Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #1131
RussH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this a few weeks back at a club group brew day. Started out with about 1/2 lb of rice hulls and 1.25Qt per lb. About 15 min after starting to recirc, it jammed up. I added another 1.5lbs of rice hulls, and maybe another gallon of water, and the rest of the brew went smoothly. Pitched Denny's favorite 50.

Kegged it last friday with 1 tsp of the homemade "cinnamon plus" that is mentioned in this thread. I steeped it for 15 minutes, then poured the whole thing into the keg. The spice blend had turned into a gooey paste, but I dumped it in anyway. it settled to the bottom of the keg, and gummed up the dip tube for a second, but I was able to work it out.

Tasted it last night, and WOW. I was looking for "pumpkin pie in a glass" and that is what I got. It is delicious. There is a nice amount of spice on the nose, the beer tastes great, with subtle spice, and a very clean aftertaste. Fantastic. The beer is very clear, and even if it sits, it doesn't get any sediment, but the head has some nice little flecks of spice in it, giving a very nice visual effect.

Thanks for sharing Yuri!

My HERM electric build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/mas...rewery-266056/

Slyko Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #1132
tonyandkory
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ooops.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #1133
mesa4234
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I plan on starting this brew this weekend. I noticed the extract recipe calls for 6 gallons. I only currently have a 6.5 gallon fermentor. Can I ferment 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket?

Also, instead of adding the pumpkin to the boil, I was thinking of steeping it with the grains in an attempt to reduce the amount of trub. This seems like a common way to incorporate the pumpkin, should there be any issues?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #1134
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just threw the pumpkin in with the boil if you used the can stuff, your grain bag will do next to nothing in keeping the pumpkin out of the pot. Unless you are using a mash tun than I stand corrected throw in the rice hulls and mash with the pumpkin. As for your fermentor 6.5 is big enough just throw on a blow off tube this beer fermented like crazy.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #1135
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I"m gona brew this Sunday (AG). Has anyone tried 1/2 tsp spice at flame out, then 1/2 tsp at secondary? I'm thinking best of both worlds. Infusing the wort while hot with the spice, then a little kick at secondary.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #1136
mesa4234
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For a 6 gallon final, should I do a 3 gallon boil, or should I try a bit more?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #1137
PowderHoundMJ
Recipes 

Always boil bigger if you can swing it

On Deck: ??? ideas?
Primary: Milk Stout,
Secondary: British IPA, American IPA
Bottled: Chili Gold
Drinking: Odell IPA Clone, Bee Hive Rye IPA, Homegrown HighPA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout Experiment,

Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #1138
Tymk
Recipes 

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already. It probably has since there's so many pages to browse through. But I'm wondering about the size of the batch being 6 gallons.. I have 6.5 gallon fermenter buckets and I'm sure that only .5 gallons will not be enough to handle a vigorous fermentation. I have experience with a Tripel overflowing my fermenter and it was not fun. Since it's a bucket I can't really install a blowoff tube either, nor do I want to lose a lot of krausen.

Any way I can modify this recipe slightly to allow more fermenting room to say.. 5.5 gal? Or perhaps ferment a more concentrated beer and dilute in secondary? I highly doubt the latter option is a good idea. This recipe looks amazing but the 6 gallon part is holding me back. What to do

Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #1139
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

You're going to end up having about a gallon of trub if you don't filter your wort when racking it to your fermentor. I had no problems racking 6 gallons to my 6.5 gal. fermenting bucket so I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, wrt a blowoff tube, I just put a tube over my air lock valve for a blow-off tube in my bucket.

Also, fwiw, mine didn't overflow...

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #1140
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Also, fwiw, mine didn't overflow...
I too had 6 gallons in my bucket and did not have any blow off. I used S-04 yeast and maintained the temp at 63F. Primary fermentation was DONE within 48 hours with no blow off at all. I think the low temp is the key. I always start off with a blow off tube. I just push a piece of racking tubing right through the grommet in the bucket lid and that's always worked out for me.

Quick Reply