Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #1181
bradford0113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderduck View Post
I have the extract version of this recipe ready to bottle, I used 1oz tettnanger instead of the EKG but otherwise stuck to the recipe. It tastes great but I'm concerned that it may be a little dry, FG is 1.008. Would adding some lactose or another nonfermenting sugar be a good move? If so, how much?
I bottled mine about 3 weeks ago and I felt the same way with my FG at 1.010. I boiled 8oz of lactose with the priming sugar and added to my bottling bucket before racking. I think it sweetened it up just a tad, but it wasn't a significantly noticeable difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #1182
novaraz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I brewed a partial mash version of this beer about a month ago. It was in the primary for 3 weeks, then kegged and spiced a week ago. Pulled a sample last night, and while still not fully carbed, it tasted wonderful. Probably the best beer we've made so far, and exactly how I like a pumpkin ale to taste. Thanks Yuri_Rage!!
My recipe and notes are below, if anyone is interested.

Partial Mash (BIAB stovetop, ~2 gallons, mashed at 158F):
3 lb US 2-row
1 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Biscuit
4 oz Flaked Wheat
4x 15oz cans of Libby's Pumpkin puree, roasted at 350 for about an hour, and cooled to mash temp

6 lb Pale LME
1 oz US Golding, 60 minutes
4 gallon boil, topped off to 6 gallons in the fermentor. OG was 1.055. Pitched 1 packet of SafAle S04, fermented in swamp cooler kept near 65F. FG was 1.018. Made spice tea with 1 cup of boiled water and 1 tsp of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie spices, added directly to the keg. Perfect spice level: nice cinnamon aroma, and clean, balanced taste.

Notes: Used paint mixing bags to keep grains/pumpkin separate. The pumpkin adsorbed nearly all of the wort, so we squeezed out as much as we could. The sweet wort definitely tasted of pumpkin (i.e. squash flavor), but it mellowed during fermentation.

"Because we have hands we brew BEER"

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #1183
Dutch218
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed this a month an a half ago and started drinking it yesterday. At first I was disappointed b/c the pumpkin pie didn't punch me in the face. Then I had a DFH and Brooklyn pumpkin and realized mine is better. Now I think this may be the best pumpkin I have had and I have had a lot. Looking forward to making this one again

Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #1184
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just got done bottling and cleaning up. Hydro sample was crystal clear and tasted phenomenal, only disappointment was the amount of bottles. Damn you pumpkin for making me such a delicious beer and in turn stealing a case of beer from me. Seriously though I can't wait until this is carb'd, this will be made again.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1185
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know Yuri has stated that he likes to serve this fresh, but I tasted a bottle I had leftover from last year. The pumpkin flavor had diminished a bit, as had some of the spice, but it was still a very nice beer. So glad I still have about half a case!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #1186
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch218 View Post
I brewed this a month an a half ago and started drinking it yesterday. At first I was disappointed b/c the pumpkin pie didn't punch me in the face. Then I had a DFH and Brooklyn pumpkin and realized mine is better. Now I think this may be the best pumpkin I have had and I have had a lot. Looking forward to making this one again
I totally agree Dutch! I'm very picky about my pumpkin ales. DFH is one I like as well as New Holland's Ichabod Pumpkin Ale and Thirsty Dog's Pumpkin Ale. That said, I don't think they can beat this recipe that Yuri developed!

And I just brewed batch #2 of this last night as I'm already down to under a case of batch #1!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #1187
brewdude25
Recipes 

I am looking forward to my third year in a row of this bad boy. I tweak it a little bit each year but it was always a huge success.

To brew or not to brew... That is the question.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #1188
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Cranking this puppy tomorrow.....brewed it last year and my son and his buds destroyed it. I had maybe 4 pints out of the keg. Not changing a thing on the recipe.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #1189
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturie View Post
Cranking this puppy tomorrow.....brewed it last year and my son and his buds destroyed it. I had maybe 4 pints out of the keg. Not changing a thing on the recipe.
You might need to change where you keep this keg...so you get more than 4 pints

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #1190
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Had our annual field party last night, this was a big hit. Even to the non beer drinkers! It was actually the only homebrew drank, my others were barely touched. Guess I really need to brew that second batch now!

Quick Reply