Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #1251
letmeholleratya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegged a few days ago and tried it today. Delicious. I used a spice mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cloves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1252
Eshorebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just bottled my "imperial stuck sparge" version and it tastes awesome. Can't wait for it to carb up.

Bottle Conditioning: Blueberry Blonde (AG)
Fermenting: Nut Brown (AG)
Next on Deck: Chocolate Stout (AG)

Always do sober what you said you‘d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. – Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #1253
snowman48360
Recipes 

Default Need help spicing

I've read two thirds of the posts and haven't seen an answer to this and I wonder if I have a problem on my hands.

Mine is being made for family. She's looking for a strong pumpkin pie taste.

We made a spice tea (1 teas pumpkin pie mix in 1 cup) and she liked 6 teas per 4 oz of a sample that did not taste green.

That's 1/8 cup per 1/2 cup. Or 20 teas in 20 cups per 5 gallons. Her Husband figured that 4 teas tasted about the same but its still a lot.

My problem is that the beer in my secondary tastes green. I added 10 teas in 7 cups. (got a little slimy when it cooled - before adding, the mix didn't say it has gelatin but i think it did.)

Could barely tasted the spices after adding because of strong green flavor. After couple of days spice flavor is twice stronger but not like the really pronounced flavor she favors.

Would appreciate some advice....

Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1254
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

The greenness will age out, this takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks before the taste really shines.
And the later you add the spices, the more pronounced it will be. Try adding them to your bottling bucket. As far as this one getting thick, I have no idea!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1255
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman48360 View Post
I've read two thirds of the posts and haven't seen an answer to this and I wonder if I have a problem on my hands.

Mine is being made for family. She's looking for a strong pumpkin pie taste.

We made a spice tea (1 teas pumpkin pie mix in 1 cup) and she liked 6 teas per 4 oz of a sample that did not taste green.

That's 1/8 cup per 1/2 cup. Or 20 teas in 20 cups per 5 gallons. Her Husband figured that 4 teas tasted about the same but its still a lot.

My problem is that the beer in my secondary tastes green. I added 10 teas in 7 cups. (got a little slimy when it cooled - before adding, the mix didn't say it has gelatin but i think it did.)

Could barely tasted the spices after adding because of strong green flavor. After couple of days spice flavor is twice stronger but not like the really pronounced flavor she favors.

Would appreciate some advice....
I'm not sure if I'm following your additions but it sounds like you are talking about way too much spice for this recipe. I used a half tsp at KO and 1 tsp at bottling. Mine tasted great at 3-4 weeks after bottling and peaked soon after. The spices faded slowly over time leaving a roasted pumpkin flavor with soft spice notes. I prefer this fresh.

How long has yours been fermenting? This tastes very different warm and flat before adding spices at bottling. As usual, I would recommend sticking to the original recipe and seeing how you/others like it and then make adjustments the next time around. It worked for me.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #1256
snowman48360
Recipes 

Default How long fermenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
How long has yours been fermenting? This tastes very different warm and flat before adding spices at bottling. As usual, I would recommend sticking to the original recipe and seeing how you/others like it and then make adjustments the next time around. It worked for me.
30 days in primary 10 in secondary. You're right about sticking with the original and adjusting. Making for a relative to celebrate her having a baby. She really likes Pumpking an out of town commercial beer. I was trying to use the suggestion of making a tea and spicing to taste. may have gotten carried away.

I guess if its too spicy I could let it age and lose some spiciness?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1257
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman48360 View Post
30 days in primary 10 in secondary. You're right about sticking with the original and adjusting. Making for a relative to celebrate her having a baby. She really likes Pumpking an out of town commercial beer. I was trying to use the suggestion of making a tea and spicing to taste. may have gotten carried away.

I guess if its too spicy I could let it age and lose some spiciness?
A friend of mine said my result was close to Pumking and I added an extra half tsp to the base recipe. I'm not sure how that spice will age out. Some actors in the blend may fade quickly others may never at all. Let your customer decide I suppose.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #1258
automobiliben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got a jump on my pumpkin beer for the season, just put 12G in the fermenter! Had a slow mash, I will probably do a partial mash of sorts next time with the Pumpkin in the boil kettle...

Ben

Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #1259
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

I kegged mine this year.

It was lighter than I remember, could late extract additions really lighten it up that much, or am I misremembering the color?
It tasted VERY green and almost a young wine flavor, I was worried I screwed up. But after four days in the keg, it is already tasting better. How long do y'all normally give it to age in the keg?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1260
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Can't wait to try this recipe doing BIAB this year! I made 2 batches of this doing extract last fall and thought it was EXCELLENT! But since I started doing AG using BIAB, my beers have been turning out even better so I'm kind of excited to see how the AG version of this turns out!

Probably should think about brewing this in the next few weeks...

Gotta brew my house IPA for college football season first though...

Quick Reply