Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Scary Balz Pumpkin Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
mgurf1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10
Default


Thanks for the quick reply! Can't wait to brew it!

__________________
mgurf1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #42
jro238
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Memphis
Posts: 534
Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Just a quick update for anyone who is crazy/careless enough to not drink the whole 5 gal of this stuff right away...Popped open a couple bottles from about a year ago that were in the closet and they were still really nice (not too much change from 4-5 months). Nice to see that they didn't mind the age though.

__________________

My GE 7.0 cu.ft. Keezer Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-h...-build-327739/

jro238 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #43
NewlandsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default


Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm new to this and don't want to do a secondary fermentation. Can I add the vanilla when I add the spices at flame out? Should I also be using Irish moss 15 min before flame out?

Thanks

__________________
NewlandsBrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #44
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 563
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlandsBrew View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm new to this and don't want to do a secondary fermentation. Can I add the vanilla when I add the spices at flame out? Should I also be using Irish moss 15 min before flame out?

Thanks

If you bottle it, add the vanilla extract to your bottling bucket and siphon the beer on top of it. Then transfer to bottles.

If you keg it, add the vanilla extract to the keg, then siphon the beer on top of it.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #45
AnCapJake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Hello! Quick question. I am incredibly new to brewing (brewed two batches, both still in fermenters). Both of my previous brews have been extract. I stumbled across this recipe and would really love to give it a go within a couple of weeks so it will be ready late fall.

My question may show my ignorance but I need to ask. If I were to treat this as an extract recipe, what changes might I need to make? Could I just steep the grains before the boil as I would in any extract recipe? My understanding of partial extract recipes is that they typically have a base malt mash in a kettle, but this recipe does not seem to contain any base malt grains. Could I simply skip the mash/sparging and treat this as an extract? Thanks in advance.

__________________
AnCapJake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #46
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 563
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Default


Munich malt technically is a base malt. It needs to be mashed, and has enough diastatic power to convert itself. That is what makes this a mini mash recipe.

You can do the mash the same way you normally steep your grains. The only difference is you need to keep your temp in the 147-160 degree range, and let it sit for 45-60 minutes. You're using such a small amount of grain for fermentables that your temps do not need to be as precise as most mashes for body and mouthfeel. You just need to keep it in range for conversion to take place.

You don't really need the flaked barley in this. The crystal malt used in amber extract, along with the additional pound used in the mini mash, provides plenty of body to the beer. Also at this point I use one pound of canned pumpkin instead of going through all of the trouble of roasting fresh ones. I've noticed no difference whatsoever in flavor, so I don't bother going through the extra trouble.

__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #47
AnCapJake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
Munich malt technically is a base malt. It needs to be mashed, and has enough diastatic power to convert itself. That is what makes this a mini mash recipe.

You can do the mash the same way you normally steep your grains. The only difference is you need to keep your temp in the 147-160 degree range, and let it sit for 45-60 minutes. You're using such a small amount of grain for fermentables that your temps do not need to be as precise as most mashes for body and mouthfeel. You just need to keep it in range for conversion to take place.

You don't really need the flaked barley in this. The crystal malt used in amber extract, along with the additional pound used in the mini mash, provides plenty of body to the beer. Also at this point I use one pound of canned pumpkin instead of going through all of the trouble of roasting fresh ones. I've noticed no difference whatsoever in flavor, so I don't bother going through the extra trouble.
Okay good deal, I appreciate the prompt reply. I think I am going to go ahead and use full pumpkins as my dad is growing pumpkins for the first time this year and is excited about the prospect of them being used in a beer. One more question, is the original recipe a partial or full boil? I can only do partial at this point and I need to know if adjusting for hop utilization is necessary.
__________________
AnCapJake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #48
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue
Posts: 563
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnCapJake View Post

Okay good deal, I appreciate the prompt reply. I think I am going to go ahead and use full pumpkins as my dad is growing pumpkins for the first time this year and is excited about the prospect of them being used in a beer. One more question, is the original recipe a partial or full boil? I can only do partial at this point and I need to know if adjusting for hop utilization is necessary.
I do partial boils. Add half the extract at the beginning of the boil, and the other half at flameout.
__________________
CrookedTail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #49
AnCapJake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Brewed this up today. Had an OG of 1.052. Not sure how that happened. Hopefully a diluted sample but if not I think it will be a good beer nonetheless. I threw a bit more than a tbsp of Mccormicks pumpkin pie spice at flame out and it smells phenomenal.

__________________
AnCapJake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #50
AnCapJake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Tried this today after 2 weeks in the bottles. In all honesty it's just okay to me but my inexperience could very well be the issue. I'm not entirely sure, but I think what I may be tasting is extremely green beer. It's got a flavor I can't put my finger on and a scent that smells off. The spice smell is masked by something else. Is this recipe typically a quick turn around or does it require a bit of aging?

__________________
AnCapJake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale KingBrianI Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 567 05-19-2014 05:50 PM
Extract - H&B Pumpkin Ale mannish Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 10 11-04-2011 06:30 PM
Extract - Butternut Pumpkin Ale jalgayer Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 13 07-25-2011 03:13 PM
All-Grain - Pug Pumpkin Ale Ziggybrew Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 0 10-08-2010 01:32 AM
All-Grain - Pa (Pumpkin Ale) adamjab19 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 1 07-11-2009 07:20 PM