (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.5 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Allspice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Why is it telling me my boil volume is only 3.53 gal?
__________________
dmbnpj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #169
k1200rsvt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 76
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


I brewed this weekend. I did the extract version with the following changes:

- 6.25# Liquid Malt Extract (approximately half pale and half amber).
- 12oz (1 cup) Molasses to make up for some of the lack of malt from the Liquid vs Dry.
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings.
- 7.25# Fresh Pumpkin cut up and roasted in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour.

I am really looking forward to tasting it...Its going to be a tough wait til Halloween.

__________________
k1200rsvt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #170
amishland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
amishland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 410
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


if you have a gfs they have plenty of canned pumkin, i used it and it tasted nice. gordons Food Service

__________________
amishland is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale Opinions Brett3rThanU Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 01-10-2012 11:40 PM
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale recipe questions BADS197 Extract Brewing 11 10-16-2009 10:43 PM
thunderstruck pumpkin - very high OG??? ManyBrews Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-04-2009 05:41 PM
Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale... Duckfoot Home Brewing Photo Forum 3 07-29-2009 09:52 PM
Extract Versions of Commercial Beers spinoza Extract Brewing 8 01-04-2009 10:19 PM