Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Summer/Winter Solstice Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #51
g-star
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever View Post
So I'm brewing this recipe this Saturday, and when I went to my brew shop, they were all out of the California Lager yeast! They didn't even have the white labs equivalent. SO, since this beer IS a cream ale, I just got white labs WLP080 - Cream Ale Blend. Do you think this will substantially change the flavor of the beer? I think it might work well, actually, but I am still a novice at this whole thing.
I recently listened to the CYBI show for the Anderson Valley Boont Amber, and the brewer from AV spoke extensively about the house yeast, which is derived from an English strain. It got me thinking about this clone, and if that distinctive taste (some describe as blueberry pancake) in this beer and the amber is coming from the yeast and associated esters.

I've brewed the Winter Solstice twice based on this recipe using S-05 fermented cool and WLP810 at 60F. I thought it came out very well and was close, but fell short of cloned, mostly due to it lacking that signature flavor. As the yeast is a mutated house strain, it may be impossible to recreate using commercial offerings from WL or Wyeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #52
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wonder if AVBC bottle conditions any of their beers?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #53
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Yes, I realize this an older thread, but I recently had one of these and it got me thinking I need to try and brew one.
I really think there are other spices than just vanilla in this beer, anyone care to hazard a guess what they might be?

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #54
Locus415
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having brewed this and being a big fan of the original by AVBC, I can confirm that the only "spice" addition is vanilla in the Summer version. The hard part to nail is the "crema" part of the "cervesa." A bit higher mash temp or some maltodextrine can help... and good yeast health during fermentation.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #55
brewski1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I plan on brewing this next weekend and was wondering if anybody added vanilla beans to the secondary as opposed to the extract at bottling time? And if so, how many beans did you add to a 5 gallon batch?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #56
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I used 2 beans in 5g of my pumkin beer and the vanilla is very noticeable, so I think you might want less than that.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #57
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmir View Post
I used 2 beans in 5g of my pumkin beer and the vanilla is very noticeable, so I think you might want less than that.
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that, too. Splitting vanilla beans in half is popular, maybe cut one bean and half and start from there.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #58
reverendnathan
Recipes 

On Can You Brew It? for the Boont Amber clone they went with WLP002 / WY1968 Fuller's ESB Ale yeast. Boont's recipe is simple but they all concluded the flavor was complex and the yeast was a good choice. Do you reckon AVBC uses an English Ale yeast for solstice, too? Anyone think they have the know-how to weight in?

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #59
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorry, just responding to this. Ya, I could definitely see this beer fermented with WLP002. The two big flavor components are tons of crystal malt, and the vanilla addition (which you really have to go easy with). The rest is fairly secondary.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #60
oregonianredbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

An earlier poster mentioned possibly using WLP029 kolsch yeast, and I'm considering the same thing. Has anyone tried that with this recipe? I have some extra 029 in the fridge, so I'll report back if I make the brew in the next month or so.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS