Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Scary Balz Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
jro238
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This brew finally convinced me to create a user name on these forums (which I have been lurking on for quite a while now).

My wife seems to have caught a bit of the homebrew fever and wanted to brew a pumpkin ale (hey, pumpkin can be a spring beer). We 'borrowed' your recipe almost to the letter with one exception--there is no fresh pumpkin in Feb. so we substituted in two 15 oz. cans of pumpkin puree which we still tried to roast in the oven for an hour or two (it worked pretty well). One note to anyone else who wants to try this one: the fermentation (at least for us, ~70 degrees) only lasted for a few days and was never all that vigorous so don't worry too much if you think your yeast pooped out on you. As of today (5 days) we have hit 1.013 on the nose and it tastes pretty damn good (hops a bit sharp but that should mellow with a little time).

We're going to bottle and keg the batch so it'll be interesting to see how the spices differ between the two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBrewmistress View Post
Just a followup.

Had this on Thanksgiving. It was nice, but not great. I was a little let down, and didn't draft more than a few pints.

Well, we finished it off with Christmas dinner and it was a HUGE hit. It was damn good and apparently just needed more time to mature. I'd definitely recommend this recipe and plan to re-brew it a month earlier next year. Next time I'd like to try local sweet potatoes and fresh ground Ceylon or Vietnamese cinnamon.

Thanks again for sharing this recipe!
Glad to hear it!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jro238 View Post
This brew finally convinced me to create a user name on these forums (which I have been lurking on for quite a while now).

My wife seems to have caught a bit of the homebrew fever and wanted to brew a pumpkin ale (hey, pumpkin can be a spring beer). We 'borrowed' your recipe almost to the letter with one exception--there is no fresh pumpkin in Feb. so we substituted in two 15 oz. cans of pumpkin puree which we still tried to roast in the oven for an hour or two (it worked pretty well). One note to anyone else who wants to try this one: the fermentation (at least for us, ~70 degrees) only lasted for a few days and was never all that vigorous so don't worry too much if you think your yeast pooped out on you. As of today (5 days) we have hit 1.013 on the nose and it tastes pretty damn good (hops a bit sharp but that should mellow with a little time).

We're going to bottle and keg the batch so it'll be interesting to see how the spices differ between the two.
In the past I've noticed the bottled version seems to retain more of the spice aromas.

As for canned pumpkins, they work fine. This past Fall I used canned pumpkin in place of fresh ones in one of my batches. The beer came out fine.

It's funny that this thread came up, and you mentioned pumpkin being a spring beer. After using canned pumpkins successfully, once Thanksgiving passed my local supermarket put whatever leftover canned pumpkin they had on sale. I bought enough of them up to brew a batch for the Spring.

I think it's time.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
jro238
Recipes 

So the kegging setup isn't quite...well set up yet so we just bottled the batch (a month or so ago). It tastes great but unfortunately I overfileld the bottles and they are carbing *really* slowly. The spice level is nice and I love the medium hop flavor to give it some balance (SWMBO thinks it's a little too hoppy, but she isn't a big fan of hops in the first place so take it with a grain of salt). Overall I think it is saying something that the beer tastes great even though it's half flat .

Thanks again for the great recipe!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jro238
So the kegging setup isn't quite...well set up yet so we just bottled the batch (a month or so ago). It tastes great but unfortunately I overfileld the bottles and they are carbing *really* slowly. The spice level is nice and I love the medium hop flavor to give it some balance (SWMBO thinks it's a little too hoppy, but she isn't a big fan of hops in the first place so take it with a grain of salt). Overall I think it is saying something that the beer tastes great even though it's half flat .

Thanks again for the great recipe!
Strange I've never thought this to be overhopped (and I'm not a huge hophead either). If anything they will mellow out in a few weeks.

I'm glad you like the recipe. It's a PITA to brew, but the end result is always worth it! Cheers!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
jro238
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
Strange I've never thought this to be overhopped (and I'm not a huge hophead either). If anything they will mellow out in a few weeks.

I'm glad you like the recipe. It's a PITA to brew, but the end result is always worth it! Cheers!
We were brewing it with some friends and I let them be in charge of the hop addition; it is all together possible that a bit extra got added heh

My GE 7.0 cu.ft. Keezer Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-h...-build-327739/

Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

BTW, we discovered a growler of this about 6 weeks ago. It had lost some of it's flavor, but not as much one would expect - it was still quite drinkable.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBrewmistress View Post
BTW, we discovered a growler of this about 6 weeks ago. It had lost some of it's flavor, but not as much one would expect - it was still quite drinkable.
I still have two bottles from a batch I brewed almost two years ago. I had a third but drank it last Fall (when it was a year old), and it held up pretty well to aging. The spices seemed more pronounced IMO.

I'm curious to see what it will taste like at two years old.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
joepsu0985
Recipes 

Is the sugar added at the same time as the extract?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #20
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepsu0985
Is the sugar added at the same time as the extract?
I usually add it late in the boil.

Quick Reply