Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #1141
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

BTW, I'm brewing round two of this over the weekend!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1142
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymk View Post
I'm sorry if this question has been asked already. It probably has since there's so many pages to browse through. But I'm wondering about the size of the batch being 6 gallons.. I have 6.5 gallon fermenter buckets and I'm sure that only .5 gallons will not be enough to handle a vigorous fermentation. I have experience with a Tripel overflowing my fermenter and it was not fun. Since it's a bucket I can't really install a blowoff tube either, nor do I want to lose a lot of krausen.

Any way I can modify this recipe slightly to allow more fermenting room to say.. 5.5 gal? Or perhaps ferment a more concentrated beer and dilute in secondary? I highly doubt the latter option is a good idea. This recipe looks amazing but the 6 gallon part is holding me back. What to do
You should get yourself a vial of Fermcap. It costs $2, and will keep your fermentation under control, as well as prevent boil-overs. It has no side affects to your beer, so is a no-brainer for me.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermcap-s-1-oz.html

Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #1143
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymk
I'm sorry if this question has been asked already. It probably has since there's so many pages to browse through. But I'm wondering about the size of the batch being 6 gallons.. I have 6.5 gallon fermenter buckets and I'm sure that only .5 gallons will not be enough to handle a vigorous fermentation. I have experience with a Tripel overflowing my fermenter and it was not fun. Since it's a bucket I can't really install a blowoff tube either, nor do I want to lose a lot of krausen.

Any way I can modify this recipe slightly to allow more fermenting room to say.. 5.5 gal? Or perhaps ferment a more concentrated beer and dilute in secondary? I highly doubt the latter option is a good idea. This recipe looks amazing but the 6 gallon part is holding me back. What to do
Alternatively, cool the beer before racking to the fermenter and let some tribe settle out beforehand over say an hour once cooled (covered of course). I've done this before and racked it just like you would off a yeast bed, only a little higher to avoid disturbing the loose trub bed, say starting halfway up the boil pot for my transfer. As long as the yeast is ready to go and gets a quick start, no problems. And the us-04 always gets a quick start for me. I would personally sacrifice a little beer and just make it stronger at the smaller batch size.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #1144
mesa4234
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How much yeast did you all us for a 6 gallon batch? I have one vial..Should I get some more?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #1145
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Make a starter, typically in dry yeast packets there is enough yeast for your 5-6 gal batch. For liquid yeast (your vial) you will prob need to make a starter to get the appropriate amount of yeast for your batch.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1146
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa4234 View Post
How much yeast did you all us for a 6 gallon batch? I have one vial..Should I get some more?
I used one Wyeast Smack Pack for mine and that did the trick...

Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #1147
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa4234
1 vial or smack pack should be perfect for gravities less than 1.060. I have done up to 1.090 with some yeasts before out of 1 vial with no problems and no starters. I would do it with a starter now though...

Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #1148
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default still krasuen after two weeks???

Hi,

So I just fermented this for two weeks in primary, opened up the bucket and there is still (what appears to be) a krausen over the entire top of the brew. When I made it, I racked it out of the brew pot, but there was still significant amount of solids getting into the bucket. Is this a real krausen or just the lighter solids (pumpkin?) floating on top. Thinking about giving it another week.

I didn't use a yeast starter. I used a packet of rehydrated dry yeast. Fermentation didn't begin to get vigorous until the 2nd day.

Please advise!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1149
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

If hydrometer reading is stable for 2-3 days than it is done fermenting, rack away.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #1150
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is this even possible???! Must have messed something up

Quick Reply