Originally Posted by bradford0113
Brewed the extract version over the weekend following the recipe exactly as written. After topping off the fermentor to 5.5 gallons, I took a gravity reading and was right at 1.050. I was expecting it to be higher so I did not continue adding to the 6 gallon mark as the recipe recommended. What are other people getting for OG for extract and at what volumes?
Also, after 48 hours I had no more signs of fermentation going on. After 72 hours, I took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.012. I'm guessing it's still possible for this to drop another point or two before it's completely done. Is this going to be too dry? I was hoping for a little sweetness and am wondering if I should get some lactose to have on hand for when I transfer to my "clearing vessel." I could potentially add a little at a time until I get the sweetness I'm looking for. Right now, I can't really tell how it's going to taste because there are several off-flavors that still need to be cleaned up by letting sit longer.
I fermented with rehydrated S-04 dry yeast at a temp of 63F. I can't believe how fast and clean this fermented out. I was expecting a lot of blow-off like I had on my last couple of batches, but this one went so fast (1.050 to 1.012 within 48 hours) without leaving any residue or anything on the sides or lid of the bucket!