Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #1061
ajohnson153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya
I really wish I would have practiced patience when I made this batch last year. I drank most of it before it was ready. I found a bottle of it last week (so if had aged for close to 8-9 months), and it tasted great.

I would like to get a batch going now and let it sit until the holidays.
Since you have experience with a well aged version of this, does the spice flavor fade over time.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #1062
hoppylittleguy
Recipes 

I plan on brewing this one tomorrow for my first pumpkin! I scaled it down to 10 gallons and got something along the lines of:
14 pounds pale
3.5 pounds 60L
1.5 pounds Biscuit
1.5 oz EKG
8 15oz canned pumpkin
2 Whirlfloc
Anyone think that sounds about right? for some reason 3.5 pounds 60L sounds like alot.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #1063
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153

Since you have experience with a well aged version of this, does the spice flavor fade over time.
Mine did, but it mellowed into a tasty beer. I also misread the original recipe, and used the same ingredients for a "5 gals going into the fermenter" batch. Maybe mine mellowed into what it is supposed to taste like to begin with.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #1064
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
Mine did, but it mellowed into a tasty beer. I also misread the original recipe, and used the same ingredients for a "5 gals going into the fermenter" batch. Maybe mine mellowed into what it is supposed to taste like to begin with.
So you used the same recipe that says it is for a 6 gallons going into the fermenter batch for a 5 gallons going into the fermenter batch? So if I brew it as posted I will probably bump up the spices just a tad.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #1065
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would recommend going by the recipe as far as your spice additions go. Especially if you are adding them during secondary. You can always add more to taste at bottling if you feel it isn't spicey enough. But if you add too much, you can't reverse what you did to make it less spicey...

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #1066
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
I would recommend going by the recipe as far as your spice additions go. Especially if you are adding them during secondary. You can always add more to taste at bottling if you feel it isn't spicey enough. But if you add too much, you can't reverse what you did to make it less spicey...
Fair enough, I'm also going to get some spice from aging on spiced rum soaked oak chips.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1067
clydo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I bottled this last weekend and got to try a bit. When I read this described as pumpkin pie in a bottle, I thought yea pretty common description for this type of beer. It'll probably be a pumpkin spiced brown or something. But man, right down to the awesome mouthfeel, this is like taking a bite of pumpkin pie. Can't wait for next weekend so I can finally pop a couple carbed bottles. It is Awesome!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #1068
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydo View Post
I bottled this last weekend and got to try a bit. When I read this described as pumpkin pie in a bottle, I thought yea pretty common description for this type of beer. It'll probably be a pumpkin spiced brown or something. But man, right down to the awesome mouthfeel, this is like taking a bite of pumpkin pie. Can't wait for next weekend so I can finally pop a couple carbed bottles. It is Awesome!
Pretty much sums up how I feel about this beer as well!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #1069
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153

So you used the same recipe that says it is for a 6 gallons going into the fermenter batch for a 5 gallons going into the fermenter batch? So if I brew it as posted I will probably bump up the spices just a tad.
Yeah, I misread The recipe. I used the spice and pumpkin amount for the original recipe, but only had 5 gals going into the carboy. So the pumpkin pie flavor was a lot more prevalent. When I make it again I'll actually go by the recipe.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #1070
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydo View Post
I tried some of my sample as well at bottling. Ive never had a good experience with samples. My pumpkin tasted actually kind of bitter, and I didn't get any spice until more of an after taste.

My carbed/fridges beers always taste better than my samples, but I'm always getting a more bitter taste with my samples than the bottled version turns out to be.

No idea why.

I hope my batch turns out well. I wasnt entirely blown away by my sample... Everything was dead on just about (1.051 to 1.014), boil was right on, hops. But like I said, my samples are always more bitter for some reason

Quick Reply