Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Multiple - Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #1011
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an extra ounce of Cluster (7% AA). Would substituting it for Kent Goldings make much of a difference? Just thinking that a spiced ale shouldn't be hop forward and Cluster is a very neutral hop. Using it as the only bittering addition shouldn't affect the flavor too much. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #1012
chairbornrangerx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I just brewed this over this past weekend. 10 hours total time... man the mash/sparge was a huge PITA... It just kept getting stuck and/or was draining immensely slow.

If I ever do this pumpkin batch again, I might just aim for the extract to save my sanity and time.

Pitched the yeast dry after racking 10 gallons into two 6.5 gal carboys, and had the fiancee run into the yard in her bath robe while I was mowing the next morning to get me back into the house... darn fermentation was going gangbusters and blew the cap's right off the airlock. Re-sanitized and put back on. After 36 hours it was calm enough to stop blowing the caps off the airlocks. Now I have a bit of beer to clean off the floor AND the ceiling.

Primary: Oktoberfest, Oberon Clone
secondary: none
Bottled: Honey Weizen, Dark Wheat, Porter, Face Puncher IPA, Hard Cider, Zombie Dust Clone, Double Chocolate Stout

seandamnit Likes This 
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #1013
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed the extract version over the weekend following the recipe exactly as written. After topping off the fermentor to 5.5 gallons, I took a gravity reading and was right at 1.050. I was expecting it to be higher so I did not continue adding to the 6 gallon mark as the recipe recommended. What are other people getting for OG for extract and at what volumes?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #1014
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I had OG at 1.060 but I did a full 6.5-7 gal boil and I was at just about 6 gal in the fermenter for primary. Lost about a gallon to trub when transferring to carboy for clearing...

Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #1015
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairbornrangerx
So I just brewed this over this past weekend. 10 hours total time... man the mash/sparge was a huge PITA... It just kept getting stuck and/or was draining immensely slow.

If I ever do this pumpkin batch again, I might just aim for the extract to save my sanity and time.

Pitched the yeast dry after racking 10 gallons into two 6.5 gal carboys, and had the fiancee run into the yard in her bath robe while I was mowing the next morning to get me back into the house... darn fermentation was going gangbusters and blew the cap's right off the airlock. Re-sanitized and put back on. After 36 hours it was calm enough to stop blowing the caps off the airlocks. Now I have a bit of beer to clean off the floor AND the ceiling.
I brewed up a 10 gallon batch Saturday as well. While I mash the BIAB method, I chose to keep the pumpkin out if the mash after seeing how much there were and reading all the stories here. I just threw it all in the fermenter. It all mixed right in so I doubt the bag would have filtered much. I'm not even clear on what mashing the pumpkin does anyways.

So I guess my point is, instead of going straight to extract, consider brewing like normal and just boiling the pumpkin instead.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #1016
yellowjacket151
Recipes 

Any thoughts/experience with using Challenger hops in a Pumpkin Ale?

I've got an ounce in the freezer but don't have a lot of experience with using it. I'm concerned the aroma and bitterness quality might clash with the pumpkin spices.

I'm thinking 1/2 oz first wort and 1/2 oz @ 15 minutes into a Northern English Brown base. BeerSmith estimates 21 IBUs with 0.459 IBU/SG.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #1017
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
Brewed the extract version over the weekend following the recipe exactly as written. After topping off the fermentor to 5.5 gallons, I took a gravity reading and was right at 1.050. I was expecting it to be higher so I did not continue adding to the 6 gallon mark as the recipe recommended. What are other people getting for OG for extract and at what volumes?
Also, after 48 hours I had no more signs of fermentation going on. After 72 hours, I took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.012. I'm guessing it's still possible for this to drop another point or two before it's completely done. Is this going to be too dry? I was hoping for a little sweetness and am wondering if I should get some lactose to have on hand for when I transfer to my "clearing vessel." I could potentially add a little at a time until I get the sweetness I'm looking for. Right now, I can't really tell how it's going to taste because there are several off-flavors that still need to be cleaned up by letting sit longer.

I fermented with rehydrated S-04 dry yeast at a temp of 63F. I can't believe how fast and clean this fermented out. I was expecting a lot of blow-off like I had on my last couple of batches, but this one went so fast (1.050 to 1.012 within 48 hours) without leaving any residue or anything on the sides or lid of the bucket!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #1018
awarner322
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

FWIW...I brewed this earlier this week. 5 gallon all grain batch. I used 1# of rice hulls to improve my extraction and prevent any issues....about half way through (3-4 gallons) my extraction came to a complete stop. I shut it down and stirred it up then pulled a few runs to set the grain bed again...anyway after all that I still hit my gravity

Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #1019
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
Also, after 48 hours I had no more signs of fermentation going on. After 72 hours, I took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.012. I'm guessing it's still possible for this to drop another point or two before it's completely done. Is this going to be too dry? I was hoping for a little sweetness and am wondering if I should get some lactose to have on hand for when I transfer to my "clearing vessel." I could potentially add a little at a time until I get the sweetness I'm looking for. Right now, I can't really tell how it's going to taste because there are several off-flavors that still need to be cleaned up by letting sit longer.

I fermented with rehydrated S-04 dry yeast at a temp of 63F. I can't believe how fast and clean this fermented out. I was expecting a lot of blow-off like I had on my last couple of batches, but this one went so fast (1.050 to 1.012 within 48 hours) without leaving any residue or anything on the sides or lid of the bucket!
Did you already add your spices? I think a lot of the sweetness and flavors actually come when you add your spices. I had spread some pumpkin pie spice as well as a layer of brown sugar on top of my pumpkin while it was baking so that gave the wort some nice flavors. I haven't touched the brew since I picthed the yeast in my fermenting bucket over 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on adding a spice tea made with Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus when I rack to my bottling bucket next week.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1020
bradford0113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Did you already add your spices? I think a lot of the sweetness and flavors actually come when you add your spices. I had spread some pumpkin pie spice as well as a layer of brown sugar on top of my pumpkin while it was baking so that gave the wort some nice flavors. I haven't touched the brew since I picthed the yeast in my fermenting bucket over 2 weeks ago. I'm planning on adding a spice tea made with Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus when I rack to my bottling bucket next week.
Haven't added any spices yet. I was planning to primary for one week, add the spice tea upon transfer to secondary, then secondary for two weeks. I was looking to see if anyone had experienced dryness at this FG (1.012-1.010). I don't plan to add anything unless it seems dry on bottling day. I just want to be prepared (possibly with lactose) if I feel it needs sweetened up at that time.

Quick Reply