Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #1331
72IBU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed 5 gal AG batch of this last weekend. Im considering splitting it, dry hopping half of it and leaving the other half with just the spice additions. Considering 1/2 oz of willamette or Goldings, any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #1332
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 357 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Brewed this today. Used BIAB method. Came out right on the numbers. Thanks for a great smelling recipe! Cant wait to try this one.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #1333
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Made a 5 gallon AG last night; second time brewing this recipe. I used four sugar pumpkins cubed and roasted at 350 F for an hour. Last time I used five, and it ended up being a little squash-y. I don't mash the pumpkins, just throw them in a grain bag and boil for an hour.

Unfortunately, with a recent move I discovered too late that I lost my refractometer and hydrometer. I'm usually pretty good about hitting my targets, so we'll see! Tasted good, and after an unfortunate realization that ground water temperature is currently 80 F, got temps down to under 75 F for the packet of US-05. I've been holding it in a water bath in my BK; water temp is about 70 F.

Started bubbling about 8 hours after pitching, and after 12 I had a full krausen.

Kegged: Soon...
Future: Alchemist Heady Topper Clone, Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone, Session Bitter

Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #1334
Luzer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Brewed this about a week ago and I'm going to add the spices in the secondary later today. If I cold crash before I put it in the keg will I lose some of the spice flavor instead of cold crashing before the secondary?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #1335
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone added Lactose? Do you think 1lb would be too much?

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #1336
CPORT546
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just bottled my 3rd batch of this. I've made a few changes so far this is my best yet if the samples at bottling are any indication. I switched to Wyeast 1056. And I've added a Madagascar vanilla bean to the secondary with the "spice tea." I soaked the scraped and chopped bean in 2 oz of vodka for a week shaking up daily and then dumped the whole thing into secondary.

Primary: Cali Common, Robust Porter
Bottled: Pumpkin, ALDIwein, Dunkelweizen, American Lager, Belgian IPA, Vanilla/Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Haus IPA, Hefe
Kegged: Apfelwein, Athanum PA, Dortmunder Export
Upcoming: Watermelon Wheat, Caz Willie IPA, Mosaic PA, Spriced Cherry Dubbel

Old 10-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #1337
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFields View Post
Has anyone added Lactose? Do you think 1lb would be too much?
I think it would be a bit on the sweet side if you added lactose. If you want to, I would probably do it as a side batch by pulling about a gallon off and adding the lactose to that. Good luck

Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #1338
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So I tried this the other night after brewing it back in July and it is baaaad. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong (followed the extract recipe) and then I noticed in my notes I used 1 oz of pumpkin spices. Not 100% sure that is what I did but it's what my notes say so I'm guessing that is what is wrong since the recipe only calls for 1 tsp, therefore I roughly added 6 times the spices as necessary.

Assuming my notes are accurate, do you think these spices will ever temper?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #1339
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer
So I tried this the other night after brewing it back in July and it is baaaad. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong (followed the extract recipe) and then I noticed in my notes I used 1 oz of pumpkin spices. Not 100% sure that is what I did but it's what my notes say so I'm guessing that is what is wrong since the recipe only calls for 1 tsp, therefore I roughly added 6 times the spices as necessary. Assuming my notes are accurate, do you think these spices will ever temper?
I had a bottle from almost a year ago, the spices mellowed, but we're still there. May be a looong time before that much mellows!!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #1340
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb
I had a bottle from almost a year ago, the spices mellowed, but we're still there. May be a looong time before that much mellows!!
I hear they do eventually, but you may want to just put this one in a dark corner with an open date of 2 years from now. I'd set a calendar alarm too. Just sayin'

Quick Reply