Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Summer/Winter Solstice Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #61
bkasten12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sorry to revive an old thread.
I made this recpie a couple months ago and it turned out perfectly. It was a huge hit so I decided to make it again.

I made this last night and my OG was way low. I only ended up at 1.030. I am worried that it will taste watered down and it will be way to week. Does anyone have an opinion on me taking a half gallon and steeping some of the Crystal 40 and 80 grains, then adding 2 pound of light DME, boil it, cool it and add it into my primary to help get my gravity ratings more inline with what it should be?

Thanks

Primary: Innis & Gunn Rum Cask ale, Chocolate PB stout
Secondary: N/a
Kegged: Vanilla Cream Ale, Red Ale
Bottled: Imperial Stout
Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OP, are you sure you got those recipes right? Vanilla in the summer version? Seems to me it'd be in the winter one, wouldn't it?

Are they backwards?

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #63
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Big ol' bump here, but I'm serving this now, and I thought I'd give some notes. This is Winter Solstice by the way, if you can't tell by the frozen fingertips I'm typing this with.

So the rumor the distributor for AVBC only took in so much stock for Winter Solstice, and Total Wine scooped up most of the stock, leaving my local small business shops out of luck for this beer! Now I have to brew my favorite winter beer like some peasant! I used S-04 because I had some to rack onto, and I think it did OK. I think it isn't as multi-dimensional as AVBC's special yeast, but for imitation, it's really, really close. If I had coordinated this better I would have used 002.

Anyways, used two vanilla beans, cut down the middle, chopped, and soaked in 2oz white rum. Let that sit for four days and dumped the "vanilla extract" (hey, technically that's what it is!) into the keg with the finished beer. When I sampled the beer going into the keg (that is, without the vanilla added), sensors in my brain immediately flaired up: "Hey, this is close to what I'm looking for! And there's already hints of vanilla in it!", so I became worried 2 whole beans would have been overkill.

It was. This is a little more intense than the real thing. If I do it again this year, I'll do 1-1.5 beans chopped. But I really, really like the soak in vodka/rum method... way more effective than just dumping in beans in secondary!! I'm really satisfied with this beer, but again, it's a little too gnawing with vanilla intensity, just a warning to tone it down in your own designs.

Great to be drinking this this year!

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #64
Drk93TT
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this recipe all grain 5 gallons couple days ago with 1 more pound of base malt and WLP080 w a yeast starter ... But accidentally added the hops the full 60min boil instead of 15 min Hope it turns out great still ? OG sample was 1.057 and its currently fermenting at 62 degrees with a blow off tube bubbling away last couple days. Will try to keep it there 60-65 degrees range ambient for the next 3 weeks

Maybe a bit more bitter.. Beersmith says ~18IBU vs ~9IBU ... which I doubt would be noticeable any other changes you guys think?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #65
misterdonsheppard
Recipes 

Drinken a lot of AVBC Winter over the past few years, and am a huge fan. I brewed this recipe as recommended in this thread, and really it wasn't very close. The base was there with the crystal malts but vanilla extract gave it a cream soda taste, and no berry taste to be found.

One thing I think that is overlooked is the fermentation temp. Agree that CA lager 2112 is what to go with, but if you ferment this yeast at a high temp like 68-70* the yeast gives off a nice berry smell and taste. I'd push it as warm as it'll ferment to really get that taste berry taste of AVBC Winter.

Finally, the 3/4 tbsp of vanilla extract to the keg I used was not right for a clone of this beer. I think, as mentioned by others, 1 vanilla bean is the way to go.

The base to the recipe in this thread is there. It just needs to be dialed up b/c it'd be great to have AVBC Winter on tap all year round!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #66
bkasten12
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I love this recipe and have brewed it 3 times with great success. I would like to explore making this beer much hoppier, thinking somewhere around 50 IBU's. What hops would you add? Would you just add more NB for a full boil or would you use something like Citra or Galaxy? Let me know what you think

Primary: Innis & Gunn Rum Cask ale, Chocolate PB stout
Secondary: N/a
Kegged: Vanilla Cream Ale, Red Ale
Bottled: Imperial Stout
Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, IPA

Quick Reply