Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #1151
BadBeagleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

what was your sg, yeast used, did you do extract or ag, mash temps ferment temps. You know all the usual questions but in general yeast are living things that will surprise the sh#% out of you given the chance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #1152
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i made an extract. 6 lbs of DME, steeped the grains and flaked wheat at 155 - 160 degrees for half an hour. didn't take a gravity reading (I never do, until today when I ran into this problem.) I rehydrated and used Safale US-05. I don't have a temperature strip on the fermenter but it's in the basement so i figure it was at a pretty steady 65ish degrees.

but 1.008 is REALLY low, right? And I put in a TON of pumpkin. I figured that would have driven up the gravity like mad. If it remains the same gravity tomorrow I'll just rack it and add the vanilla and another round of spice tea. It tastes good! Just never seen the "krausen" linger for this long before. I'm starting to think that it was only the pumpkin floating on the surface.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #1153
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds good to me although the pumpkin will not really add any gravity points (not much for fermentables there). Start taking initial readings so you have a starting point for comparison. My sg was 1.068 fg was 1.018, so an attenuation of about 70% which is average /low for s-04. I've heard of people getting 90-100% attenuation with it so yeah yeast will surprise you. Cheers

Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #1154
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I think I need help with my pumpkin ale. That stuff I thought was Krasuen was clearly only pumpkin matter. As you can see, there is no typical "krausen stain" on the walls of my fermenting bucket. gravity is reading 1.008. did I even get a fermentation???? maybe the yeasts were not viable. Although, it was bubbling away happily for about 3 or 4 days after a slow start. (began bubbling on the 2nd day) should I re-pitch yeast?

Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #1155
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto
OK, I think I need help with my pumpkin ale. That stuff I thought was Krasuen was clearly only pumpkin matter. As you can see, there is no typical "krausen stain" on the walls of my fermenting bucket. gravity is reading 1.008. did I even get a fermentation???? maybe the yeasts were not viable. Although, it was bubbling away happily for about 3 or 4 days after a slow start. (began bubbling on the 2nd day) should I re-pitch yeast?
I had very little krausen stain on my carboy too. Does it smell like beer/fermentation? You should be able to smell the alcohol. Also, what was your OG? If it dropped, I would assume you had fermentation.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #1156
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

didn't check an OG. Yes, it definitely smells like a normal fermentation. I got a whiff of that offensive sharp smell as soon as I took the lid off.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #1157
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts

I'd say you are good to go. Take a sample and taste it.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #1158
mesa4234
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed up an extract today. I threw in the spices with 5 minutes to go in the boil, so we will see how that turns out. The OG was a little lower than expected at 1.050, but everything seems fine. I am looking forward to watching this thing brew!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #1159
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oh, it tastes wonderful! i added two vanilla beans in secondary. thanks for the reassurance i am less worried than i was this morning.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1160
Brewskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A couple of questions.... please forgive me if this has already been asked, I don't want to go through all 116 pages....

Is there a partial mash version, or can someone attempt to convert it to partial mash? I have a new 3 gallon mini mash tun I've been dying to try out.

I was considering adding 2 vanilla beans to primary and letting it sit for the last week before kegging. I'm also considering throwing a half pound of lactose into the keg just to give it a little bit of sweetness and mouthfeel. Anybody have experience adding these two ingredients to this recipe? I definitely want it to be noticeably sweet, but not cloyingly so. Just a subtle sweetness to give it that "pumpkin pie in a glass" taste that I've found lacking in my previous recipes for pumpkin ale.

Thanks.

Quick Reply