Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #1191
BrettV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Finally adding the pumpkin pie spice today after letting it sit in the secondary for well over a month. I had gotten a crazy high OG, which I believe to be wrong somehow, and to be safe I let it sit longer than it needed. FG is 1.014, but I'm assuming my OG of 1.089 was impossibly high and therefore I have no idea what the alcohol content of the beer is, nor do I care too much. All I know is that even before I added the spices it tasted awesome. Rich, malty, and complex; akin almost to an Oktoberfest style lager. The day I racked it to the secondary it was extremely bland, so time has been very kind to this beer. Cannot wait to see how this turns out once it has been spiced, bottled, and carbed!

Primary: Big Bear IPA, Petits Jour de Chien Saison
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale, Little Bear Kolsch
Planning: RyePA, Nutella Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #1192
silverbullet07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I racked to my secondary tonight and added my spices. It smells amazing.
It has been a week in primary and I took a gravity reading after racking it. It is at 1.022 right now. Will there be enough yeast left to finish it?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #1193
JBJB
Recipes 

So i'm doing a PM pumpkin ale recipe based off of this one, and I had a question about the spices (as many have).

I plan on just adding between 1-1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the priming solution before bottling. As soon as I have brought the priming solution to a boil, I plan on removing it from the heat and then adding the spices to steep for 10-15 minutes. Will this be a problem? (both flavor and sanitation-wise?)

Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #1194
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJB View Post
So i'm doing a PM pumpkin ale recipe based off of this one, and I had a question about the spices (as many have).

I plan on just adding between 1-1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the priming solution before bottling. As soon as I have brought the priming solution to a boil, I plan on removing it from the heat and then adding the spices to steep for 10-15 minutes. Will this be a problem? (both flavor and sanitation-wise?)
That is kinda what I did the second time I tried my spice tea.... So I didn't feel like using a pot so I just pour 4 ounces or so of water into a pint mason jar with my tsp of spice and brought it to a boil in the microwave with saran wrap over it. Well, bringing the water to a boil would not have been a problem, but adding those spices? huge boil over mess in the microwave! At least it smelled good. Second time around I boiled the water in the microwave and took it out and then add the spices. This sanitized everything and I let it sit and cool down. Added that mixture to the keg

Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #1195
deggenbe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Awesome recipe Yuri. this tastes fabulous!
(i used 1 Tbs of Pumpkin spice mix and 1 Tsp of Cinnamon with it near the end of the boil.)

Clearing - Misc IIPA 7C's/Simcoe
Primary - Skeeter Piss
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Member
https://sites.google.com/site/sonsoflibertyhomebrewclub/

Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #1196
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Just kegged this beer over the weekend. I added 1 tsp of Cinnamon Plus Clone at the end of the boil. Then mixed 1/2 tsp with vodka for a week and added the mixture to the secondary vessel before racking onto it. After a few days, it was cold crashed for a week before it was kegged. Ended at 1.019. The spices are very subtle, the beer is very smooth, clean and unless my mind is playing tricks, I can pick up the pumpkin as it gives the beer a certain roundness, almost like it "completes" it. Certainly a good tasting beer. Only brewed 5 gal, wishing I had done 10. I'll let it sit on the gas and plan to tap it in time for Halloween.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #1197
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used 1.5tsp of spice at bottling time. no regrets! smells like a fresh batch of a local craft brew pumpkin spice. I believe that spice at bottling is the way to go.

Ours ended up at 1.048 so it's a light beer, but it has excellent mouthfeel and body. I think that's the pumpkin coming through, in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #1198
JBJB
Recipes 

haha i think i'll skip the microwave and just deal with boiling in a pot. i want a moderate spice aroma and flavor and i brewed 4 gallons with an OG of 1.061, so i'm thinking i'll add 1.5 tsp to the priming solution after it has boiled and let it steep.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #1199
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is anyone finding this beer is finishing on the high end of the Fg? i just racked on to my spices and was a little surprised at the gravity reading. I got good efficiency(1.066), but it seems to have stopped at about 1.025. I added the pumpkin to the mash and did a standard 60 min boil, I've just never had one finish this high before. I used a pack of S-04, and also some Bell's that I had washed the night before( I like the Bell's profile). Fermented the first week at 62, then pulled it out of the chamber and have had it at 68 for about 2 weeks.

It tastes good, and there are no signs of any off flavors, so I'll just let it on the the spice "dry hop" for a week and keg her on up. Just didn't know if mashing and boiling the pumpkin added un-fermentables that would keep the Fg on the high side.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1200
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Is anyone finding this beer is finishing on the high end of the Fg?
Yes, mine went from 1.056 to 1.019 using S04 at 68F. I don't know if the pumpkin contributes any unfermentables. I think the high mashing temperature accounts for the high FG. I mashed at 158F.

Quick Reply