Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #561
smagic14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was a great brew day and even better tasting day!

forumrunner_20131029_223544.jpg  

Yea Mr White, Yea Science!

Good thing the Badgers play at 11 so I don't feel bad having a drink at 8AM

You can't drink all Day if you don't start early!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #562
StoutNoDoubt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm officially all out I could make some more!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #563
smijo
Recipes 

I made a batch of this back in October and it wasn't drinkable right away. Something was off about it. I left it in the basement until last week and I cracked one open. It was super clear, and smelled of pumpkin, but it was a little sour. There isn't a pellicle forming in any of the bottles or anything though. Anyways, it's absolutely delicious. I never thought a sour pumpkin beer would be any good. The problem is that I don't know where bacteria was introduced. Possibly in the bottling bucket because kegged beers off of the system have been fine. I'll be brewing this beer again to see what happens next time.

Maybe it's time to purposely turn this recipe sour.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #564
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smijo View Post
I made a batch of this back in October and it wasn't drinkable right away. Something was off about it. I left it in the basement until last week and I cracked one open. It was super clear, and smelled of pumpkin, but it was a little sour. There isn't a pellicle forming in any of the bottles or anything though. Anyways, it's absolutely delicious. I never thought a sour pumpkin beer would be any good. The problem is that I don't know where bacteria was introduced. Possibly in the bottling bucket because kegged beers off of the system have been fine. I'll be brewing this beer again to see what happens next time.

Maybe it's time to purposely turn this recipe sour.
I sometimes get a sour note from using pumpkin. Especially when the beer finishes drier than I'd like.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #565
mhayes
Recipes 

I liked your general idea, but I wanted to put my own spin on things. I made a 10 gallon batch. I used 16lbs of leftover Holloween pumpkins that I roasted. My 10 gallon cooler will not hold all the grain and the pumpkin, so I mashed the pumpkin up and boiled it separately. I got 4 gallons of pumpkin wort that I added to the boil. I used a strainer to get it all out. I added amber Belgian candi sugar (2lbs) to the boil.

I cold conditioned the beer after fermentation, and it cleared up nicely. The spices are there but what you taste is malt and pumpkin, not an overwhelming spice profile. My suggestion is to load up the pumpkin like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #566
Heff
Recipes 

Default Biab???

I'm want to try this recipe but my set up is BIAB. I have a little concern with the pumpkin plugging my bag and not letting all the sugars out. does anybody have some suggestions or thoughts?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #567
spam_and_eggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I feel like it shouldn't be a problem for BIAB. If it works with normal lautering it seems like it should work with a bag. If you don't already, you may want to sparge your BIAB just to make sure you get the sugars out. And use a finer crush. I forgot to ask my LHBS to double crush on my last BIAB brew and my efficiency dropped almost 15%. It turned my expected 4.2% session IPA in to a VERY VERY session IPA

Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #568
Heff
Recipes 

Ok thanks I'll rember that.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #569
kvedderman
Recipes 

Default KingBrianI

What molasses did you use? I have a green label one and a yellow labeled one.
Green=robust yellow=original... We use the robust to make gingerbread cookies and it is Fantastic!! So i'm thinking that one..

thanks for posting this it looks delicious!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #570
mhayes
Recipes 

I would just mash the pumpkin separately and use a big strainer to get the wort out. A side benefit of this is that you can put the pumpkin in a casserole dish and bake it later for your supper. More or less, when you are doing a pumpkin beer you have to do a double mash. As for molasses, I use the yellow kind that you can get at the regular grocery store. I'm sure that the dark molasses has a good flavor as well however the idea is to highlight the pumpkin more than anything else. I'm writing this in the month of August now and it is really making me look forward to the cool weather when pumpkins are available.

Quick Reply