Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Santa Baby - Spiced Holiday Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Looks good! Let me know how it turns out. I changed a few things up when I brewed this last week. I too used ginger, and I also gave full cinnamon sticks a shot. I used Safale S-04 as my yeast this time too.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot
Looks good! Let me know how it turns out. I changed a few things up when I brewed this last week. I too used ginger, and I also gave full cinnamon sticks a shot. I used Safale S-04 as my yeast this time too.
This is only the second spiced beer I've made so I have trouble estimating final flavors. For example, my Pumpkin Bock had barely any spice flavors at bottling but now that it's carbed, it's rather obviously but not overly spiced. The same should go for this beer...I think. I could barely taste those spices when I bottled it yesterday, thus, I'm expecting the carbonation to drive it out upon pouring. My limited experience with spiced beers tells me that a noticeable, pre-carbonation spice character will likely be too much?

www.draconianlibations@blogspot.com

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I suppose that's an accurate statement, yes. A lot of people make thar mistake too.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
brewha
Recipes 

I made this beer and it came out great. The wife loves it. I will be doing this again next winter. Thanks Moody.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Glad you like it!!! I made a few changes to the recipe this year, including the yeast. I used safale s-04. I am going to amend the original recipe posting, as I feel it was more successful with the s-04, though i do love it with the us-05 too!
Glad this beer was a hit for you either way!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This is what I'd consider to be the definitive recipe, since I can't edit my original post:

10lb American Two-row Pale
1lb Crystal 60
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
8oz Brown Sugar (final 10 min of boil)
4oz Special B Malt
2oz Roasted Barley

60 mins 1oz Vanguard
20 mins .5oz Cascade
10 mins .5oz Cascade

15min 1 tsp Irish Moss
5 min 4 Cinnamon sticks
5 min .5 tsp Ginger Powder
5 min .5 tsp Nutmeg
2 min 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
I boiled 6oz water and put it in a teacup with all the spices listed above (except the vanilla) and let it sit for at least 30min. I then dumped all of it into the boil at 5 min.

Yeast Safale S-04

OG- 1.062 - 1.070.
FG- 1.016 - 1.010
@ 80% efficiency i got 1.062 and 1.016. @86% efficiency I 1.070 and 1.010 out of the same ingredients by varying my sparge, but 1.062 is a good number to shoot for.

A few cinnamon sticks could be added to the secondary, but that's up to you. It really doesnt need it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
MMBB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How many volumes of Co2 do you think would be good for this brew? The second time around did you use the cinnamon/allspice in secondary?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Planning to brew a 3-gal BIAB batch of this tomorrow! Going to mash on the high side, and add about 1/2 lb of maltodextrin to try to really up the mouthfeel. I want this to be chewy, spicy, and warming.

for co2, I think i'll aim for around 1.8 - 1.9 volumes.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Let me know how it turns out! And to answer the question above, I have brewed this where I added a tincture of vodka with .5tsp cinnamon and a dash of allspice, added to the secondary (or right to the primary or even the keg) but I dont think it needs it. It's really easy to over-spice a beer, so definitely tread lightly on the spices because once you carbonate it, you get more of the spice than you did when you tasted the beer out of the fermentor.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 110

What's your thought process behind using flavor and aroma hop additions in this? I ask because I'm considering using a bittering addition only. Did you feel like the citra brings something to the table in this recipe?

Quick Reply