Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #1361
bigelowsbest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The one time I bottle conditioned this I used the standard 1oz/gallon and it came out great! No reason you can't use brown sugar either, id maybe go a little heavier (6.5oz/5gal) due to brown sugar having a higher moisture content than dextrose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #1362
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 93 Posts

Had my first taste of this tonight after 11 days conditioning in the bottle. This truly ONE IF THE BEST pumpkin ales Ive had this year. Ive tried everything else I could find and this is right on par with Schaflys pumpkin ale, liquid pumpkin pie in a glass! Thanks for the recipe!!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #1363
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Day
I use a rectangular cooler with a slotted pvc manifold. Forgot about the rice hulls everyone recommends, but was surprised to have no issues. I added the pumpkin last, and even though I stir and batch sparge, most of it stayed in the upper half of the mash. I ended up opening the valve wide open after vorlauf just like normal. Maybe I was just lucky.
Same setup, use 1/2 lb rice hulls, no problems

Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #1364
ClunkClunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegged this about a week ago, force carbonated, and served some at our family's pre-Thanksgiving get together today along with dessert.

Got good reviews from the family! The nose was a strong pumpkin pie. Taste reduced the pumpkin pie spices, but brought in the brown ale flavors. Fairly clean finish.

I liked it, though if I make it again in the future, I'll probably reduce the spices by a third or half. I found it very drinkable without spices, and with the spices, it's a bit much for more than a ~8oz serving. However as the weeks go on, if the spices mellow a bit I might enjoy a larger amount.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #1365
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on going easy on the spice. Overdid mine and it detracts from the beer.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 11-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #1366
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This truly is an amazing pumpkin oie ale recipe. And with a shot of whipped cream vodka, WOW!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #1367
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcook1 View Post
This truly is an amazing pumpkin oie ale recipe. And with a shot of whipped cream vodka, WOW!!!
Ooh, good idea! I still have ONE bomber left of the batch of this I brewed last fall. It'll be a Thanksgiving Day treat this year.

Primary: Kolsch
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale
Planning: IPA

Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #1368
yyvjpv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Although I feel like I am jumping on the bandwagon a bit :-) I just brewed this and put into the primary today. Did the extract version, OG came out to 1.050. Pretty much followed exactly as written except the crystal malt I was able to get a hold of was 65L, not 60, and I used a WL Irish Ale Yeast that I harvested/washed from my first batch last month. Hoping that it turns out ok despite the yeast substitute I had the jars to use up so wanted to do that before going and buying a brand new strain. I'll tell you in 3 weeks whether that was a good idea or not.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to Yuri in particular, but also to everyone who has posted on this. I've spent the last week or so reading through every last post taking little bits of info and getting more and more excited for today. Its pretty cool to be part of something where even the most accomplished expert will take time to answer hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions from people like myself who are still trying to figure out which end of the hygrometer is up! Now I am excited for the "clearing stage" when I get to add my spice tea. If all turns out well and I can be patient enough to age it, this should be really freaking good come Thanksgiving.

In Primary: Pumpkin Ale
In Bottles: Oatmeal Stout
Planning Next: Honey Basil Wit, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Strong Scotch Ale

Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 AM   #1369
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyvjpv View Post
Although I feel like I am jumping on the bandwagon a bit :-) I just brewed this and put into the primary today. Did the extract version, OG came out to 1.050. Pretty much followed exactly as written except the crystal malt I was able to get a hold of was 65L, not 60, and I used a WL Irish Ale Yeast that I harvested/washed from my first batch last month. Hoping that it turns out ok despite the yeast substitute I had the jars to use up so wanted to do that before going and buying a brand new strain. I'll tell you in 3 weeks whether that was a good idea or not.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to Yuri in particular, but also to everyone who has posted on this. I've spent the last week or so reading through every last post taking little bits of info and getting more and more excited for today. Its pretty cool to be part of something where even the most accomplished expert will take time to answer hundreds (if not thousands!) of questions from people like myself who are still trying to figure out which end of the hygrometer is up! Now I am excited for the "clearing stage" when I get to add my spice tea. If all turns out well and I can be patient enough to age it, this should be really freaking good come Thanksgiving.
Yes, youre jumpin the bandwagon! But thats ok. I'll be surprised if this lasts til Thanksgiving. Better plan on brewing another batch in August lol

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."
Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #1370
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Anyone try yams in this instead of pumkin?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply