Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #1091
hoppylittleguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed 10 gal of this last week using just about the same amounts as I posted on the last page, just switched some of the ingredients. I used 1.5 lbs cara-red instead of biscuit, and two pounds of 45L instead of 3.5 lbs 60L. The wort tasted great going into the kettle, but after it was hopped (1.5 oz EKG at 60) and chilled, it tasted a bit bitter. I'm sure it will mellow out. I'll post the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #1092
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Bottles have conditioned and we have carbonation! All I can say is this is, quite possibly, the best pumpkin ale I've ever had! And the fact that I made it makes it taste all that much better!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #1093
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Bottles have conditioned and we have carbonation! All I can say is this is, quite possibly, the best pumpkin ale I've ever had! And the fact that I made it makes it taste all that much better!!!
I can't remember if you had already posted this earlier in this thread, but did you follow the recipe and only add a 1tsp spice tea during secondary? I'm preparing to bottle in the next couple of days and am wondering if it might need some more spice because it didn't seem like enough right after the transfer. It may be more prominent though now that a couple more weeks have gone by.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #1094
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I did follow the recipe, but I added my spice tea to my bottling bucket along with the priming sugar solution when I racked it from my carboy. I had spread some pumpkin pie spices over my canned pumpkin along with some brown sugar when I baked it but I'm not sure how much flavor that added to the brew.

The spice flavors really came out in mine with just the 1 tsp of Cinnamon Plus. I would start with 1 tsp of spices and then, if you feel it's not flavorful enough, you could always add more to suit your tastes...

Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #1095
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I would start with 1 tsp of spices and then, if you feel it's not flavorful enough, you could always add more to suit your tastes...
That's the plan! I already added my tea at transfer to secondary. I'll do a taste test and add more at bottling if necessary, but I didn't know if the flavors could come out even more after bottling. Don't want to add too much.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #1096
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113

That's the plan! I already added my tea at transfer to secondary. I'll do a taste test and add more at bottling if necessary, but I didn't know if the flavors could come out even more after bottling. Don't want to add too much.
I did the same thing. But I added 1.5tsp in secondary. I will taste at bottling time and see how it is. From what I've read it will likely be ok. But I can always add more uf I need to.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #1097
epanknin
Recipes 

Any thoughts on the proper carb vol using corn sugar? I still bottle and wanted to get some feedback on carbonation. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #1098
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
Just did a taste test to plan for bottling this weekend. The spice flavor is definitely there, but I thought it would be a little stronger. However, my wife thinks it's just right so I'm gonna leave it as is.

My final gravity ended up at 1.010 and it's a little dryer than I wanted. Any opinions on adding about 8oz of lactose at bottling for this?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #1099
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

sounds good. when do you add the flaked wheat? should I steep it with the other grains?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #1100
Tbnguy
Recipes 

Ok still somewhat new to brewing but am trying this recipe today. Should I add all the DME in at the beginning, or is it better to start with half, and do the other half in the last 10 min. of the boil?

Bottled: Yooper's Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA clone
Brewers Best Belgian Wit

Primary: Northern Brewer's American Wheat

Quick Reply