Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #1231
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153

I might convert this one to a PM recipe and then put the pumpkin in the mash. Not sure how that would work since I wouldn't be doing AG. I figure it might be worth a shot.
It would work. Be sure to keep some base grain in the PM to convert the pumpkin and other grain starches.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #1232
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Anyone ever make this recipe using BIAB?

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #1233
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
Can't think of why it wouldn't work. Reduce your efficiency by 10 or so then add enough base grain to get the OG back up. I've not tried BIAB myself but that seems to be the most popular way to convert recipes to it.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #1234
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Just tapped the keg of this. Pretty tasty! I was worried that 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice at kegging wasn't going to be enough, but its just where it should be! You can smell it in the nose, taste it in the beer, but it is not overpowering. Thanks for the recipe Yuri!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #1235
PowderHoundMJ
Recipes 

Just bottled this weekend. Time is your best friend on this recipe. I tasted out of the secondary about 2 weeks after racking onto the 1tsp spices and thought it tasted like crap. Just poorly balanced. Due to lack of empty bottles, it sat in that secondary for about 5 weeks and when I tasted it Saturday prior to bottling it was a whole different animal. Very smooth, nicely balanced with a subtle yet distinct nose and a great maltyness (156 mash) to accompany the extra body from the pumpkin made this slide down like a piece of pie. Really looking forward to having it cool and carbonated.

I did a slightly amped up version that Yuri posted mid thread. about 14lb grain all in the same proportions.

On Deck: ??? ideas?
Primary: Milk Stout,
Secondary: British IPA, American IPA
Bottled: Chili Gold
Drinking: Odell IPA Clone, Bee Hive Rye IPA, Homegrown HighPA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout Experiment,

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1236
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I highly recommend not adding it the mash. I have read most or all of this entire thread. From my perspective the amount of conversion you get is not worth the hassle. I threw mine in the boil kettle and aside from having more trub than usual, the brew day was very typical. There are posts on here that will make you cringe regarding stuck sparges and the like. Lastly, when people who have brewed this multiple times start asking if you can leave out the pumpkin all-together, you have to wonder if it is worth the risk of mashing.

As far as prep, I spread my canned pumpkin on a cookie sheet and baked for about 45min. I also spread about 1/2 lbs brown sugar on top thinking it would improve things. All it did was dry my beer out. My final gravity was 1.009. I did 10 gal and bottled half as-is but I added 2oz of malto-dextrin to the second half at bottling time. The difference is substantial. Adding only 2 oz really improved the beer in making it less dry.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #1237
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

And so I properly disclaim myself and respond to MMJfan, I brewed it BIAB. If you don't put the pumpkin in the bag (i.e. the mash for the BIAB method) it's a piece of cake. Or in this case pie. Pumpkin pie to be exact. Thank you...I'll be here all night...

Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1238
brauchef10
Recipes 

brewed this up yesterday, used a leftover uncarved Halloween pumpkin and rasted in the oven, and also for the spice, I grabbed Trader joes pumpkin pie spice mix, then used your method in steeping the spice.
Bubbling away happily this morning, so can't wait to try it

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #1239
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Basically I took the main all-grain recipe (15 gal), divided by 3, and made a few small adjustments. Also, adjusted the hops for No-Chill brewing. The recipe has changed since I brewed it, so the recipe below is a little different from current, but the numbers are almost spot-on.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

5 lb 11 oz Maris Otter
1 lb 5 oz Vienna
13 oz Biscuit
1.5 lb Crystal 60
3 oz Special B
5 oz Flaked Wheat

60 oz canned pumpkin, baked then added to mash
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Plus in the no-chill cube

3/4 oz Tettnang 4.7% AA, 40 min (adjusted for No-Chill - with chilling, 60 min)
2 packs Nottingham

Mash: 8.5 gallons @ 158 F for 75 min
Mash-out: 170 F for 15 min
Boil: 90 min

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.9%

My biggest concern was that fermentation temps were a little high, resulting in fruity flavors. Next time I might mash a little lower (156 F), ferment cooler.

On-Deck: Pumpkin Saison

Primary: Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #1240
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
And so I properly disclaim myself and respond to MMJfan, I brewed it BIAB. If you don't put the pumpkin in the bag (i.e. the mash for the BIAB method) it's a piece of cake. Or in this case pie. Pumpkin pie to be exact. Thank you...I'll be here all night...
I added the pumpkin to the bag and found that it nearly dissolved in the mash water. I didn't really have a lot more trub than any other beer.

On-Deck: Pumpkin Saison

Primary: Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Quick Reply